Ghost Recon won’t launch for another gamer!

Pixel Killer

Hello Everyone 

it’s been a while since I played the original Ghost Recon. My PC stopped playing the game years ago, and I moved on!

No I didn’t...

I just bought a refurbished Dell GX780 with Intel Core 2 Quad (2.40GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Hard Drive and Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64Bit). 

Apart from writing and editing photographs, another reason why I bought this dated machine is because Windows 10 won’t allow me to play some of my old games, like Deus Ex (2000), Ghost Recon (2001), and Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002). 

Although I successfully loaded Ghost Recon (2001), when I hit the icon to play, I was warned: “Access Denied : Please log in with administrator privileges and try again!”

I’ve resolved that issue, I think, but the game still refuses to launch. 

All suggestions appreciated

Pixel Killer 

If you are installing GR(2001) from a disc set it won't work because starting with Win7 it can't deal with the DRM on the disc set.
It is a Microsoft issue with Win7 and onward.
-You can try leaving one of the disc in the CD drive but I doubt it will work.
-Rename dghelp.dll in the main GR directory to dghelp_original.dll. This did allow GR to launch with one of my Steam versions but was not necessary on my second computer using the Steam version.
-Buy the Steam versions of GR, DS and IT. It is fully patched and the DRM has been taken out. I have used it on Win 7 and Win 10 computers.
-One other option which worked for me on Win 7 and 10 but mention of it is strictly frowned on at gr.net.
Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 1