tears of the sun weapons

dagger

I've never heard of a HARM with a white phosphorous warhead, either. Another discrepancy is the radio they use. The RO is carrying a UHF radio, which is strictly line of sight, but talking to the ship like he is using an HF radio, which can talk long distances. You can tell it's UHF from the "donkey dick" style antenna. I know you can't expect too much from Hollywood, but if they're going to go through trouble of using actual tactics (i.e. the peel they do when trying to break contact), it'd be nice if they could get some of the other minor details correct.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I thought there must have been a professional on the set. If you look closely at the movie, you see that each and everyone of them, SEAL´s, the africans and even the women are handling the weapons with some kind of security, atleast I didn´t see any fingers on the triggers unles they are actually firing.

Edited by Tollen

yeah I was convinced that they had a good advisor when The SEALs were doing the leapfrog towards the end...thats a classic SEAL manuvere.

BTW...Harry Humphries also worked on Black Hawk Down, GI Jane, and The Rock to name a few. He even appeared in GI Jane and the Rock.

Like I said he is a former SEAL and UDT who served in Nam with ST2 under "demo dick"...thats Dick Marcinko to all of you out of the loop.

Edited by TheBlakeness (HotPants)

Yeah. But I´m a bit shoocked.... apparently, he´s involved in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl to...

Can that be because of particular underwater skills :shifty:

TheBlakeness (HotPants), now you gave me some inspiration to a movie-weekend to... The Harry Humphries weekend... :o=

Edited by Tollen

Well isnt Pirates of the Carribean a Bruckheimer film?? Im pretty sure that Humphries is contracted under Jerry Bruckheimer. I think he sneaks away whenever he can to do SEAL movies though. He kind of mentioned that thats his favorite in the TotS special features.

I havnt seen Pirates yet but do they use any guns?? He may have been brought on just to advise on proper procedures for use, etc....

Isn't this topic now horrificly off-topic. :lol: Yeah the weapons do look more like the HARM than the AMRAAM or even the Sparrow.

Now the point I was trying to make was that the HARM would have to be fired without any guidance as it's seeker package is designed to home in on and kill radars, as I said. The Maveric however has TV and now, I believe, laser guidance so it can attack any target on the ground, including surface threats or people if need be.

Okay, saw the movie, and thought it was very good. Now when I saw the weapons, I started thinking "AMRAAAM". HARM is very distinctive compared to an AMRAAM. The AMRAAM has smaller fins and very triangular. The HARM has a cranked design on the Forward fins, while the rear ones are smaller.

AGM-88

AGM-88

AMRAAM:

AIM-120 link

For the HARM to lock onto targets, the system requires a seeker system that is normally attached (I would say) where one of the AIM-7s is mounted, the HARM Target Seeker (HTS). On F-16s it's mounted on the left portion of the intake, where the LANTIRN and such are mounted. If those were HARMs on the pylons, the color would have given it away instantly. The AMRAAM usually has dark black fins, hence the appearance that they look more like AIM-120s than HARMs.

The Maverick can be targeted with TV, IIR (Imaging Infrared), and of course laser guided models (where as such for the "low-tech" A-10 the Pave Penny system picks it up and shows the spot target). Why the movie people used AMRAAMs don't know, it's just like ID4 when all that seemed to existed where F-18s with Harpoon anti-ship missiles.

Back on topic, this will be my next project, i will be making skins, weps, and maps and missions, *hopefully* after Ghany is done, i want to make it for a game with a more "interactive" engine tjough, so if your lookin for any TOTS mod from me in GR, ur SOL.

Off topic but...............

With regard to movies and pro advice. I once witnessed the making of a scene where an ex-SAS sniper in full ghillie etc was asked to hide in a field by a director. Off goes the sniper and hides. Director returns and scans the field. "I can't see you" he says. From the field came "That's the ######ing point!" After about two hours of the director moving the sniper he finally shot the scene with the sniper kneeling, still in full ghillie, in the middle of a hard top road! By now the ex-SAS guy was just "working for the money". :wall:

By the way were those HARMs or AMRAAMs? :D

Back on topic, this will be my next project, i will be making skins, weps, and maps and missions, *hopefully* after Ghany is done, i want to make it for a game with a more "interactive" engine tjough, so if your lookin for any TOTS mod from me in GR, ur SOL.

well I have been considering this also as my next work, and I like modding for GR...so you can probably expect a GR one from me later on down the line.

Off topic but...............

With regard to movies and pro advice. I once witnessed the making of a scene where an ex-SAS sniper in full ghillie etc was asked to hide in a field by a director. Off goes the sniper and hides. Director returns and scans the field. "I can't see you" he says. From the field came "That's the ######ing point!" After about two hours of the director moving the sniper he finally shot the scene with the sniper kneeling, still in full ghillie, in the middle of a hard top road! By now the ex-SAS guy was just "working for the money". :wall:

By the way were those HARMs or AMRAAMs? :D

Damn what a story...

Their where HARM´s

I dont believe the M4 in the movie had a ACOG, correct em if i'm wrong, but it had some aimpoint variation, IIRC, amazingly, it had a nice zoom feature on it, and the second rifle, was a xm-21, i belive, u can see it clearly when he goes to shoot the "spy" damn, what a shot. HOOYAH!

well I have been considering this also as my next work, and I like modding for GR...so you can probably expect a GR one from me later on down the line.
unless GR 2 comes out, i'm noit doin any more Total Coversions for GR, i'll make weps and chrs, but thats it.