Need some help importing characters

Hi peeps!! 

I have a VM with 3dsm5 loaded up and ready for shenanigans, but I'm having some trouble importing and exporting ghost recon .chr files

Original tutorials made reference to a CHR import plugin for 3dsm 5 however I can't seem to locate this 

Does anyone have the plugin and a full process they can share??

Love ya! ❤️

Zee

I know nada about 3DSM but I found the linked on my hard drive if it is any value.
GR3dsChars.zip

I also have three versions of this qob2char.zip which may be totally unrelated.
And there is always the chance ApexMods has them somewhere in Heroes Unleashed.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28/03/2022 at 10:35, Zeealex said:

giving it a go! -I'm surprised how similar the weightings are to modern max versions image.png

How far along are you getting the character model to work now? I'm curious because I'm still stuck trying to get Sam Fisher working.

I'm trying to write a .chr plugin for modern max versions, that will allow for use of the features in those versions such as skin wrap which will make things about 900 times easier lol

its gonna take some time especially with my work schedule.

1 hour ago, Zeealex said:

I'm trying to write a .chr plugin for modern max versions, that will allow for use of the features in those versions such as skin wrap which will make things about 900 times easier lol

its gonna take some time especially with my work schedule.

Oooh, that'd be very helpful, though yeah, take your time. I even have the Sam Fisher model already as an .obj file, so it's more a matter of trying to tie it with an existing character model for proper animation. The SPAS-12 weapon model was already a for me and I just had to scale, orient and add the helper pointers for that. Didn't need to animate or tie anything else.

1 minute ago, pz3 said:

Looks like its going good to me. As far as max5 goes, thats why I always try to do as much as possible outside of it.

Were you able to get something working elsewhere? How much easier is it? I literally just want to turn the Sam Fisher .obj file I found into a working .chr file in Ghost Recon.

If you are doing modeling and texturing you can use anything else and bring it into max later. For rigging and exporting you have to use max5 until someone finds a way to update exporters somehow.

Edited by pz3

1 minute ago, pz3 said:

If you are doing modeling and texturing you can use anything else and bring it into max later. For rigging and exporting you have to use max5 until someone finds a way to update exporters somehow.

Okay, so if I already downloaded a fully working and textured .obj file from the internet, I have to use max5 for export? Is there an video tutorial on how to do that like there was for weapon tutorials?

Yes max5 for rig and export. No videos I know of, there might be a pdf  or html tutorial somewhere here on gr.net. I'll do one eventually but no idea when.

Edited by pz3

Just now, pz3 said:

Not videos, there might be a pdf  or html tutorial somewhere here on gr.net. I'll do one eventually but no idea when.

A video will help the best as it was only the videos that really helped me export the SPAS-12 model finally. That and the fact that I guess I had the scaling completely off when I attempted to use the reference models from the text tutorials and I made the gun way too small.

I'll get to them at some point maybe. I've been way to occupied trying to get something else going outside of modding. I really want to setup a laptop with all the modding stuff on it so I can just pull it out when I need a break from unity or unreal. I have my old dual core Crysis machine which would probably work too.

Edited by pz3

1 minute ago, pz3 said:

I'll get to them at some point maybe. I've been way to occupied trying to get something else going outside of modding. I really want to setup a laptop with all the modding stuff on it so I can just pull it out when I need a break from unity of unreal. I have my old dual core Crysis machine which would probably work too.

That'll probably be good. Keeps everything organized. I'm just too much of a noob to do any of this stuff by myself, at least for now. I could probably import weapons without help fairly easily now, though at this point all the guns I do want already have high quality models in other mods, so the SPAS-12 was literally the only thing I needed. lol

But man, having new characters as well would be cool. Installing the Rambo mod was already awesome, so having Sam Fisher would also be nice.

Yeah even though I've done all this in the past, I still have to relearn it a lot of times, couple years ago I started saving the tools and taking notes just so I myself wouldn't forget it all. Apex actually helped me do some of that. I guess we lost a few of the example assets from RSE too which hurts a little bit. Not sure If I'll be able to remember the exact rig and tags for certain things. HX mod might have a few things I need to look at as well. I think it had a few max files in it.

Edited by pz3

Just now, pz3 said:

Yeah even though I've done all this in the past, I still have to relearn it a lot of times, couple years ago I started saving the tools and taking notes just so I myself wouldn't forget it all. I guess we lost a few of the example assets from RSE too which hurts a little bit. Not sure If I'll be able to remember the exact rig and tags for certain things. HX mod might have a few things I need to look at as well. I think it had a few max files in it.

Yeah, a lot of stuff are no longer able to download due to dead links, too. Definitely made it harder for me as I never got into Ghost Recon until last year, so all those years people were here playing, modding and sharing the game completely passed me by.