"The Rock" a map based on the movie?

JTF-2

as i was watching "the Rock" last night when I had a revelation: this would make an AMAZING map and mission(s). but seeing as i am severly limited by my modding skills i decided to take the propostion to the GR.net forums (god bless 'em)

it could even be split up into a couple of missions

-getting into the prision (including the firefight in the shower)

-disarming the rockets (before you are killed or the planes bomb you into the next life)

how would someone like to do this? it would be really sweet.

any volunteers? what do you guys think?

Edited by JTF-2

I remember sometime last year someone actually started work on an Alcatraz map, I haven't the faintest memory of who it was tho, there was definately some max renders, maybe someone knows...

A guy by the name of Copper started recreating the map though he stated awhile ago that he had long since ceased any further work on it.

JTF-2,

WOW, I watched that last night and thought the same thing! I did a search on the internet to see if I could find a floor plan or layout for it. Did not have much luck though!

Your right, it could be an excellent couple of missions as well as possibily a campaign!

I will continue to see if I can find a layout of the "Rock" and if I do, I will share it with everyone.

sweet guys! i'll have a look around a see if i can find a floor plan too. i'll let you know if i have any luck

someone should really have another go at making this map and mission. i think it would be really cool. :D

i'd love to do it but my 3DSM skills are exactly up to scratch ;)

Hi

there was a mod of 'The Rock' for Rogue Spear/Urban Ops which was pretty good except for the worst Shawn Canary impression I have ever heard :D

Tried to find it on google but no joy. Pretty sure I have it on a CD somewhere. It is pretty large 20+ MB IIRC

• 2 weeks later...
I remember sometime last year someone actually started work on an Alcatraz map, I haven't the faintest memory of who it was tho, there was definately some max renders, maybe someone knows...

A guy by the name of Copper started recreating the map though he stated awhile ago that he had long since ceased any further work on it.

I remember that. It looked really Good. too bad.

Check this out!

de_rock03.jpg

de_rock04.jpg

A map like this would work great for RvS. The lack of ladder support in GR would really limit the level however. I could create a level much like this one from scratch in 3d Studio Max in a few months. That's modeling, texture mapping, lighting, the works. It is just a matter of finding time to do it which I have absolutlely none of at the moment. If you have CS check it out in game. Pretty cool map based on the movie. Download link for this CS map is below.

http://www.3d-mike.com/game/de_rock.htm

Edited by Low Profile

I have detailed images and maps of the real Alcatraz from my visit there in 2001. I could look them out and try to help with the design. The only problem is that "The Rock"'s version of Alcatraz and the real Alcatraz are very different places...

I was very dissappointed when I found the real morgue, real shower room and saw the real lighthouse :(

I have detailed images and maps of the real Alcatraz from my visit there in 2001. I could look them out and try to help with the design. The only problem is that "The Rock"'s version of Alcatraz and the real Alcatraz are very different places...

I was very dissappointed when I found the real morgue, real shower room and saw the real lighthouse :(

thats funny considering they really filmed that movie in Alcatraz and the bay area.

I have actually seen most of the locations that they filmed that movie.

If i remember correctly though, they used some rooms for different things then they really were at the island.

Pyro_Monty,

Is there any chance you could put those images and maps into digital format, so they could be shared with the community? That way we may end up with a "Rock" map? :D

Well yeah, I'll do my best. Lemme look them out a sec...

Hotpants, yeah, I know they filmed a lot of the exterior shots on location but I don't know if a lot of the interior would have been suitable for filming. No underground tunnels on the real island either :( It was a really cool place though, I'd love to go back there again. I know it sounds odd seeing as it was a prison and all :sheep:

Okay, let me find this stuff.

Edit - Got the best part but some is missing. It looks like these shots were actually taken as renders from a 3D model. It might be worth asking the 'Golden Gate National Parks Association' if they have that 3D model sitting about somewhere? ;)

Anyway, the thing is A3 size, so I just took a pic of it:

alcatraz.jpg

Excuse the mess in the background, you can probably make out parts of computer components and packaging :rolleyes:

Any ideas for scanning it in? I could take it to my Mum's work, they might have an A3 scanner...

bodhisattva, thanks! That link provides more information on the "Rock" than any thing else that I could find!

The outer map and inner diagram is pretty good but the "mini photo" tour really brings a lot of it together.

Hopefully, one of these excellent Map modders we have in the community will consider the project. I think the GR Community would eat up a map like this, I am just hoping it will not be too big a project to make a reality?

Thanks again!

hey, no prob on the diagram. I have enough time between classes to do a little surfing but not enough free time to work this mod.

I just got in my copy of 3dsm and downloaded a ton of tuts from the community, but the homework comes first, you know. Maybe I'll hash out a bit on semester break, but the rest of you guys, don't wait on me.

Glad to be of service. If you make it before I do, toss me a link for the d/l.

the bodhisattva

ps, I need a cool pic of the smiling buddha. Let me know if you can help.

Thanx..... :D