Graphics Cards

Recon

Which card is better?

The GeForce4 TI4600 or the GeForce FX5600?

Or is there something better than them both for a similar price?

Please help me... I need help with all this.

EDIT: ***Sorry, just realised I've put this is the wrong place - needs moving to 'Computer Discussions'***

Edited by [TCS]Recon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. Thanks. I was meaning the 128MB version. I've also just found this site but it only has the 5600 ultra and not the none-ultra version.

I don't really know what I'm comparing though. :stupid:

Edited by [TCS]Recon

Leaving the 5600 Ultra aside, the Ti4600 beats the regular 5600 128MB. Now, there are also Ti4600's out there that are updated with the 8x AGP option. So, Ti4600 beats the 5600 128, and the 5600 Ultra beats those. :thumbsup:

This is very confusing. Did you use this site to find that out? How come the FX5600 costs more if the GF3 Ti4600 is better? :huh: Also, is it much better or are they very close? Doesn't only the FX5600 support DX9? Is this important?

Edited by [TCS]Recon

The support for DX is in the drivers, not the card. The Ti4600 will support DX9.0a with the latest drivers.

As for the FX series, I cant comment on them, I havent even looked at them. But my rule of thumb is this.

Hardware has to be out 6 months before Ill even touch it. I want a good base of opinions and facts before I spend hard earned cash, plus the price drops bigtime.

A Ti4600 will last you a good long time yet. There isnt anything it wont run, and will continue to run for at least a year and a half yet. That is my opinion, and you will hear arguments against my way of thinking, but my computer runs everything I put on it, and Im still running a GeForce 4 MX440 with 64MB RAM ! !

If you have money to spend, get the FX. Also be prepared for some issues, as it is a very new product. Personally, I'd go with the Ti, especially if you're short on cash, and dont want aggravation.

Shouldn't the FX5600 be better because it's newer? Also, I was planning to buy on ebay where the prices are similar for both. Should I go for the similarly priced FX5600 then? I also point out this table again as I don't understand what's important and what to look at. Each card (Ti4600 and FX5600) 'beats' the other at some things but not at others. Also, what is this AGP 8x or 4x people mention? Is this an important feature and what does it do?

Thanks for the help so far though :thumbsup:

Edited by [TCS]Recon

Just because its newer doesnt make it better. If your not going to go with the FX 5600, go with the Ti4600. 8x AGP isnt that important, but if it were me buying the card, Id get one with it. ;)

Edited by Crimson

newer isnt always better a gf4 ti 4600 128 ddr was the nvidia flagship and the best on the market for quite awhile, the new line up of 5200, 5600 or 5900 plus their ultra versions are the new guys on the block as Phantom said and i agree wait till the hardware is fully customer tested before buying.

from what im reading in forums the picture quality isnt any real improvment over the gf4 ti line up unless you use ridiculously high resolutions a ti 4200 or 4600 will satisfy your gaming needs for atleast the next two years allowing the newer cards to get drivers that are totaly optimised, that also goes for the ATI versions, too many ppl believe newer is better just look at the 9500 and the 9600 replacment from what ive read most ppl bought into the higher card number believing it was more powerfull when in fact it is not id wait for a 5900 ultra to be affordable as im totaly satisfied with my gf4 ti 4200

One last quick question.

I noticed that the Ti4600 has 10.4GB/sec Peak Memory Bandwidth while the FX5600 only has 8.8GB/sec. This means nothing to me but I would have guessed that 'Peak Memory Bandwidth' is quite important. It might even be that lower is better, I don't know, but does the amount of 'Peak Memory Bandwidth' matter? Also, 'Fill Rate' is significantly lower. Is this important?

Edited by [TCS]Recon

For today's games, the key numbers to look at are peak fill rate in both pixels and texels, plus memory bandwidth. Generally, the higher the fill rate, the better the performance at high resolutions and with image-enhancing features like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering enabled. However, there are many exceptions to this rule. For instance, the Matrox Parhelia isn't nearly as fast as its texel fill rate would seem to indicate, because most games only apply two textures per rendering pass. On the flip side, newer chips like Radeon 9700 are much more efficient with anisotropic filtering and antialiasing than older designs.

So 'Memory Bandwidth' is important? :stupid:

Pricewatch says the Ti4600 is more expensive than the FX5600. More expensive generally means better, doesn't it?

Edited by [TCS]Recon

...while we are on this topic....I noticed that for Nividia cards, there are like a million ones carrying the Geforce name...PNY...Albatross...Chaintech...I presume these are all manufacturers using Nvidia's chipset?...which one of these is better? :blink:

Edited by ghost gamer