Kazaa

ragodamdiculus

Basically, yes.

They're going after users with over 500 shared MP3 files also.

Not sure on the accuracy but there can be anywhere between a 750 and 1500 fine per MP3.

It started yesterday IIRC. So be on the look out...

They look to see if you're sharing, I'm sure they've got some kinds of permission from Kazaa to check how many you have then get your ISP.

My advice: Don't share the files. I never do, it slows me down when I download anyway.

updated my post. it seems they are only going after people in the states. (good old Canada)

how do you not share files? is thier an option in kazaa? i just moved all my songs out of the shared directory...

updated my post. it seems they are only going after people in the states. (good old Canada)

how do you not share files? is thier an option in kazaa? i just moved all my songs out of the shared directory...

what i did was either move all my songs to a non kazaa file, something other than a shared folder, or go to ur files in the kazaa browser and right click the songs and click stop sharing

I suppose there is bound to be some initial hysteria about this. The way I see it is that the 'casual' user cannot be in too much danger. There will be some organisations that are running large scale business from this, and these will be the key targets. I guess a handful of casual users may also be prosecuted - to set an example. But in truth, I think the music companies would find it just too hard to compile a case against a small scale user

After all - that user could run out and buy original copies of all downloaded music, and declare that the download was for backup only (maybe?)

:lol:

I see that the cat (Big Bro) has entered the kitchen (Kazaa) and all the mice (you know who you are) are going crazy.

In all seriousness (bah me spell good) I have no idea why anyone would be sharing that many files.

I admit to have K (who doesnt) but all in all I only have about 10 files in my share folder, everything else is in another folder.

I kinda agree with them cracking down on some stuff out there but other things that are on Kazaa (etc) you just cant find anymore.

@JTF2 same deal for up here in Canda bro'

You guys aren't all using the regular Kazaa are you ? Firts of all it is loaded with spyware and that is how they will bust you . You should use K-Lite , which you can get HERE which uses the same fasttrack network and is the same client with all the spyware and junk out of it . I'm not saying they can't track K-Lite users but without all the spyware and dataminers in it I would think it would be harder . The add-ons in Kazaa are really quite nasty with 'Big-bro' technology

I've got to admit it's somewhat amusing to see everyone who D/L's their music freaking out over this.

At 750 a pop, you bet it's worth freaking over... for those who share theirs. :D:lol:

I only use Kazaa to get music thats hard to find for my mom (music from the 50's-60's) Doo Wopp,Jazz,etc. The stores around here have nothing but compilation albums/CDs that have only one song shes looking for.

I have DL'ed a few songs here and there (about 25 total) even if I didnt have 56k, theres not much on Kazaa I care for.

Trust me, Im not one of the many people who have over 100+ songs.

Now my brothers on the other hand, they are nutso with the Kazaa.They always download every single thing they can get.Then go out and buy the CDs. :lol:

The benefiets of Kazaa are that you can get songs that are extremely hard to find, downside is that its stolen material.

I'd rather go out and buy it, except its to damn hard to find.

well, all 800!!! of my files have been moved to another file and i have changed my preferences so that i'm not sharing anyway. <_<

most of the songs i've d/l i've bought the album from. It's not about getting music I already know i want, it's about finding new music, to see if i like something. (yes, you've heard the rhetoric before)

Also, did you all hear how well that Mac music sharing thing is going (the one that lets you get songs for 99cents)? So far they've got like 3 million users and that's only people on Apples in the states! :o soon it's coming to PC! looks like a really great thing...

Edited by JTF-2

I heard about the JTF-2, it's going over REALLY well.

Expect it in the near future.

As for me and MP3s, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $15 - $20 for ONE song that I like. It's easier to download it. I honestly don't care; call me a theif, cheater or whatever. But I'm 15, no job (not old enough), and no way to get to a store with good CDs. The Music indutry saw MP3s years ago, why they're acting now is beyond me.

Also, did you all hear how well that Mac music sharing thing is going (the one that lets you get songs for 99cents)? So far they've got like 3 million users and that's only people on Apples in the states!  soon it's coming to PC! looks like a really great thing...

:o

Where do I sign up?

I have a question though, how do you know if the song is any good before you buy it? Do they let you hear a few seconds of a song?

I know on a few music albums, there are 20+ tracks.Thats $20 to download all the songs or go buy the CD for $12-$15.

It still seems like a good deal IMO, only problem- do they take money orders?

<_<

<_< ..... :mellow: .... <_< ......... :lol:

i dunno, try going to the mac site. that would be a good place to start. it's not for PC yet. the great thing about this is that instead of buying a CD with only 5 good songs on for $20 you can get the 5 songs for $5!

maybe you can listen to the songs on line...there are music formats that you can't record from (unless you hold a tape recorder up to your speakers. lol.)

It's kind of funny to see some people post "don't share!!", because that is exactly what these fat cats want.

They are not interested in making a few bucks from a court case against individual users, but by making high profile moves such as this, they are creating a "don't share" hysteria that will cause the P2P network to destroy itself. As more people follow the "dont share" philosophy, the harder and harder it will be to find that file, until the whole network is worthless.

If the music industry put the same effort into making back catalogues easily available at micro payment prices, they would not only be everybodys friend instead of target for abuse, they would be making a heck of alot more money than through these showcase courtcases.

My advice: Don't share the files. I never do, it slows me down when I download anyway.

Yeah, uh, that's pretty crappy advice if you ask me. I hear alot of people say they use Kazaa and such but don't share stuff. Well that just sucks cuz if everyone has that attitude then there's nothing to share and the programs are worthless. And i love the "holier than thou's" coming out of the woodwork saying they wouldn't be caught dead with such a program, or I have it but I only use it for yada, yada, yada. That's just pathetic, like having Kazaa is the equivalent of being a drug dealer or a computer terrorist. Oooh, im just shakin in my boots now, it's just all so scary! <_< I'm pouring gasoline on my HD as i type this!!!!

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter