Ghost Recon.net Forums

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont touch the 5800 not only is it huge and extremely noisy its discontinued.

i personaly only trust MSI cards and BTW the msi fx series is to date the only fx cards not to take up 2 slots as their cooling solution is quieter and more eficient than the competition

Thanks for all the help so far, you really are helping me. :thumbsup:

This table does have both the FX5600 Ultra and the Ti4600. They both outperform each other in three separate areas. Which does this table show to be the best performer? I know they are similar but one must be better than the other.

Sorry if I'm going on but I really don't have a clue. :stupid:

I've just found this for £150. Is this much better than the FX5600 Ultra (128MB)? This one is 256MB. Or which is the best card for £150 ($243.67)?

Edit: the card above is an FX5600 not an FX5600 Ultra.

These two cards are similarly priced. Would I be better off with the FX5600 with 256MB or the FX5600 (not ultra) with 128MB?

• GeForce FX5600 256MB DDR AGP RP DVI VO
    or
  • GeForce FX5600 Ultra 128MB DDR AGP RP ViVo DVI VO

Edited by [TCS]Recon

I have just discovered the following about my computer (motherboard I think):

AGP bus protocols:

4x/2x modes at 1.5 V

Does this mean I can't get a card with 8x AGP? :(

Will the performance be seriously lower? Anyone know for sure if it'll work (8x AGP at 4x AGP)?

Also, isn't the 256MB any better? Will I not need the extra memory?

Actually, right now, 4x technology performs better than 8x AGP. This was bared out in several tests with a card from all mfr's by maximum PC on Identical PC's. The frame rates and benchmarks were actually a bit lower on 8x than 4x. I believe the issue it was in was the May issue, maybe April.

Thats good :), might not last though (drivers maybe?). Anyway, is anyone 100% sure that this 8x AGP card will work on my 4x AGP motherboard? This is the only thing I'm not confident about.

Nothing in life is 100%, but with confidence, 8x AGP video cards are backwards compatible, so they will work just fine in 4x (and 2x as I recall) motherboards. They will simply run at the lower slot speed.

I don't really know. Nothing special. It came with my computer (Dell Dimension 8200). Details of it are here.

Some extracts:

Bus types

PCI and AGP

Bus speed

PCI: 33 MHz; AGP: 66 MHz

AGP connector

one

AGP connector size

172 pins

AGP connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

AGP bus protocols

4x/2x modes at 1.5 V

PCI connectors

four

PCI connector size

120 pins

PCI connector data width

(maximum)

32 bits

techov11.jpg
The Dell Dimension 8200 series motherboard uses the Intel 850 chipset, if that's of use to any of the tech heads around here.

There we go, means nothing to me, but at least we know :huh:. I've found this.

I do remember some little 'intel' chips now I think about it.

Edited by [TCS]Recon

im running an 8x agp equipped mobo with a 4x video card and ive neverr had any performance issues and as Phantom said there was some articles about 8x cards performing slightly less than 4 x cards, at the moment its a marketing ploy tho in the future im sure we will see the benefits of 8x mobos and vid cards