Ghost Recon.net Forums

How (if possible) to change font size in box messages ?

Hi every one , i hope everybody are in a good health in this mondial pandemic ? i go back in my way to mod GR (help during quarantine !!!) a little further and i wish to know a way  to increase the size of fonts in the "messageboxforall" because they became smaller and smaller as i became old (sob...) I don't find anything on forum or in the fine mods i use ,even in "Heroes Unleashed" ...

I have also a problem with humvee i want to use in the  Centcom Mission "Prison" , it cannot succeed to climb the wood bridge ,face to the door of the prison, and it remain stuck in the middle ! strange or normal ?  can i change something in .vcl file ? 

As i progress in my use of Igor to make or rmx missions (for my use ) , i am already surprise by the inability of a tank or truck ...to pass a little twig and remain stuck on it ! Is it a know  limitation of the vehicles in G.R ? 

Thanks a lot for your interrest in my questions

Sincerely..

I have the same wish for the "messageboxforall", to make the font larger. I have capitalized all the letters and that helps.

The problem with the Humvee climbing the bridge on the Prison map and other vehicles getting stuck could be a pathing problem with the map and not the fault of the vehicle. This is a guess. I had a problem with a hostage on a map. He would follow until one section of the map then he would stop, turn around and try to find a different route to follow me. It was like an invisible barrier was in his way.

I'm pretty sure the Centcom Team disbanded a long time ago. Tinker and Lightspeed have both made mission packs that use the Centcom maps.

Thanks for this quick answer ! Good idea to capitalize text of messages , in waiting of someone with an other solution ? Or also to  type in messages who are yellow , red on screen ?

I go verify the map for my hummer ...i had also the same problem with an hostage ! The comprehension of paths and their logic is someting tricky ...And what do you think of my reflexion on the inability for heavy vehicle to overpass some (very little ) obstacles on their way , did you think it can be changed somewhere ?

And for Centcom Team , is it possible to put on Download some modified version of their missions without an express permission ??? 

2 hours ago, Acehole said:

And what do you think of my reflexion on the inability for heavy vehicle to overpass some (very little ) obstacles on their way , did you think it can be changed somewhere ?

I never made a map so I can't say.

About the Humvee going up the wooden bridge on the Centcom Prison map. Have you tried other vehicles? Maybe it would verify it to be a map or vehicle issue.

13 hours ago, Acehole said:

Or also to  type in messages who are yellow , red on screen ?

This file is modified to make the font yellow in the game. (new_font_revised.rsb)
Place it in Your Mod/shell/art folder. Link
Red font is very difficult to read on a black background and I would not recommend it.

Edited by wombat50

Thanks for the file ,but , i think  i  have already use it (from "Blood oil " i think) but it change all interface text in yellow ...i try this one and ,in fact , i think also to use ,in place of the message boxes, the text who appear (bigger font and yellow or red) on the upper left on the screen ...in scripts ,i think it is "displaymessageall/player...)

For the hummer and bridge ,same problem with a bmp ,so ,it's certainly the map ...i look closely to that but i am not really competent with maps , it's the good time to learn 

I agree about using displaymessageall. It is easier to read. I like to double space between words using it because it seems to get the words to close together with a single space. The only disadvantage is how long it appears. It can remain a long time but if there are many death notifications it will disappear quickly.
If it wasn't for that I would never use displaymessageboxall.

Ok, i understand the limitations of GR in the management of  vehicle , even i find quite ridiculous the exemple of a tank ,bloked by a bush 😁...For the problem you talk about ,for collision with the walls , it can be arranged in Igor (change start location, path..) What is the name of the mission (in Centcom, GR missions) ?

I think RussiaGhost is talking about the Origmiss mission M14 - Willow Bow.
I put a BMP on the M09 Swamp map. It would get stuck on bushes but I fiddled with the path in Igor and it worked fine.
What looked great was it coming out of the water after being totally submerged.
BMPs are amphibious but I don't think they can run totally submerged but I liked it.

About Pop-up Boxes.
I had not remembered this until now. A workaround for this is to change the screen resolution in the GR Graphic Options.

Switching to 1600 x 900 the font is easier to read. There are trade offs. Many HUD elements are larger; chat messages in the upper left-hand corner are smaller but still easily read. The last thing is the game does not look as nice but it is OK at 1600 x 900.

The smaller the resolution, for example 1280 x 720, the larger the font becomes. I'm going to try 1600 x 900 for a while.

Edited by wombat50
Posted (edited)

Good idea ! i try also to see "ingame" but my native résolution is 2560*1440, so it's a big drop but , at first sight , not too much ugly , just the ratio ...i must find the good one. In fact , the game was made for a time where the HD standards was 1280*1024 😄

For the collision problems , i go back to the M14 mission (Willow Bow) and re-play it > effectively , Bradley's (or BMP for RussiaGhost ? ) start very lately  , remain stuck or doesn't perform the final assault script ! so, i remix it for a try (path,triggers,zones..) and now the Bradley goes to final assault in time , a more useful help ...(like in real). Perhaps , put one (or more) RPG's on the way will be more challenging ...support the supports ! If you want a try , i can send you the mission ? 

For the font size in boxes , Even Apex have not find a way ??? 

Sincerely.

Edited by Acehole
4 hours ago, Acehole said:

Good idea ! i try also to see "ingame" but my native résolution is 2560*1440, so it's a big drop but , at first sight , not too much ugly , just the ratio ...i must find the good one. In fact , the game was made for a time where the HD standards was 1280*1024 😄

For the collision problems , i go back to the M14 mission (Willow Bow) and re-play it > effectively , Bradley's (or BMP for RussiaGhost ? ) start very lately  , remain stuck or doesn't perform the final assault script ! so, i remix it for a try (path,triggers,zones..) and now the Bradley goes to final assault in time , a more useful help ...(like in real). Perhaps , put one (or more) RPG's on the way will be more challenging ...support the supports ! If you want a try , i can send you the mission ? 

For the font size in boxes , Even Apex have not find a way ??? 

Sincerely.

Bradley it is called correctly.

the most interesting thing before installing add-ons it worked fine and it did not get stuck. After installing Thunder Island the technique began to get stuck. Perhaps there were improvements on this map and the route was not changed or something else. Sometimes, under some conditions, the tank drives through normally, and a couple of times I even managed to get both tanks to the end. Also, in my opinion, somewhere there is an RPG and the destruction of this tank is possible, at the expense of 2 I'm not sure if there is an RPG on the southern pass.

• Like 1

Hi, i attach the M14 mission i remix to have better path's for Bradley's ,it's seems to work in accordance to the scenario ... Effectively ,I see in the script that there are a "sneak action" from an actor , South Pass  (who, how  ???) and one who is supposed to blow the North Bradley with RPG , North Path, but , i don't see him in action anyway ..For better challenge , i will add (or revamp script) to have at least one RPG ...Thanks for your try and comments !

PS: I rename the mission in m14_mountain_p , so you can leave the original in place .

m14_mountain_p.mis

• Like 1

I like the idea of the original mission but the Bradleys are too slow to be much help.

I tried the attached version and the N Bradley got stuck on a bush shortly after starting.
I opened the attached version and the original in Igor and the initial path appears unchanged so I don't know why it gets stuck.
I have circled the location in red on the attached screenshot.

I made some minor adjustment to the N Bradley where it got stuck and it started working. Until making adjustments it always got stuck for me.
We can both agree vehicles can be very frustrating. 😃

The N Bradley can take two routes depending on which direction the player goes. Both Bradleys stop at certain points until an enemy squad is taken care of then continue forward.
No enemy tried to destroy the Bradleys with AT but my AI teammates may have killed them. Using the p version both Bradleys reached the tent camp. I spent some time testing the p version but don't consider it a complete test.
Bradleys.jpg

Thanks for trying, for my _p version, i don't change the first path and i try the original with not this problem ... but it remain stuck in the house later ! With the original ; the tanks are useless ,too late for help : the south Bradley go to the final assault practically when my soldier is almost in the Russian camp !

I try to keep the original first path (shorter) for the north Bradley but don't succeed, too much obstacles  ...so , it's a long way to the house .Perhaps , better to  keep the first path to the house and in a second time ,go reverse to the alternate path , (same i make) the  blue line ??? I don't see the Bradley take the alternate road , it's move always to the house .

The Bradleys who wait when there is an ennemy remain or hiding is painful , perhaps it's need to change the behaviour of the tank ,like "Combat ROE" on Assault ???

A big draw also ,with vehicles, it's when they have several and separate paths , if you go too  quickly , you engage an other trigger and the tank change of direction to the second paths ,with odd consequences ! i use in my _p mission ,bloc preserve & remove for each moves , so i hope it's the good  way to do. But, the better is to wait for the tank has finished his move , not easy if you don't know their destination .

I think also that the RPG's soldier is take out by AI , and no "sneak action" for me !

I go to put an enemy AT (or 2) for challenge .

Edited by Acehole

You will have to forgive me.
The N Bradley has three paths.
-The first path where it leaves insertion and stops before going to the house.
-The second path where it goes to the house and waits
-The final path to the tent camp.

I did not realize you replaced the short second path with a long second path to the house.
I incorrectly thought you had made the second path a random event. It might take either the short or the long path.
It is difficult enough without having two possible second paths so I think the long path to the house is the most reliable.
The long second path worked and allowed for the final path to the tent camp.
The confusion was all mine.

I agree it is better to wait for the tank to finish his moves but I find myself being impatient with them.
The Bradleys stopping until an area is cleared of enemies is a problem. The player(me included) may think they have quit working and go on without them.
I had to replay it several times before I realized the Bradleys stopped because the area was not clear of enemies.

The original mission is OK but it could be better. Maybe one objective should have both Bradleys get to the Russian Camp then players would be more patient with them.
But I am unsure how to add more than 4 objectives.
Thanks for taking the time to improve the mission.

Edited by wombat50

I have slightly changed the file font.res. The text of the message box becomes slightly larger, as do some menu items. Rockall, Heroes Unleashed and Blood_Oil use their own files, which would then also have to be changed there.

BoxScreenShot31.jpg

Box1ScreenShot30.jpg

MenuScreenShot33.jpg

font.zip

Edited by Eisenhauer