Just Installed "Opera" browser

Huh? It aint displaying my webpages properly.

In Opera, my webpage comes up with a white border around the page thingy, the shoutbox don't display proper and my background changer thingy is shafted. In WIndows IE, my webpage is perfect! What's up with that?

- .:Nightmare:.,Jul 4 2003, 08:24 ] Hey this is cool. How do I get rid the info bar thingy at the side? U know, the bit with the tabs (info, transfers, etc)?

The "star" in the menu bar turns the side info panel on and off.

I'm not sure what you mean by the white border and messed up shoutbox, so as MVD posted, a screenshot may be in order.

Basically all browsers "show" the web page differently. They look at the code and choose how to show it. Some browsers don't support some features (e.g. Netscape 4 and background colours iirc are a bit of a problem) but even the 2 latest version of ie and netscape don't show web pages exactly the same.

Opera is the same, usually when designing a site this isn't a high priority to get the web site to work in Opera (any version), as it is a tiny amount of users who use such a thing, and usually techy people any way. It's not that it won't show them properly, its just how Opera chooses to show it. (Yes, usually not how you want it).

Trying to get a web site to look the same in all browsers is impossible, you just have to try and get them to work in each browser.

Very correct, magnumkp. The funny thing is, according to The World Wide Web Consortium, html/xml/xhtml/css/etc. is standardized. The biggest culprit in causing problems is Microsoft, as they don't really pay much attention to standards, AND they dominate the browser market.

In essence, the reason people have problems with "alternate" web browsers is because those browsers tend to render the websites you visit correctly, but since most sites are written with IE in mind, the sites are coded incorrectly to make up for IE's flaws and quirks.

As a quick benchmark check out the google zeitgeist (great facts and figures, and it has graphs, I love graphs :D ).http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html Yes IE dominates, there was a time when netscape was going to die on its bumbling ######. (netscape 6 i think). I didn't know that it was ie making the mess ups though, but it shouldn't surprise me. Always thought that netscape was the web designers enemy. Most of the sites I have worked on (I used to work with a web site company. hence I can bore anyone for hours on end about search engines, flash, etc etc.) are designed for IE primarily and checking functionality in other browsers, but not worry too much about design.

If everyone was using IE 5/6 web designers would make better web sites, rather than the slightly entertaining ones we have now. Oh and don't talk to me about Flash, that doesn't work very well in search engines, and javascript is not supported by about 5-10% of all web users.

A slight aside, but I hardly ever visit other web sites. I look at about 4 forums and 3 websites and occasionally the news and thats it. I don't "surf" unless looking for a quick solutions. If I am buying online I know where I want to get it from and don't look for the best price. Perhaps because I sit infront of a pc 8 hours a day? Familiarity breeds contempt.

Well, I got Opera to run, but Firebird wont. Causing unknown errors and refuses to run in XP for me.

Downloaded it twice thinking it might be a corrupt DL. No go. But, I am very nearly ready to dump Winblows anyway, since I dont really have to have it anymore to run games. Just putting the finishing touches on SuSE, and bye bye MS Winblows ! !

Edited by phantom110565

Wow how freaky, I just installed Opera last night too!

Oh - and it's not really

how Opera chooses to show it.
, Opera displays pages in compliance with the standards Dannik referenced.

It's how the webpage has been coded that determines how it appearing your browser. Opera just follows the standards pretty closely' so if a webpage is poorly coded don't expect Opera to try and figure out how to display the page, IE on the other hand is more what they call "tolerant".

I notice Opera displays my news page a little skewif for example, basically because my table layout is alot uhm.... "not recommended" :rolleyes:

I never gave Opera a chance before because it did not support some pretty basic things, like DHTML, but it does now.

The reason I installed it is because IE is taking an age to load these days and installing Opera is probably easier than figuring out the slow load lol. Mind you, learning all of Operas time saving and neat features will take some time.

Maybe you Opera Vets can post some of your most used Opera features :D

Yes, but Opera chooses to show the web pages according to the standards unlike IE which is like a free rein donkey skipping gaily through fields of corn on his way to the market, and as you said is more tolerant, maybe due to a carrot, a nice straw hat. Who knows.

Actually, I have had less problems with Opera than with IE, and its faster.

Mozilla I couldnt get to work. Winblows keeps returning fatal errors for it and shutting it down.

Ill save Mozilla for Linux.

Opera is great though, and I can get into all sites with it, even FilePlanet, unlike with IE. Damn MicroS@$t ! !

They just had to go and violate their license agreement with Sun for Java, and FUBAR IE more than it was already.

Edited by phantom110565

I put them like this

1.Mozilla Firebird .6

2.Opera

3.Encyclopedias

4.IE6

@Phantom- Mozilla isn't all that great, pickup Mozilla Firebird .6. No installing at all, just unzip it to a folder and click the executable. Smallest browser of the 4 and it takes up almost no resources.

Yeah. Just tried to run it again with no luck.

I doubt Ill be doing another XP FFR on my machine, as Im switching from Winblows to Linux. Just waitng on a little extra cash to get that directx fully compatible version of WiNE. I can run GR in Linux now, but there are a couple games I havent tried yet, so Im still doing a little more testing before moving over. I figure Winblows to be gone by the end of the month.