Graphics problem

tecmic

<_<

Hi, Just replaced CRT monitor with an LCD version. All good except GR is experiencing colour corruption. That is blacks are coming up pink or mauve and other colours are completely wrong. Tried reverting to previous graphics driver, different resolutions, 16 bit colour, in game and system settings but no luck!

This is only happening with Ghost Recon !!!!

Sys spec.

Windows XP Home SP1 & latest patches

MSI KT4V m/b

Athlon 2 Ghz cpu

512Mb PC2100 DDR ram

MSI GF 4400TI graphics accelerator (Detonator 44.67)

Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1

DX9

C:\ 29 Gb, D:\ 19Gb, E:\ LG DVD Ram drive, F:\ HP CDwriter

Broadband

Any ideas?

M.

only thing that comes to mind is your monitor refresh rate did you change it after changing the monitor, if for instance you had it set to 75hz or higher on a traditional monitor your new LCD may be having issues trying to display at over 60 hz, i may be wrong here but check your display adapter settings

other than that check thru all options in properties and make sure the second monitor out connection and options are enabled correctly

failing that a reinstall of gr might be in order if its the only game with that issue

Edited by snakebite1967

LCD's dont have Refresh Rates Snake, but good call. They are either on or off.

The only other thing I can think of is, is there a driver disk or some such that came with the monitor?

I dont know much about LCD's, they arent really a gaming type display. But when Plasma becomes affordable, that will Rock ! !

;)

Thanks for the suggestions people, appreciate your interest.

Phantom, LCD's do have refresh rates and mine can deal with 50 - 75Hz. I have 75Hz selected in the GF 4400 setup. I also used to think that LCD's were inferior to CRT's for fast action gaming but technology has moved on and this GNR F173 17" is pretty good. (20ms response) Perhaps not 100% as good as my old CRT for overall screen clarity but you get what yer pay for! £295 for a 17" LCD is a very good price. Loads of space on my worksurface now and practically no electromagnetic emissions! (I was getting headaches occassionally!)

Dannik, Fog table emulation is set ON.

Snake, You don't say what graphical issues you had or what you did to resolve them?

Anyway guys, why should it only affect GR?

Well boo on my suggestion.

As for it only affecting GR, Ghost Recon uses an odd engine (a very good one, thanks to RSE) but so proprietary that I'm not shocked there's an issue. Still a stumper on resolution of your issue. <_<

Now, in retrospect, I've seen similar issues with my install of GR... Mipmapping turned on? Turn it off. Off? Turn it on... That sort of fiddly bit may be of use.

Good luck. :unsure:

:D

Yes indeedy, LCD's are worth a look, especially if yer willing to pay more than I did. As for plasma, well I'm not Bill Gates so suppose I'll wait 5 years for the price to come down. I've read that plasma TV's are experiencing reliability problems. I don't think the technology is fully perfected yet and I've certainly not seen one that was small enough to sit on my desk for use with ma rig.

Whilst we're on the subject, some guys at Cambridge University, UK have developed LEP (Light Emitting Polymers) screens. These polymers can be sprayed on a substrate eg. a sheet of paper, plastic etc. etc. which can be rolled up after use or slid away somewhere out sight. I don't know anything about the electronics but prototype screens have produced image quality as good as or better than plasma. Very cheap to manufacture. So why haven't we seen these on the market? Seems like they are having trouble launching them as a commercial product, I wonder why? Are the 'big boys' making it difficult? Cos this technology would most probably wipe out the established systems (CRT,LCD, Plasma) overnight!!!!

Waddia think?

M.

ps Tried mipmapping on/off, no luck.

id make sure you delete all drivers of your system, especialy from your original card then try the 29.42 driver and move up from there, i had issues with gr and a new monitor, but in the end it ended up having somthing to do with the MSI software disk i foolishly installed, once i had deleted everything and did a fresh clean driver install my issues were at an end

Thanks Snake but, since I originally installed the MSI GF card I've reformatted and installed XP, fresh several times for other reasons. There won't be anything of MSI driver software on my system. I tend to go with the official nvidia drivers or, now and again, the latest version if the write-ups are positive as at the moment eg. 44.67.

M.

Well, for now, give me a good ol' fashioned 19" or 21" CRT.

I havent seen an LCD yet that I liked for gaming that didnt give me a headache after watching it for a bit. Not only that, but when the transistors start going out, you start getting little white specs all over your screen.

Neither LCD or Plasma is good enough right now for full motion gaming IMO, and both are still too much money.

Yeah, ok Phantom. Yer just trying to get me worrying but we have the same technology TV and that's been ok to-date.

Think of it this way: I don't have an electron gun firing photons at me anymore and a lot more space on ma desk. Anyway, this is interesting but it isn't solving ma problem. Whatever the cause it's in the GR software cos, as I said, I can run the AVI's (intro, outro etc) outside GR in MS Media Player with NO corruption and nothing else is producing this problem.

M.

No, Im not trying to get you to worry at all. Some people like the LCD's, and I proly would too. But they seriously do give me a headache and make my eyes hurt, when playing full motion games, or watching movies because of the way they work.

And I have seen some games that just dont like LCD's, and I dont know if its the graphics card not liking the LCD or what. What kind of connection do you have between the LCD and your video card? Is it the standard 15 pin connection, S Video, or composite?

I also realize that the Video properties control panel may offer a refresh rate to use, but I think its a default. Does the LCD book that came with your monitor say it has variable refresh rates? I still havent found an LCD yet where that is truly adjustable. Windows has to have the option there for Windows, but I dont think you can actually adjust the refresh on those. I'll keep looking. I may still be totally off the mark.

Here is a good link explaing how the two technologies work. From everything Ive found so far, Refresh rates on LCD's are not variable in the least because of how they are built, they cant be. The resolution is the only thing variable.

I hope this helps a bit. I know it doesnt exactly relate to GR, but it may help come to a conclusion, I dont know.

Edited by phantom110565

Hi Phantom,

I'll admit I'm not totally familiar with LCD techs and I'll look at the link you've provided. Maybe it will provide an answer to my colour corruption prob.

The LCD - PC link is standard 15 pin.

The manual states supported modes are:-

640x480@60/70Hz through to 1280x1024@60/70/75Hz

From this is I assume it can operate at any of these levels so, in the GF 4400TI settings I've set monitor refresh at 75Hz and resolution at 1152x864. It looks fine to me, image is steady with no flickering.

Ok, the CRT would take 80Hz refresh but see no difference. I used to run my CRT at 1024x728@80Hz.

Regarding my worrying comment, I was just joking. We all have to take responsibility for our own choices and I'm not trying to convince you that LCD is better or worse, just that I like it, at the moment!

M.

Here's the deal from what I know about LCD's bro. The LCD itself cant refresh. The transistors are either on or off. But Windows, and the video card have to operate at a refresh rate. So the supported refresh rates the monitor manual says it supports, must be for the amount of power applied by the video card. In other words, the LCD cant handle any more than what the video card will pump out at 75 hertz, but the LCD doesnt actually refresh in the traditional CRT fashion, the way the elctron gun speed is varied. LCD's are digital, so they are either on or off, the equivalent of ones and zeroes, where analog is totally variable.

What I found personally with the LCD's, is when it comes to full motion video, or a very video ctive game such as GR, Quake, UT, etc.etc, is that the LCD's arent real good at keeping up, as a CRT at 85 or 90 hertz is. That's what messes with my eyes. I only have trouble with my eyes with LCD's when using real active apps like games and movies. Office apps, and photo or image editing doesnt give me the problem.

All is not lost! I've still got my CRT and, better still, the GF4400 supports 2 monitor connection, if I get really desperate.

I read the stuff on CRT Vs LCD in About.com. See what yer saying! But as the guy points out, there are pros and cons and, while I can see the difference it, its not significant enough to dissapoint. GR still looks good, WHEN ITS RUNNING PROPERLY!!!!! On that point, depending on which mission I select it has initially displayed more or less correctly for a second or two and then corrupts. The intro on Desert Seige also show less corruption than the menus and in-game images?

Roll on LEP screens!

M.

Phantom...aaaah! hi buddy....aaaaah. Sorry, I didn't see yer message, eyesights going.....aaaah.

GR runs beautifully on ma CRT but don't tease me pal.....aaaaah not just after spending £295 on a LCD. cough, choke...aaaaah.

M.

Hi Phan.....choke. Your words are music to my ears pal but If I don't get a fix soon..(gasps for breath) I't'll be too late for me cos I'm getting to love ma LCD. She does everthything else I ask!!!!! Well almost, so I aint gonna abandon her now for an old fashioned fluesey who's got big and ugly in her old age, man.

Yer Know Phantom, I'm beginning to feel better. I just got a feeling that something good is going to happen and ma LCD troubles are gonna leave me.

You listening to me boy? I mean it's gonna get better!!! It's gotta!

M.