Ghost Recon.net Forums

Video Tutorial Series

Hi pz3,

Ref. Video '12 - Sending to max (1080p).mp4' (from dropbox)

3DBuzz (where, in the video, you download the .Obj plugin from) is no more, what .Obj plugin would you recommend in its place?

Thanks

Edited by 5Kurz
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right on glad its helping a bit. I'll do a command map video at a later date. As I get around to it.  For now here is 2 more. Full weapon modeling and UV Mapping. I'll be doing the texture one as

Okay, so this is a more effective way of tagging surface properties then what I showed in the last video.   

Remade one of the videos real quick and a youtube channel for it. I'll leave them up this time if I do more.   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, pz3 said:

I'll put together a download pack later with example models etc. For now this is the obj plugin. https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=3dsmax5_OBJ_plugin.zip

I just tried that and it said that the files doesn't exist.

Sorry to be a pain, but can you put the file in the same location as the other videos ?

(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/58345qdyma0znbi/AAAgpNmiPFJ9UGnGEM6a_Pkxa?dl=0)

Many thanks.

Apex (I think) manages that drop box. It should be in there under "00-Tutorial Files / Plugins". They should be the same files I use. If it is not working I don't why. 

Still finishing this up. Will continue the weapon videos again when finished. 

aug.jpg

Edited by pz3
16 hours ago, pz3 said:

Apex (I think) manages that drop box. It should be in there under "00-Tutorial Files / Plugins". They should be the same files I use. If it is not working I don't why.

Downloaded that file plugins.zip  (containing Max2Obj.dle  and  Obj2Max.dli) and it now works (maybe the first file was corrupted in the download, but it wouldn't open), thanks pz3.

Hope to give this process a go soon(ish); am most interested in vehicles, so any hints/tips in that area would be most welcome!

• Like 1

Good to hear. Check the extras folder for the vehicle pdf file for now. It has the basic ideas in it. 

This is a little bit more advanced for blender. Combining UV maps and textures together using baking. Useful for optimization purposes. 

*edit* I spent most of the night re-organizing folders and example models. Got side tracked and started looking at some models in note pad. I think I'll be able to recreate some things with a bit of trial and error.

The following will likely be videos at some point in the future. Characters, Helicopters, Boats, Tracked Vehicles, Wheeled Vehicles, Stationary weapons, Placeable Items like sensors, and of course more level ones. 

Its going to take sometime. 

Edited by pz3
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lets see what happens Rocky. I got all summer. Playing around with the foliage still brushing up on my own workflow. still not quiet right yet. 

*edit* tried that in game. The game had a fit. Lol. 

*update* Ok, so instead of being lazy tossing it on the test level as static mesh, went ahead and rigged it up to see if it would behave better. Sure enough, I think it does. Im not going to push my luck with these though. I have a  feeling GR still doesn't like them. 

None the less, what your looking at is relatively low poly to todays standards. its actually a stylized way of doing trees. Farcry 1  used this concept in the game. Crytek would add a few as big cover trees to cast shadows in the forests.

Proof of concept, mostly works, still have to figure out how the lighting editor would treat something like this. 

trees.jpg

update2.jpg

Edited by pz3
  • Like 2

Quick Drop for anyone that might want it. 

While I was in Afghanistan I did take some photos for reference later on. Should of got more but there are a few in this zip file. Refrences included are the Hmmwv, RG31 MRAP, M4, M9, M136/AT4, M249, and a photo of a sat antenna setup. It's not much but can be useful. 

Download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yk8c04ylb98pdz/PZ's Refrence Photos.zip?dl=0

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

The last couple of days I've tried pushing the GR engine in a few different ways. I tried to bypass the lighting system and create my own lightmaps. It didn't work out though. An asset library is starting to come together too.

Last but not least. I've finally decided to focus on doing an Afghanistan map. I'll be doing some videos as I go through the process of making it. Whenever it is finished, I'll be putting all the files up for download. Should pair up nicely with Centcom don't you think? 

snip2.jpg

Edited by pz3
  • Like 2
  • Tier 1 Post 1
Posted (edited)

It can be daunting for sure but it becomes easier the more you learn. Certainly eats up a lot of time but completely worth it.

I tossed out a good bit of info in this thread so hopefully some people use it and get into it. Just want to mention something real quick. Max5 might be a roadblock for a lot of people but Blender is free. Anyone can certainly download it and get started modeling. 

https://www.blender.org/

I think GR seems to handle rubble like this fairly well. I'll keep at it with little things like this and see how it goes. Hescos look good in game too. 

The whole idea behind this video series originally was to just get the info out there. People pop up time to time asking questions about modding the game. 

I Just wanted to pass on the knowledge. 

grmap.jpg

Edited by pz3
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and made the tree modeling tutorial. I'll show you how to make this in blender and photoshop but also how to use the sapling tree generator addon to your advantage.  It's pretty lengthy but will have you creating some foliage in no time. 

Video Below

https://youtu.be/w75NGPHF8wc

treetutorial.png

Edited by pz3
  • Like 1

New video is a big one. Rigging and Exporting weapons into GR. Also setting up kits, kit icons, various other things.

VIDEO HERE

Example File Pack HERE

Kit Restrictions Video: HERE

Weapon Sounds Video: HERE

Edited by pz3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I noticed you ran 3ds max and CS2 in Windows XP(32 bit) (running) Oracle VM Virtual Box.
Is that an emulator or another computer that has XP as its OS. I have no idea what Virtual Box is or does but I'm curious.

I use CS2 on Win 10 and it can be a little flaky/annoying.
An example, sometimes opened images will disappear until I click somewhere on the screen to make them reappear.
Is this the reason you run CS2 in XP Virtual Box?

Edited by wombat50
2 hours ago, wombat50 said:

Thanks. I noticed you ran 3ds max and CS2 in Windows XP(32 bit) (running) Oracle VM Virtual Box.
Is that an emulator or another computer that has XP as its OS. I have no idea what Virtual Box is or does but I'm curious.

An example, sometimes opened images will disappear until I click somewhere on the screen to make them reappear.
Is this the reason you run CS2 in XP Virtual Box?

It's a virtual machine, so it's an emulator of sorts essentially. Its a platform that allows you to virtualise a fully functional machine from within your main operating system. It's really good but has some slight limitations.

Running PSCS2 in virtualbox alongside the other GR modding tools makes simpler to move stuff around in my experience, it's also better to run it on WinXP honestly

• Thanks 1

Virtual machines are more or less a system emulator. You can install whatever OS you want really. Has some drawbacks and oddities but nothing to crazy. 

3DSM5 really needs windows XP to run. That's the main reason to use it. 

CS2 is legacy for myself. Something I only need for GR. I use CC on win10. 

Edited by pz3
11 hours ago, wombat50 said:

Vote for hardware build. For exmple, old 775 socket powered by xeon x5450 (i bought one of those on aliexpress), 775 or higher (1156, 1155) will be enough. Software emulators are not good enough for 3d, like old games or 3d editors, some of them work, but most are not supported.

• Thanks 1