On The Realism Of GR Weapons

I've seen a lot of comments on this site and others about realistic weps and such. Well while I like the idea of the wep simulating the real weapon ballistics and such...

This is a game, a game world where we've been given the keys to the Kingdom(Thanks RSE).

Last night I played and got tired as hell after carrying a Barrett and a SAW together(HX4), so I switched out and carried a small P90/AGL with 250 GL rounds(Hitman's..), so I switched out and carried an MM1 with 96 rounds(SPV4), but that wore me further, so I went back and carried a minigun with over 3000 rounds, just about passed out ,so I quit playing and got my Navy Seals work out manual out and exercised so I could carry all that crap!

Point here is THIS IS A GAME WORLD!

I'm glad that people who insist on limiting this creation were not around to advise The Creator of the Universe while that project was being considered!! :ph34r:

mig

True, it is a game. But it is a TAC Sim. Realistic loadouts and wepons and ballistics are what make it great. SIMULATING a real world environmet. If I didnt want to do that, and just wanted cool things to shoot, I could play UT instead.

The challenge, at least for me, and what makes it fun, is being on equal footing, and simulatint real world situations.

Greetings!

The problem that so many fans, clans and others have is that older gun mods were so unrealistic and took away the skill factor in online competitions.

Many newer mods are aware of this and have kept the ranges and accuracy and zoom comparable to the original GR.

But not all in the original GR weps is true to life. One thing that bothers me most is the original pistols---they are horribly unrealistic and almost useless!

The SMG's are not much better, is there anything worse than a SA25? The MP5 in real life is supposed to be accurate at 100 yards and its 9mm should have some stopping power, but in the original it's a peashooter.

GR is a combat sim and should have as realistic an experience as possible. I don't think a sniper rifle should miss 3 shots in a row at 8 feet just because the reticle isn't closed, at that range you point and shoot and blow them away. :ph34r:

WOW Connie, I did not see your post prior to writing this, so this part is edited. I agree, some of the org stuff was off so let's go for refinement in those areas. The AI can only hope to get close, I don't think if you were my team mate in an urban conflict and I had a corner covered you would run out there and get in front of me!

I too enjoy the challenge of realism, and that is why I play GR, but if we get as real as can be, then we need to concentrate on maps and missions or adding new vehicles. New skins are fun to see, but adding new real world chrs like DTD is working on is what we need, I will work on these models myself but I can't get myself to feel good about using cracked software, so I have to wait. There are a few weps still out there to be modelled. Anyway, I tend to use the wild side stuff when testing my missions so I can blow through. Still, I look forward to seeing mods like Starship Troopers which has nothing to do with real world tac simms, ya gonna kill a bug with a SD 9mm? Just let it become the world it can be and use what ya like, but let's encourage all the modders and people who want to mod to go for their ideas. We may even end up with a whole new generation of simms that surpass GR. In the mean time people will learn the ins and outs of it all. AND I WON'T HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY NEW GAMES, THEY'LL BE RIGHT HERE.

mig

Edited by migryder

migryder,

Ridiculous 'arcade' type first person shooter games are a dime a dozen, (as are the type of people who support them), and to me, they reflect little to zero value to the intelligent side of the GR community.

Ghost Recon, too, can be made into such a ridiculous 'arcade' game style that you say you enjoy. :wacko: ....

But the most unique thing about GR, is its ability to also become the most truely 'realistic' squad based combat simulator ever made (so far). Most people here seem to share that particular vision for this game, and it's that potential that most of us try to see developed.

Edited by BaMBaM

Everyone have different views. That is way I think in GR2 there should be a way to turn realism up or down. An example would be in Combat Flight Simulator 2(that was the last FS game I played), you can set levels of realism(G force blackouts, fuel consumption, staling, etc). That way almost everyone could be happy. I like a realistic games, but not when it takes 25 minutes for the rets on my sniper rifle to close. There is realisic and then there is over the top.