pic. of a 12ft. gator i killed!

cajun47

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its very bloody. i shot the gator with my ruger .45

i have gator tags from the state of louisiana. its legal.

if you are an animal lover and or do not like to see dead animals please go away....now.

http://www1.charper.net/~tyler/files/07010...03/scan0032.jpg

it took forever to get this beast in the boat!

This is a good thread this. A "contraversial" post ,lots of different opinions.

The images were interesting in thier own way. However the only one i would show the kids is the one Rook posted.

The reason being, if they saw Cajuns pic, they might get complacent in a croc/gator enviroment when they are dizzy from the sugar in soft drinks, and start doing stupid things like "i dare you to go in the water"

Whereas with Rooks pic, the grim reality strikes home.

With regard to the "post" well all i can say is , "man they'll make a fine pair of boots"

Just out of curiostity, Cajun, do you or anyone else eat or have eaten gator or croc, and if so does it taste like chicken ? .

I may have kind of a different view here on this, but he did warn everyone what was coming. We really didnt have to look if we werent interested.

Its kinda like the thing where everyone slows down to see a really bad accident, even though they dont want to see what they know is therre?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Though I am an animal lover, I see nothing wrong with hunting, whether it be foul, reptile or 4 legged mammal. I have eaten venison, rabbit, gator, I fish and eat what I catch. I have no qualms with someone hunting for population control of game. It is the poachers I have a problem with.

Those pics are tame compared to what is shown on the evening news sometimes. Granted, some of you may be a bit squeamish about it, but there isn't much difference than watching a slasher movie. Blood is blood. Cajun's pic is just real is all.

Now like I said, I am an animal lover, but human life comes before that of any animal wheter it be gator or dog (how many vicious dog attacks do you hear about and you can't legally hunt dogs to protect people like you can gators.) I have a bigger issue with people letting cats and dogs run loose through their neighborhoods than people who hunt to control game populations.

And no gator does not taste like chicken.

My friend's brother's friend (lol) had his leg mauled by a dog. It had to be amputated and now he has a fake one. Rottwieler was the dog I think, that or a German Shepheard. Scary stuff...

Actually, where I live... If there is a stray dog around here, me and my neighbors dispatch them and they're never to be seen again. People just like to dump animals off and if you don't do something about them, they tear up your garbage and whatever objects you have laying around outside. Animal control doesn't go outside city limits, so we have to take care of it ourselves.

I have a neighbor who moved in about a year ago (they rent from someone else) and they have pit bulls (5). Needless to say, I, nor anyone else around here likes them due to their nature and the fact that we have a church across the street where kids play. One day, two got loose and caused about $500 (vet bill) worth of damage to my dog (Lab) that was chained up and had no where to go, as well as causing damage to the house. Although they paid for the vet bill, next time they get loose, they'll mysteriously dissappear.

In your case Rook, I would be right there to help. As I don't have a car and have to wak to where I want to get to, I have had strange dogs follow me and just last weekend, a boxer charged me, though stopped short of the street. The woman was apparently letting her dogs out to put on the chains that they are normally kept on, but does not use a leash. I have seriously condisered carrying my Buck 110 again for protection from said dogs. Leash laws are there for a reason.

There is a very good reason to go out in the less populated areas and hunt gators: surplus. If you let the populations get out of hand, even in out of the way areas, they spread to the ones that are more inhabited in search of food. Anyway, this is why they have a bag limits on all types of game; to make sure you don't kill out the species. Every year before a season starts, Fish and Wildlife employees monitor population and make decisions on bag limits or even to hold a season altogether, based on the population. If there is an over abundance of them, a larger bag limit is issued.

Haven't you people ever taken a conservation class? If they weren't hunted they would keep spreading till they ran out of habitat or food and killed themselves off that way. Same thing goes for any hunted animal. I'm an animal lover too, but that doesn't mean I don't hunt. Besides, you can not only use or sell a gator's skin, but you can eat their meat if you want to. Also, anyone fretting over that much blood needs to get out more. I've seen worse come from hamburger meat at the local supermarket... you do know those are cows right? I'm beginning to think society is getting too impersonal with things that happen naturally and get offended by every little thing. If people in urban areas had to butcher their own cow for meat, I bet most would turn vegetarian.

As for what Para was saying about was crocs do to people, here's somthing I got in an email refering to a missing golfer: *WARNING GRAPHIC* http://10mm.virtualave.net/crocmeal.jpg

Yes, that was the very photo to which I was referring. It's nastier than I remember it.

My friend's brother's friend (lol) had his leg mauled by a dog. It had to be amputated and now he has a fake one. Rottwieler was the dog I think, that or a German Shepheard. Scary stuff...

I nearly got mauled by a German Shepherd once. Last July 4th. He was within six feet of my legs when I shot him 4 times.

hmmmmm....

WARNING: SOMETHINGS WILL BE SAID THAT WILL OFFEND YOU (or possibly not)

Not hunting alligators (or crocs, i forget whicj is the endangered one) is good.

Hunting the (overpopulated one) is good, but you say these gators are spilling into OUR territory, i dinna know of your beliefs (genesis vs. evolution) but they've been around longer since any of our relatives (neanderthals not Uncle Pete) , let alone us ourselves, excuse my ignorance, but aren't we moving into their territory? Shouldn't we be shootin' off them over populated humans, keep, destroying prime habitat to put up golf courses....

When do people get mauled by crocs? Well, for the most part, they enter THE CROC'S TERRITORY, and don't understand the risks. It's uasualy, "well, Billy Joe and Pete got drunk and tried jumpin' on a gator like that TV guy from Austria (yeah i know it's Australia), an thet demm gator demm near killed im. lets go keel off them gator s an make shur it never appens agin!"

For example (okay this is a snake bite story but, it has some similarities) Two guys got drunk, and, on the way home from the bar stumbled upon a rattler. Well they decided to play catch with the rattler. You can guess the end of this story, oone got bitten and was rushed to hospital, but survived.

Just the fact that they're spilling onto our territory, as mentioned before, is rediculous. An sure theres a healthy population of gators i believe (healthy not overpopulated) it just don't make sense to kill them fer yer resons is kinda stupid, ah but what of the gators mauling children??? What were children doing playing unsupervised in a gaotr populated swamp??? you gotta call the parenting skills into question...

Oh and on my way out, i better mention that, crocs are as docile as a robin.

Sorry bout the rant, had to get it off my chest, i know it'll make no diff. to whether you continue your "hobby" or not, i ish good luck to ya in the future, maybe you'll be mauled yerself hopefully not. Maybe in years to come you'll hang up yer gun and take tourists and herpetologists (biologists/ zoologists who study reptiles and amphibs, my university major if all works out) on tours around the swamp checking out the saurian population of yer backyard, oh an' promise me this: Don't Kill Snapping Turtles, They are ENDANGERED.

Edited by insaneflyingmonkey

Oh and on my way out, i better mention that, crocs are as docile as a robin.

I find this statement particularly odd:

how can you call a 200-300 pounds beast with more teeth than a chain saw and a mouth big as my car's trunk ... "docile"? those teeth were not given to the croc by mother nature so that the croc could show them around on the Discovery Channel. Those teeth are there to kill and maul.

Endangered species? yes. Should they get killed? only if necessary ... only in a self defense situation. Docile? heh... I think not.

If I am armed and one of them looks at me funny, I'll get me a good pair of croc skin boots. :devil:

If I am armed and one of them looks at me funny, I'll get me a good pair of croc skin boots. :devil:

100% I'd shoot just about anything to protect myself or others. I don't care if it's the last of the breed on earth; if it endangers my life or another's it's going down. Plain and simple.

Although the top we're on is not self defense, but hunting I think we're all entitled to our opinion (otherwise, we're in one big peeing contest). We need to just respect eachother's views and move on, or discuss them; no need to rant/rave/argue.

Crocs are less aggressive than gators...but not docile. I still wouldnt mess with either of them...even to help with population control. I'll stick to fishing.

The question of the ownership of territory is futile if you beleive in survival of the fittest. If my weaponry is more fit than the gator's teeth, it will lose. Humans are on top of the food chain, and sometimes a little lower as one pic in this thread has witnessed to us. It matters not which came first, the human or the gator. Sometimes the gator will win, sometimes the human. I personally, would route for the human.

My grandfather used to eat snapping turtles. I remember this one time he had a large one (about a foot or more in diameter) and after cutting it open, we found a bunch of eggs. Well, being curious like we are, we planeted the eggs in a large pot outside and left it to see what would happen. Sure enough, sometime later, there were about 20-30 snapping turtles emerging. After that we got some turtle food and kept them in an aquarium till they were a bit older and then released them at our pond. We didn't know they were endangered back then, but a lot of the old timers around here do still eat them. You'll even catch them on fishing lines when going to small lakes or ponds. Makes me wonder about that 'endangered' bit.

Crocs are just likes snakes; they're fine and dandy keeping to themselves till someone accidently stumbles upon one at close range, then it's too late.

For those who are mistaken, please note that crocodiles are not less aggressive than alligators. Have you ever seen anyone wrestle a crocodile? I haven't, but I've seen plenty of guys wrestle alligators. Note also that no particular species of alligator is notoriously nasty, while both the nile and salt water crocodiles are infamous for being so vicious.

Alligators are not known to actively stalk human beings, though they will attack people if threatened, or if very hungry. Crocodiles, on the other hand, have been known to actively and purposefully prey on human beings.

gator hunting is not really a hobbie for me. i make about $50,000 in the month of sept. and belive me it does not hurt the population of gators.

the state of louisiana issues a large number of gator tags to me. the population of gators are regulated very closely. its a business. i make money, the state makes money, and the land owners make money.

gator hunting is not really a hobbie for me. i make about $50,000 in the month of sept. and belive me it does not hurt the population of gators.

the state of louisiana issues a large number of gator tags to me. the population of gators are regulated very closely. its a business. i make money, the state makes money, and the land owners make money.

Dude! You're not just rolling in gator guts!

$$$$$$$$$$

Hope you have an extra room in September, I'm coming to get me some gators! $50K! Pardon my language but holy ######!

That what my parents make a YEAR basically. Together!

Greetings!

Having lived in Florida a couple of times and being a frequent visitor, I know what it's like to live with aggressive gators and even the rare american crocodile on the gulf coast.

Three summers ago there was at least seven alligator attacks within 50 miles of Tampa during the worst drought in Florida's history.

I also know that Florida is overrun with them---you need to check the swimming pool BEFORE you jump in. A gator even walked into a doctor's waiting room in Cape Coral!

I also enjoy the hide when used for wallets and shoes.

Especially ladies shoes, you see there was this girl in a sundress wearing alligator flats and---well nevermind.

If you happen to sell those skins to a leather crafter, see if you can get me a dealie on some shoes.

Greetings!

Having lived in Florida a couple of times and being a frequent visitor, I know what it's like to live with aggressive gators and even the rare american crocodile on the gulf coast.

Three summers ago there was at least seven alligator attacks within 50 miles of Tampa during the worst drought in Florida's history.

I also know that Florida is overrun with them---you need to check the swimming pool BEFORE you jump in. A gator even walked into a doctor's waiting room in Cape Coral!

I also enjoy the hide when used for wallets and shoes.

Especially ladies shoes, you see there was this girl in a sundress wearing alligator flats and---well nevermind.

If you happen to sell those skins to a leather crafter, see if you can get me a dealie on some shoes.

I remember that drought. There were huge fires everywhere, and, in east Orlando where I lived, it was very surreal. Sometimes it was dark outside for days, because there was so much smoke in the sky. The recent drought we've just come out of was actually worse, but we learned alot from that fiery summer, and we didn't have too much trouble with fires.

Ahh, that explains it - there's money involved! In that case don't try to justify it with "doing my bit for nature", you're doing it for money. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... but you could have at least been sincere about it from the start. <_<

I don't see him saying anywhere that he justified it by nature. I think that was me and some others. You really need to quit criticizing people so harshly just because they do things you don't like.