The Sum of All Fears unused weapons

I have discovered that the Ghost Recon 1 engine game "The Sum of All Fears" has alot of unused firearms, such as a Spas12, G3A2, SA80LSW and a bunch of extra versions of the MP5K. 

I have decided to collect all these unused models and stick them in a folder so anyone interested can perhaps mod these into finished weapons for either GR or SOAF as they only have models in SOAF. (and my modding skills are limited as I'm new to it, so simple model swaps that don't have new stats/sounds are all I can do.)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1500yctF1G-h8wV-f5tN8ofp1aP3ZrorA?usp=share_link

EDIT: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sum-of-all-fears-unused-weapon-model-swaps/downloads

I have now released my Model Swap mod, keep in mind it's just a model swap, no new sounds or stats for any of the weapons.

9744447837290102784_20221107123844_2.png

9744447837290102784_20221107130058_1.png

9744447837290102784_20221107125300_1.png

9744447837290102784_20221107124844_1.png

Edited by Samz707
  • Like 1

I ment to make an edit but accidently quoted:

I have found out how to make a simple model swap mod for SAOF so I'll do that for these, (but am not experienced with all new weapons) which should be a good in-between until someone more experienced makes actual new weapons out of the models.

That said one of the unused weapons is a RPG7 (New model, not the one from Desert Siege.) so I can't use that since SOAF doesn't have any launchers. 

EDIT: Added 2 new weapons I found to the folder, there is actually a new improved 1911 model in SOAF's game files but it isn't used by default, instead the Ghost Recon 1 1911 model is used, as well as the AKSU (Some AK version without a stock.)

9744447837290102784_20221107150723_1.png

9744447837290102784_20221107124652_1.png

9744447837290102784_20221107152704_1.png

Edited by Samz707
  • Like 1

I downloaded the SOAF Demo. I didn't realize it is the exact file structure as GR.

I made a small one weapon, one kit mod for GR that explains in the readme.txt how all the files for a weapon work and interact to make them appear ingame. If you run the mod, the M16 Sniper Wood will appear in game in SP in the sniper class or in MP using the Sniper Wood kit restriction. Also in the sniper class. Best to activate only DS and IT with Sniper Wood at highest priority.

Sniper Wood on Google Drive

Edited by wombat50

1 hour ago, wombat50 said:

I downloaded the SOAF Demo. I didn't realize it is the exact file structure as GR.

I made a small one weapon, one kit mod for GR that explains in the readme.txt how all the files for a weapon work and interact to make them appear ingame. If you run the mod, the M16 Sniper Wood will appear in game in SP in the sniper class or in MP using the Sniper Wood kit restriction. Also in the sniper class. Best to activate only DS and IT with Sniper Wood at highest priority.

Sniper Wood on Google Drive

Thanks for that.

I'll see if I can find the other required files for anyone wanting to mod these weapons into GR1 proper. (Such as the texture files and such since I wasn't sure if they were included with the model or not since the animations seemed to be, no idea how GR1 handles it, but for SOAF, if I replaced the MP5SD model with a Beretta Model, it would automatically use Beretta animations.) 

I have added the texture files (and shotgun SFX since GR1 doesn't have any shotguns) to the download, alot of the weapons in SOAF share sounds from GR1 and it doesn't seem like any of the cut weapons had unique sound effects. 

Edited by Samz707

Not absolutely certain but the animations are determined by a line in the .gun file.

examples:
<WeaponMotionType>1</WeaponMotionType>   ak47
<WeaponMotionType>0</WeaponMotionType>  m9sd pistol
<WeaponMotionType>3</WeaponMotionType>  M24 bolt action
<WeaponMotionType>1</WeaponMotionType>  RPK74
<WeaponMotionType>2</WeaponMotionType>  50calMG
<WeaponMotionType>5</WeaponMotionType>  AT4
<WeaponMotionType>6</WeaponMotionType> spas-3

Probably more.

There is a line specifically for GLs if the weapon has one:
    <HasUnderbarrelWeapon>1</HasUnderbarrelWeapon>

Edited by wombat50

24 minutes ago, wombat50 said:

Not absolutely certain but the animations are determined by a line in the .gun file.

examples:
<WeaponMotionType>1</WeaponMotionType>   ak47
<WeaponMotionType>0</WeaponMotionType>  m9sd pistol
<WeaponMotionType>3</WeaponMotionType>  M24 bolt action
<WeaponMotionType>1</WeaponMotionType>  RPK74
<WeaponMotionType>2</WeaponMotionType>  50calMG
<WeaponMotionType>5</WeaponMotionType>  AT4
<WeaponMotionType>6</WeaponMotionType> spas-3

Probably more.

There is a line specifically for GLs if the weapon has one:
    <HasUnderbarrelWeapon>1</HasUnderbarrelWeapon>

As far as I can see, none of the cut weapons have .gun files aside from the OICW. (Which other than a HUD Icon, is identical to it's GR1 version) and the "MP5Case" which is a Briefcase held as a pistol with 10 rounds that instant kills everything. (So a meme dev weapon and/or maybe a cut very unfinished MP5 SMG in a suitcase, since those are a real thing.)

I've changed the model with SOAF's mod tools when changing weapon models, I didn't specificly tick that the weapon was a pistol or bullpup.

Interesting to see "Shotgun" as a weapon catagory in GR1 though, since there's no official shotguns in that game. (Aside from cutscenes/artwork for Island Thunder.)

I did find alot of Ghost Recon left-overs in SOAF's files, (including Tank/APC Sound effects despite SOAF having none), seems Red Storm didn't properly get rid of a good amount of unused GR assets, there's technically more unused weapons in SOAF's files such as the RPK but they're just the same as their GR1 models. 

Edited by Samz707

I tried using a SOAF stun grenade in GR.

Copied the file from SOAF, changed the model to a GR frag, changed the string.txt entry and renamed it frag.prj as a test. In SOAF if I saw correctly, enemies affected by stun grenades place their hands to their eyes like they are blinded. This does not happen in GR so it must be missing some code or animation. Doesn't crash the game though. Of course the possibility is I may have missed an important detail. 😃

17 minutes ago, wombat50 said:

I tried using a SOAF stun grenade in GR.

Copied the file from SOAF, changed the model to a GR frag, changed the string.txt entry and renamed it frag.prj as a test. In SOAF if I saw correctly, enemies affected by stun grenades place their hands to their eyes like they are blinded. This does not happen in GR so it must be missing some code or animation. Doesn't crash the game though. Of course the possibility is I may have missed an important detail. 😃

From what I've seen, it's probably new code. (like the Restrictive SP Squad-based kits, 4 items in a kit or the Heart Beat sensor and Rainbow Six-style map.)

There is a post I found awhile back, where someone made "Flashbangs" in GR1 via a mod, where they were Frag Grenades with the SOAF Flashbang model that did no damage but the AI would still treat them as dangerous grenades, so you'd throw them into a building with a Hostage/Civilian then shoot the AI while it's more focused on running away from the grenade.

Edited by Samz707