Ghost Recon.net Forums

Both Athlons and Pentiums provide good speed if you have the money. But, generally, Pentiums are more reliable and cooler, and supposedly cost more $$. Athlons are cheaper with just as much speed, but are notorious for running a bit hot, so make sure you have a cool box.

But, if you're going for the top dawgs, the Pentium 4 3.0ghz is actually cheaper than the Athlon 3200, and I would almost bet that the Athlon isnt providing the bang-for-buck that it once was known for. At least, thats what I hear lately. Could be wrong...

For the record, I have an Athlon XP 1600. Works great.

Edited by hephaestus

The high ones (2800XP and up) are about equal in price with P4s, but anywhere below that you'll save from $40 or more. A 2500XP with barton core cost $90, 2.5ghz P4 cost $230.

Heat is a none issue, as long as you have at least 2 case fans, it will stay under 50c. Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere, should the heatsink or fan somehow fail, mbs now (for past couple years atleast) include saftey features in bios to shutdown the system themselves. I still state that Pentiums being more reliable is a myth. My first PC was an Intel based 486, I've owned 4 since then that were Pentiums and I've used more beyond mine that were owned by other people, and this Athlon I have now has been better than any of those and cost heaps less.

Its really a matter of personal preference. The best advice I can give you is this. Do some research, and check into both products. Weigh the pros and cons against what you need the PC for and what you want it to do.

This argument is just like Ford versus Chevy. Not everyone is going to agree.

I stated my opinions and recommendations here, as did others.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...t=0entry66137

Its fine to get recommendations from people. But I suggest you look into the facts for both products yourself, at their websites, and some other sites that rate hardware. Sit down and figure out what you need your machine to do. Figure out if it is going to be a strictly gaming rig, how often its going to remain powered up while unattended, are you going to be relying on it for mission critical work, such as school or business, or other important projects. Do you need a quiet machine? If you do, the AMD will be louder because it requires more cooling.

As you can see by the referenced post, me and RooK will never see eye to eye on this, and thats fine. What Im trying to say is its going to be hard for ya to get an objective opinion. There are too many variables, and each processor is better at something than the other one is. So look at peoples experiences and opinions on both products, then decide what will fit your machine.

And remember this. You dont need to buy the hottest, most expensive from either manufacturer that's out. Right now, the software thats out wont utilize all the power the most current procs have for about 1 1/2 - 2 years. Software is still about that far behind.

Right now, IMHO, anything over 2.0ghz is idle, and I wouldnt spend the extra cash. The faster it is , the hotter it is, and the more room for trouble. You can get the 2ghz range in both products very reasonable, and you'll have all you need. More important than proc is RAM and Video. Spend the extra money on 512MB of fast RAM, depends on which board you get, what speed it will be, and get a good Video Card.

Edited by phantom110565

I agree with Phantom about avoiding the upper range of processors by both companies - they aren't worth it. I am running an XP 1800 right now (you can find them for under $ 50). I leave it on all the time, I play games (GR, Splinter Cell, C&C Generals mostly), do video editing, run 3dsm, photoshop 6, etc - all with no problem. I run MS office apps, frequently two at a time (Word & Excel). I never have overheating issues. The computer is as quiet as most others I have been around, the exception being computers that have been modified or designed specifically for noise reduction.

There are a lot of comparisons that have been ran that will show you that x is faster than y in business apps and vice versa in games, but that is measured in points graded by a piece of software. In real life, odds are you won't be able to discern any reasonable difference between an Intel or AMD of the same clock speed. To me, it is simply a matter of $ if we are talking about a home computer, and Athlon takes the cake there. Like Phantom said, there are other components that factor heavily into your systems performance. I say get the Athlon and spend the money you save on upgrading the video card and amount of RAM you get. ;)

RS

RS

Opinions on which CPU to get are subjective. I have had both Intel (Celeron) and AMD (Duron and AthlonXP) and the only problem I have had is that my digital cam wouldn't work on the Duron. I still have the Celly for that. I have enough cooling in my case so my Athlon runs at 40-42C at idle.

If you want more bang for the buck, go with a processor that is about 6 months old or so, but get a newer mobo which will allow for CPU upgrade in the future (if going with AMD, as in an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and a 2100XP or 2400XP). If Intel, make sure you get a compatible mobo for it. The only downside of Intel (don't say it Phantom) is that when Intel comes out with a new CPU, they change the socket design and an older CPU will not work in a new mobo.

Research what you want then ask opinions here.

@WK

ROFLMFAO.

Your right. They did do that the last time out. Hopefully they will knock it off though and stick to a die. I never said Intel was perfect, just my preference for compatability and reliability, your webcam being yet another prime example for my view of things.

Of course, it is bound to happen with AMD also, as technology changes.

Edit* Digital cam, not webcam.

Edited by phantom110565

Personally I'd go with AMD, i've got two computers (both self built) one has a XP1900 and the other a 2100. neither have causede any conflicts or probs and my 2100 is running at 32C idle

I didn't say webcam, that works real good with my Athlon and if I recall it worked good with the Duron too. It was my Polaroid digital camera. No idea why it wouldn't work, but as long as I have the Celly, I know I have a place to get the pics to. One reason why I need my network running. :(

From what I am reading elsewhere, the 3200XP may be the last SocketA CPU from AMD. Time will tell though. IMO staying with the same socket makes sense as less tooling for all involved and in turn that keeps prices down on everything from the chips to the mobos.

The best way to put AMD vs. Intel is Ford vs. Chevy. Its largely personal preference. Intel cpu's until recently with the barton carried more cache (not including the server oriented chips). Intel used to overclock higher than AMD chips also. But the barton does a great job overclocking now too.

Ever since intel went to the 800MHz bus they have had the lead, at least for the extreme gamers. The C series of cpus (all @ the 800Mhz bus) are highly overclockable and have all beaten then amd couterparts in benches. The intel p4 2.4C can hit 3.4Ghz on air cooling alone. Processors only make up so much of a computer and you have to really factor in the rest of the computer and what it will be used for first.

If you get a 2600+ and a Radeon 9700 Pro you will be better off then with a 3.0C and a Radeon 9500 Pro. Since you saved the money by going with less cpu power you can get what actually matters more to the gamer, a high end graphics card.

Right now Intel is considered by most people, whether intel fanboys or amd, as the current leader. The only thing keeping amd's head in there is the uber cheap XP 2500+ and the barton core.

Soon to come is AMD's new Athlon64 on the Clawhammer core. It offers an onboard memory controller thus linking the cpu and te memory and providing enhanced speed. And 64 bit capabilities. But amd doesn't understand that 64 bit provides almost nothing overly beneficial to gaming consumer or home user.

Workstations and Servers, yes but not for the gamers and home users. The Opteron is already starting being made into a Workstation cpu in the 100 class. I still can't understand the need for 64 bit at least not yet. They will also have 1MB L2 cache which is very nice and they will be started off in speeds of 3100+ and 3400+.

Pentium's are in my expierince no more and no less reliable then an AMD cpu as long as installed correctly. I've used computers on the p4 series (northwood and williamete), celeron, athlon, duron, xeon, and mp series of athlon xp's. They are all plently stable and work fine when installed correctly.

And lastly, the only amd cpu's that run hot are the t-breds (and maybe the thorton core but we dont have temps on it yet). Bartons run just as cool as p4's do my friend next door has one and its just as cool as my p4.

Edit- The 3200 is supposed to be the last Skt A from amd. The Athlon64 is supposed to be on skt 754 iirc. And @ the 4000+ mark AMD is supposed to go to socket 940.

Edited by Stinger

Then again, the debate over the ATI cards he mentions, and the Nvidia series is also an opinion based question.

I personally find the Nvidia cards to be alot more compatible and user friendly than the ATI cards.

I find that the Nvidia drivers are easier to install and setup, and that overall, they perform better than the ATI cards. But then again, this also is a matter of personal preference, and you wont be able to get an objective opinion here either.

Again, just do your research, then compare it against the opinions you find here. And take your budget into consideration also.

ok im just goiong to get what i can get athlon or pentium p.s. the comp im get is the (i hope)Gamer performace pro

Specs: VIA Kt-400MHz DDR 8x GAP MB

512 MB PC3200 400Mhz DDR Memory

80GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro8x AGP 128MB DDR

w/ TV Out & DVI

16x DVD-ROM

3D Wave Sound & 450 watt subwoofer System

Viewsonic 19" E95 .22MMSVGA Monitor

56gay(dont need that)

Windows XP

is this a good rig?

Yes, it is. It will do everything you want, at least for 2 years. I would only question the Video, but that is my PERSONAL opinion, and not a right or wrong choice.

Its a good rig bro. You should be able to have alot of fun with it.

Video needs to be changed. If this is a custom get an ATI 9500 Pro, they perform better than the newer 9600 Pros easily. You may want to inquire about the brand of the ram and the wattage and brand of the power supply. All in all its a great computer man.

Since your getting 512MB clocked at 400MHZ than you may consider intel with bus 800MHZ along with 2.4 or above cpu to get the benefit of 800MHZ. Intel vs AMD really isn't a contest when you consider thats the only two choices. Video card will make a difference but right now most cards mention will do. I mean you really are talking frames per second which you won't notice between 65fps - 85fps. You can gain more speed with ATI 9800pro but for that price get ATI 9700 pro. You could get geforce fx5900 but the price get fx5600. I think these cards with memory adjustment http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/200307...0701/index.html

The computer you end up with really won't matter if its Intel or AMD but what hardware you put with it. :unsure:

Oh! Intel and AMD will make changes to motherboard slots. Intel made a socket 423/478 for P4 while AMD went with 463 for its Athlon XP. These are simply pin counts which will change with a significant change the lay out for the board. :blink: