tears of the sun weapons

dagger

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie was good untill the last scene where two F/A-18´s came in armed with Air-to-Air ordnance to give air-support...

It would have been quite OK if they would have taken their time to get a pair of Hornets with a pair of Maverics instead...

I know it´s a tiny detail, but I can´t help comparing this to a fart during the act...

Edited by Tollen

The movie was good untill the last scene where two F/A-18´s came in armed with Air-to-Air ordnance to give air-support...

It would have been quite OK if they would have taken their time to get a pair of Hornets with a pair of Maverics instead...

I know it´s a tiny detail, but I can´t help comparing this to a fart during the act...

yeah.. I noticed that too.. hornets with AMRAAMs and sidewinders.. shooting maverics. ;)

but.. all the stuff with the SEALs was pretty damn good. especially when they go in to that village to stop the ethnic cleansing..

good story.. good movie..

as for a mod of these weapons... get Earl's Standard Upgrade. Thats basically it. Minus the shotgun and LAW's.

Edited by DWilliams11

Yes DWilliams11, you´ve heard me. it ruined the whole film for me...

EDIT: I´m sorry that I wrote the wrong name... it wasn´t ment to be towards Stalker_Zero. My comment was targeted at DWilliam11, no one else. :wall:

Edited by Tollen

are you sure that they were air to air ordinance?? HARM missiles look just like AAM's, but they are meant for ground targets.

They definately look like AIM-120's on the under-wing pylons and AIM-9's on the wingtips, which obviously have no air-to-ground capability. Also the real shots they show of the F/A-18's have no ordnance whatsoever, the missiles are 3D rendered using cgi.

And also HARM's only home in on air search radars, and can't be used against armed personell or armor, erc. Nes, pas?

right but my point was that HARMs are air to ground and they look and awful lot like AAM.

BTW...Hornets only carry AIM-9s on the wingtips and they always carry them on missions.

There really isnt much difference as far design between the AIM120, AIM7. or the HARM. Mostly dimension wise and capabilitys.

If you want to get technical, then you wouldnt fire mavericks at personal, either. Mavericks are used for moving armour such as tanks.

LOL...you dont think I know this stuff, SC?. Im hopefully going to be flying those in a few years. That is unless they ship me off to Helos like most people these days.

I understand the point that it was a little odd seeing Hornets fire something like that, but cmon...its just a movie..

LOL...you dont think I know this stuff, SC?. Im hopefully going to be flying those in a few years. That is unless they ship me off to Helos like most people these days.

I understand the point that it was a little odd seeing Hornets fire something like that, but cmon...its just a movie..

I said way up this thread: If they atleast could have carried Maverics (due to the fact that those atleast are AGM´s).. But W8. I´ll take a look at the move again and let´s see whats happens...

The AGM-88 HARM looks nearly identical to the AIM-120 AMRAAM, with the exception that the HARM is a lot bigger and the aft fins are shaped a little differently. HARMs use a passive RADAR seeker head to guide to its target, and can target any radiation (RADAR) emitting target. E.i, you can shoot other stuff besides SAM sites. ;)

Just like on the F-16, AMRAAMs can be fitted to wingtip pylons. AIM-9's aren't the sole ordinance anymore.

Edited by Incubus

Ahhh... Atlast... I would say now that it´s beyond any doubt that it´s AMRAAM´s under those wings :yes:

Proof?

Take a look at these two pic´s. One is from the movie, and another is from FAS.ORG on a Hornet, laden with AAM´s.

amraam-dvic409.jpg

And please note the forward fins on the missile. Compare the proportions of those with this one, a Sparrow being fired:

aim-7-dvic402.jpg

I once wanted to be a fighterpilot to. But I wised up and are heading for the Army ;-)

Edited by Tollen

all that first screen is is blackness. The point I was trying to get across here is that their are Ag weapons that look like AAM. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut though.

I also talked about the mavericks in my post.

@Incubus,

I was under the impression that fleet hornets still dont carry AIM120's on their wingtips due to forces during traps. I have heard of ordinance actually coming off of the wingtips and pylons due to trapping.

@Tollen

I already got accepted into the Navy's flight program. I would rather be a windguzzler then a ground pounder anyday.

all that first screen is is blackness.  The point I was trying to get across here is that their are Ag weapons that look like AAM.  I guess I should have kept my mouth shut though.

Shouldn´t we all :rolleyes:

*lying in the gutter, drinking hard*

Edited by Tollen

Tollen, look very closely at the fins on the missile from the movie. It slopes back at approx. 30 degrees, then angles at 15 degrees. Whereas in your pic of the AMRAAMs, the fins are a constant ~50 degrees. Those are HARMs in the movie. Also note the size of the missiles; if you look at where the rear of the movie's missiles are, they extent nearly to the back of the wing, under the flaps. HARMs are approx. 164 inches long, AMRAAMs are only 144 - that's almost 2 feet longer. Trust me, I know my airplanes and ordinances; those are AGM-88s.

Blakeness, the Marine Corps flies Hornets with wingtip AMRAAMs. I have a poster of one sitting in my office. Not all Hornets are deployed on carriers at all times. Congrats on being accepted into the flight program, good luck, and do your best to let the Air Force know who the best pilots really are.

@Incubus,

I know that not all Hornets are deployed. But the ones in TotS were!! ;). There is usually one Marine squadron per CAW, but I just read a memo from the Navy that states that they are planning on implementing more Marine Hornets to the fleet and sending some Navy birds to shore duty. It has to do with the Navy birds reaching their limits on traps.

@TheBlakeness (HotPants)

Have to say that Incubus proved me wrong and thus, I´m sorry about the fact THAT I WAS WRONG, aswell as the fact that you where correct. :wall::-"

It was a good sparring-match though!

@Incubus

"Many good arguments have been spoiled by people that actually knows what they are talking about". Looked twice at my pick and I´ll be damned. The missile got a "clipped" tail (contra the pointed on the AIM-120).

Edited by Tollen

hey tollen,

its ok man. Its a pretty honest mistake. There are still discrepencys with that scene. Like with firing a HARM there is no need to throw smoke like the SEALs did unless they were gonna fire blind. Also..I still dont see the reason why they would use HARMs in the first place, nor a laser guided heavy warhead missile like a Maverick. Use something like dumb bombs or cluster bombs..I would think

I know the UN doesn't like it being used...but nothing beats napalm for soft targets.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"..."smells like victory!"

Tollen, don't sweat it... I'm sure the guy directing the movie didn't know what it was.

I really wish directors and producers would do their job and research the stuff they are portraying in these movies. Jerry Bruckheimer (Black Hawk Down) and Steven Speilberg (Saving Private Ryan) seem to be the only two that did this... and even they got a few details wrong. Oh well, thats just Hollywood. At least the movies are fun to watch.