SWEBAT 2005 - Progress Thread

Tollen

For those of you who wondered why I stayed out of this round of the WMC, here's a render of what has been occupying my modding time:

The KSP58 in 1700 or so polys (went for details).

SB_KSP58blu1.jpg

The final version will have some tweaks yet to be finalized.

Still have work to do..... ;)

Hm...shouldn't the ammo box be hanging on the side of the weapon, and not below it?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, @Thumper...it's just that I made exactly the same mistake with my MAG 58 model, and received the same criticism...

Your model looks simply great, so it would be a shame if one little inaccuracy would open it to some less-then-nice "criticism".. (read: "spitting all over it")

All I meant to say was that the "editors" took a red pen to some of the work, not all of it. I am never offended or hurt by constructive feedback or criticism. Stop beating up on yourselves, I could not improve without criticism and feedback. Besides, I've never handled the M240 and its family of cousins. I had no idea about how the ammo boxes are mounted. I do now. Better I learned now and not right after the mod release. We'd like to minimize the need for patching.

And don't go fussing at Tollen and Snowfella either. We are working to make this mod "one of the benchmarks" in details and other features. We hold each other to the standards (remembers Snow's first AK5's and how good they looked? Check those against his newest).

We all strive to better ourselves.

No need to apologize :rocky: I'm cool with it. I think my dry (and offbeat) humor can confuse those who are not used to it.

As we want to keep this as real as possible, we are alos trying to illustrate some real world infantry-tactics.

You have the small pouch for when you advance, but when the crap really hit's the fan, you'll want something even meaner and we know that Thumper will provide that to ;)

*oops, allready saying to much* :-"

*seeing collective smile on all GR-players that been in various armed forces* :devil:

Well, so much for secrecy! :(:wall:

That's pretty much exactly what we are planning swifty. Although it won't be using the Underbarrel tag as it would go all to fast to change belts that way. One of the kits with that beauty is going to feature with will carry a 49 round box as primary and a 249 round belt as secondary.

The primary will be coded so its marginally usable while standing and crouching and the secondary will be just about impossible to use aslong as you aren't prone, this due to the weight of a 249 round belt. All to mimic the way the Swedish army uses their 58's, it will be a true support weapon! No run and gun here!

And swifty....thank god we have other suprises in store or the team might seriously consider making one mission with objective "hunt swifty" Tollen is already half and half planning the coding of it! :o=5.gif3.gifcamo.gif

Swebat Team bong.gif swifty

;);)

Snow

I think using kits to make a single weapon more flexible is a great idea, but I hadn't thought of this one yet. very original. I have a homebrew mod that I use to play single player and coop missions with my lan buddies, stealing skins and models from various mods to make one big über mod. any models with dual mags get the underbarrel treatment for fast mag switching (I had this before the upcoming interfet mod btw.. :ph34r: that is the mod that is tied for first with this one for my most anticipated). fast mag switching is loads of fun... earl's rpk, for example, has taped together mags. and there's nothing like an ak-74 with fast mag switching either, hehe. my dual mag mp5 is unbeatable for fast building clearing when you're moving from room to room quickly.

one thing I've not seen anyone do is zoom adjustment, where you can "click down" your scoped zoom for faster target aquisition. do the underbarrel trick to a weapon that doesn't zoom as far but has a faster reticule. for those long shots step up the zoom. hint, hint, ak5b, hint... of course, then you have to deal with the nonsense issue of separate ammo loadouts. maybe you use different grain ammo for those longer shots? :blink:

other ideas include a kit with a secondary identical but suppressed weapon, with appropriate models (no holsterpoints unless you use the underbarrel trick), but the only way to reconcile the two ammo loadouts would have to be that your suppressed version uses different rounds, like subsonic ammo. I have a kit setup with a sr-25sd this way, given that it can accept whisper ammo as well.

anyway, I'm going to turn to my homebrew mod now and adapt your new trick to some m4's with beta cmags... if you catch my drift...

oh, and if you want to come huntin' for me in the mod go for it! as long as I get that ak5b with a suppressor and gl attached.. :rocky:

Well, so much for secrecy! :(:wall:

That's pretty much exactly what we are planning swifty. Although it won't be using the Underbarrel tag as it would go all to fast to change belts that way. One of the kits with that beauty is going to feature with will carry a 49 round box as primary and a 249 round belt as secondary.

The primary will be coded so its marginally usable while standing and crouching and the secondary will be just about impossible to use aslong as you aren't prone, this due to the weight of a 249 round belt. All to mimic the way the Swedish army uses their 58's, it will be a true support weapon! No run and gun here!

And swifty....thank god we have other suprises in store or the team might seriously consider making one mission with objective "hunt swifty" Tollen is already half and half planning the coding of it! :o=5.gif3.gifcamo.gif

Swebat Team bong.gif swifty

;);)

Snow

What a great idea! :wall: Too bad I couldn't think of it... ;)

Oh, well, one can't do it all...

This will definetly add to the realism of heavy support weapons. Although, in real life, there would be a gunner's assistant handling all that extra ammo and the spare barrel..

Although I was a medic during my active time, i did all kind of crazy crap during the war, and in one ocasion that included assisting the gunner..

4 of us went out on a self-given assignment to take out an enemy machine gun nest. Our gunner was carring an old (but good) MG-42 7,9mm with a 50rd belt packed in a metal drum container. I had a spare drum, and we didn't even took the spare barrel with us..it was supposed to be hit-and-run mission...

Anyway, we spent a few hours crawling trough the corn field and finaly reached a nice little clearing that was a few hundred meters away from our target..

Our gunner fired a series of short bursts, doing some damage...and then, before we even had time to reload the MG, two enemy gunners we never even saw opened fire on us...

To cut the long story short, we found cover in the irrigation ditch (and yes, it was half full with water)..our MG was still out on the open, so we had to wait some 4 hours till it was dark enough, and then the gunner crawled back and retreived it...

Looking back, I remember being scared, excited, tired, hungry, wet, cold...but for the life of me, I can't figure out why was it so much fun!

Well Streinger, there is a lot of veterans that can't explain why either.

We swede's, being vikings and 6 feet tall berserks have adopted a bit of a varity with support-weapons tactics.

During advance, our mechanized units have realised that you can stuff some 4-500 rounds into the loadbearing gears different pounches and some even sew there own ammo-bags.

ksp58_bandvaska.jpg

This makes that for unmounted combat and in short sprints. A gunner can run with all this ammo and use it.

The Airborne Infantry Battalion (which is the base of our mod) have adopted much the same tactic.

During longer movement, the gunner uses the 49 round pounches, while his combat-partner is carrying the second barrel and a can or two (depending on the situation) containing 250 rounds (249 really since the first link in the FN MAG58 have to be empty to feed). Even more ammo is spread out amongst the group.

During defensive combat and when the troop is entrenched, then the machinegunners combat-partner becomes his loader.

So we have combined the best of two worlds. During normal oprations with the KSP 58, the machinegunner will carry a few pouches and some other mission essential gear (guns, grenades), or he get this kit when he have fewer 49-round pounches, but this big ammo load stuffed in the different poaches, ready to rock'n'roll if needed.

The only units that have designated loaders for the KSP 58 is the Amphibious Corps that have placed a few MG's and other heavy-support weapons in a platoon and asigned one such platoon to every rifle-company, while the rifle-platoons still keeps some support weapons (like the KSP 90/FN Minimi).

But still, most of the people in the swedish defence forces (from the navy's groundborne radar-operators to the army's transport & supply personel) knows how to use the heavy support weapons like the KSP 58.

Nice.

A problem with doing it without using the "under barrel" funtion is that the character will "switch weapon". So if it is tagged for it, the character will have 2 KSP 58B on him. I would suggest using the under barrel method to get around this, but it's up to the development team to decide what they want for this mod.

Nice.

A problem with doing it without using the "under barrel" funtion is that the character will "switch weapon". So if it is tagged for it, the character will have 2 KSP 58B on him. I would suggest using the under barrel method to get around this, but it's up to the development team to decide what they want for this mod.

Thank you Wolfsong, but, we have another solution :P

Edited by Tollen

Nice.

huh? I don't really get the problem.. with or without the underbarrel bit active a weapon will be switched.. as long as they don't have holsterpoints it should be fine.

Nice.

huh? I don't really get the problem.. with or without the underbarrel bit active a weapon will be switched.. as long as they don't have holsterpoints it should be fine.

It's was the holster point I was talking about when I refered to the weapon being tagged for it.

And if you have it as underbarrel the character will not use the animation of switching weapon. Even if you don't have a holsterpoint it will still look like he puts away 1 weapon and takes another one in the game when switching.

My first idea involved using the underbarrel funktion but after some discussion we desided against it. For one simple reason, it switches to fast! It would have to be one heck of a quick gunner to switch ammo bags in the few moments it takes when you use the underbarrel function. The few more seconds it takes when you do it the other way, with weapons without holsterpoints, mimics the time it would take to change belts better.

Snow