vidcard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works just fine, thanks. Linux is free for those who do and dont value time. I do value mine. I am a student. I need a system that works all of the time. When I open my notebook in class, I dont want to find errors and have to reboot while the prof is lecturing. I dont want to open my notebook to find a corrupted screen. I dont want a crash while the prof is lecturing. So, yeah, I guess time is pretty imporant to me, and the Winblows ME virus doesnt help. I dont know everything about computers, but I'm not a ######.
Well XP has never crashed on me, never had a corrupted screen and never shown me errors that I wasn't responisble for. There are millions of viruses and every os has them. ME sucks its the most pathetic piece of crap every to be considered an OS. I like Amiga better than ME for crying out loud. Basically you'll spend more time getting things to work right and crap in Linux then you ever would in Windows. Thats fact but its just personal preference. And XP doesn't make mistakes its the user who does. So unless YOU screw up your Winblows setup then it will run fast as hell and like a rock. Mine has and its because I don't do stupid things to it. Windows OS's stopped being crappy and having blue screens and random crashes in the NT era. It doesn't happen anymore really. Hep, you would know this if you used XP or 2000.

They have made certain distros extremely end user friendly, making them very easy to use, as Heph is finding out. SuSE in particualr is great for the end user and simple to use, or just as hardcore as you want to be.
Mandrake is also a very u-f distro.

If linux was as easy to get going as XP say is and was just as compatible then Microsoft would go bankrupt. Hep, if you actually get into linux a little deeper than Open Office you'll find out it's the most stuborn OS* you've ever used.

*-meaning distros too whatever :wacko:

I vote Amiga as geekiest OS :D

Edited by Stinger

DR is right. We let this thread get way off topic. We can go back to the Linux thread to continue this. Its gone way past video cards and memory. And its my fault as much as anyone's. I like talking about Linux.

We arent saying anything that we havent said before, in another thread, and it is moot since he has made a Linux decision already.

I think we have all agreed to disagree on this topic.

We need to ge back on topic here, or the thread will be locked.

I already have a thread about linux and windows here. So go there if you want to argue.

This thread is for video cards pertaining to my situation. If anybody else wants to post their situation, findings, or anything to do with video cards...please do so, as it will probably help many other people as a future reference.

In an extended fashion, it does act as a reference for people wanting to buy a video card. It gives them opinions and facts on choosing one, as well as consideration for future plans toward what OS they might be going to, if they're moving at all.

Now, just pertaining to your situation would make this thread very narrow and we could have answered all your questions in 3 replies (mainly compiled by Phantom (nvida/linux), me (ati/win), and stinger (he does so much stuff I can't keep up)), but that wouldn't have been as useful as what the thread has grown into.

Besides, this is debating, not arguing. The difference comes in when you stop making logical reasons for your choice/preference and just start yelling at each other. :)

---

Anyway, if you have to have Nvidia and you're on a budget, forget the FX series all together, they're not that grand till you hit the 5800/5900. Go ahead and select a ti series based on your price range and the performance you want. As I said earlier, my pc runs fine on 256mb and runs games great with my card. The ram shouldn't be limiting you unless you're running a game and 5 or 6 other different apps (doesn't include bg programs) at the same time.

Thanks Rook. I'm going to go on and purchase a Ti card after I buy my gf her bday present-- make sure I still have some cash. :blink:

Sorry if 'argue' was the wrong word. At school, we present arguments with logical reasoning. For some reason, I thought the academic world could spill into the 'real world', as many people out of school call it. :P:lol:

There have been some really good points in this thread. I just dont want the focus to shift too much. As long as we're talkin about video in some way or fashion, it will definitely be good reference material for all of us.

And thanks to everybody for general info on the FX series.

I say go Ti4**<-----Insert best model you can afford here. If you can find $139 u can get a Radeon 9500 BBA at newegg.com which takes on most if not all of the Ti series of cards...but nm since you want nVidia. As a word of caution though, your system is getting outdated quite a bit which I'm sure you already know and just adding a new graphics card won't last you long. DoomIII and HL2 would eat up your system Ti4*** or not. You may want to consider just pocketing the cash and hold back until you can do a whole system overhaul.

Edited by Stinger

Right. Thats why I'm just going to buy a video card and nothing else. I need a new card now...I've been waiting for two years. When I build my new system, which will be about a year from now, I could still use the card. Having a mediocre card obviously doesnt bother me too much, so that would allow me to buy better mb, cpu, ram, for the new system and still have a decent card if I absolutely couldnt afford anything else...I think its a smart idea.

Even after I build the new system in about a year, I will still keep this pc. And assuming I have the cash, I could upgrade it and use as a back up/home usage pc...and I'd still have the Ti4*** to pop back in.

And who knows, maybe by then, Ati will have wonderful 3d driver support for Linux, and my new, dual boot system with Linux and Windows XP, or whatever, will be very happy with a screamin Ati card, and so will I.

Also, it doesnt bother me too much that I cant run the latest and greatest games. I find that if I stay a bit behind everyone else, I pay less than the guy who has to have the best right now...I'm very patient, and tight with my money. Its ok with me and my wallet. DoomIII and HL2 dont appeal to me much...but GR2...well, that will be another story.

Phantom, I was over at Ati.com and decided to check out their linux driver's readme file. Upon this, I found they do support 3d acceleration via OpenGL. What's this about you saying they only support 2d under linux?

DirectX is an MS product and thus not made for linux, but still, plenty of newer games do use OpenGL, IL2 Sturmovik comes to mind. But saying they don't support anything but 2d in linux is very misleading.

When I loaded the ATI driver from ATI into Linux, It said NO 3D SUPPORT.

I dont make misleading posts. And unless it runs what I want it to run, then it isnt compatible.

Tell ATI its a misleading post. It was their driver's error message.

And since I switched back to Nvidia 2 weeks ago, it's a moot point.

Basically, what I think about the whole nvidia/ATi compatibility issue is that its really unfortunate. I think we all agree that ATi makes great cards. If I knew an ATi would work for all of my future plans, I would go with one right now. Oh well.

I did find a Ti4600 on ebay for around $130, I believe it was...not so sure I want a used card, though.

And another thing. I have been re-thinking some of my plans for my pc's, and I just might keep windows on my desktop while I learn linux on my notebook. If I do that, perhaps I could spend less money on an ATi card, and save that cash towards a better card for my future system. Let me know what you guys think about that...

Edited by hephaestus

Just a quick note for RooK and phantom...

The Linux/ATI faq

You're probably both correct. The FAQ indicates that certain ATI cards and certain distros have official 3d support, but not all. Scroll to the very bottom of the FAQ for the details.

Now stop hijacking heph's thread! <_<:P

@ RooK

I DL'd the Right driver. I also said in my last post. D3D is what I need. I then quoted the error message. The driver came right form ATI. We are never going to see eye to eye on this, so its moot.

I also stated it no longer matters because I switched.

@Dannik

Thanks for the post bro. And you're right about the hijacking.

This is the second and final warning, or it will be locked. All of us here have been to and read and posts in that thread already. We dont need to hijack this one from Heph.

@ Heph.

It depends on how much you find you like Linux, or if not at all. If you like it, and I think you will, you may want to put it on your desktop machine. My recommendation would be to go with the Nvidia card, just because that way, you wont go wrong, either way.

Check Best buy and some other stores for a better price. You may notget the best price from EBay if your bidding against a foreign bidder.

There is another thread in Computer discussions that is totally devoted to you trying to convince me to go ATI.

That being said, there is also a thread in this forum that discusses a Linux program that is a fully compatible directx emulator for gaming in Linux.

This is the second and final warning, or it will be locked. All of us here have been to and read and posts in that thread already. We dont need to hijack this one from Heph.
A little bit hypocritical eh?

Anyways, heph, it sounds like you haven't gotten too in depth into linux yet. I reccommend staying in it for a weel or two and NOT TOUCHING windows at all. If you are fine and everything is to your liking then make the switch...but it would be a shame to waste money if you decide to go a different route then what you're thinking presently.

A little bit hypocritical eh?

I dont think so. He did say we.

Lets stick to being helpful and refrain from posting accusations, shall we? The topic is the reasonable application of a video card pertaining to a certain system within an approximate budget of $70-100.

I want to upgrade from a gf2mx400 to a fx5200 128. I have xp1600 and 256ddr. Would the 5200 be a good bang-for-buck in my situation? And dont tell me to get ATI, I dont want one.

I think if you really want to come out ahead without having to look over your shoulder about video cards. Go with nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256MB. You will spend a little more but only have to upgrade 3-5 years if you like. The price is from 135.00 to 250.00 with more bang than Ti4 cards. I do believe if you considerd 5200fx than go for bang for buck. I think its a win situation. IMHO then you can go far other upgrades knowing your card will produce even better.

start here http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearc...10&BasicSearch=

or here http://www.pricewatch.com

:rocky: