White-Skull Valley

deleyt

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I understand that you have good intentions, I think releasing this is a bad idea. RSE have already provided a full sample map for people to learn from. Anyone that has the knowledge to decipher this beast of a map that you have created would have no trouble learning from the example map already. You are going to end up with bits and pieces swiped from your work at best, other than that all I foresee is an endless stream of the same old(basic 3D modelling) questions we see from people who have never even worked with a 3D program before.

The example map RSE provided has more than any beginning mapper could ask for as an example. Those guys really did us right back then.

Point taken, Sleeper.

The Castle-map RSE provided does explain a lot and will still be the number one reference for mappers.

I didn't release my map to replace RSE's, but simply supply it as an addon, to explain a more complex layout then the Castle-map has.

After all, the Castle-map is quite simple, layout wise.

There are also a few minor "errors" (although they do not affect gameplay) in the Castle-map that made me scratch my head several times and I bet others must have aswell.

They involve sherman-leveling and occluders mainly.

As for people using my geometry and textures: well, so be it.

It's usually the unexperienced people that use other people's work.

This has always been the case and will probably not be different this time.

Weighting both arguments, I figured releasing it for the better half of people outweights the ones that might miss-use it.

• 2 months later...

Just want to add my thanks to deleyt and everyone else who worked on WSV. It's truly a phenomenal map. Reading through this mega thread made me appreciate even more the skill, dedication, and perfectionism such modders display. To my surprise I found there were to be other maps in the WSV series called White Skull Town. Has that ever been released?

One question.... does the elevator shaft in the wine storage room connect to anything? Just wondered if it was a clue that there was something else to look for... maybe another "secret" cave where the bears are, or a tunnel from the castle.

Edited by cryptomorph

Thanks for the compliments. :)

@ cryptomorph:

White-Skull Town has reached about 50% of it's work but was cancelled because of lack of spare time.

However, I recently have send the entire source to Blakarion as he needed a few maps for his mod called Operation: Red Storm

If all goes as planned, he will finish it and include it there.

There was also a map called White-Skull Train but eventually got renamed to Trainride as it did not have any link to WSV after a while.

White-Skull Town has reached about 50% of it's work but was cancelled because of lack of spare time.

However, I recently have send the entire source to Blakarion as he needed a few maps for his mod called Operation: Red Storm

If all goes as planned, he will finish it and include it there.

There was also a map called White-Skull Train but eventually got renamed to Trainride as it did not have any link to WSV after a while.

Great... I'd hate to see all that work that went into WST never see the light of day.

So I can't help but notice that twice, here and in the Easter Egg thread, you've not addressed the question whether the elevator shaft in WSV is there for effect or is a clue that we should be looking for some secret tunnels that lead there. LOL

Sorry about that: The elevatorshaft was initially used to connect to a third tunnel-system but it all got scrapped in order to finish the mod.

Thanks.... now I can stop running around WSV like a madman. LOL

Since I assume you have no plans to revamp WSV... where was the tunnel system going to lead to? Was the elevator going to work?

Since I assume you have no plans to revamp WSV... where was the tunnel system going to lead to? Was the elevator going to work?

There's nothing to revamp on WSV. I'm pretty sure the map is bugfree.

Besides, it takes ages to even load the map, let alone add new stuff. Exporting and lighting it isn't funny either.

The tunnel was leading to 3 more rooms with a couple of staircases inbetween. Something similar to the ones inside the mountain already and they would have been outside the commandmap, so nobody would be able to see you there.

The elevator was scheduled to work, yes.

A controlpanel would be close to the shaft and if it was pressed (using the activation-key) the elevator would come up, or go down.

I've only used the sound of an elevator eventually, giving the impression something was going on down below. :devil: