A look back on Ghost Recon Wildlands - Late Review

Pros

My initial thoughts on the game were pretty harsh since it seemed like a 180 from ghost recon future solder, but as I've been playing it lately I've actually come to love it . It pushes the boundaries of depth and immersion for a realistic setting , its 4 player coop , Is one of the first games I've ever seen to emphasize the importance of situational awareness and how nicely layered level design can hinder or improve a missions success not to mention that some missions are very creative and get intense at times. Even for those who didn't find to much of a challenge you can customize your HUD for a more realistic experience if you desire. The expansion Fallen Ghosts had the exact tone that I wish the entire game carried. I think my favorite enemy was El yayo because he felt like a real character, as far as the most impactful missions those would be

Spoiler

where we found out about Agent Sandoval or when Amaru died later in the game towards the end.

These were some of the only missions that made me feel like there were real consequences for trying to turn a Cartel that had a grip on the whole nation, on its head. 

Cons

Not enough cut scenes, poor voice acting, AI Civilians every freaking where and even when ###### got thick they would run toward gun fire or stay right there and cower. Me spawning a vehicle and not being able to find it in a dire situation (limited/no HUD). Being able to change your entire load out on the fly. That mechanic by itself makes the idea of a weapons crate in bases redundant. The release of pvp came awhile after the release of the game and to my disappointment it was a bit lackluster however I haven't sunk an incredible amount of time in it yet so maybe there's more to love that I'm not giving it credit for. However currently it just seems like a glorified squad death match to me where you hunt each other, however it was made clear that it wasn't meant to be this kind of game I believe a lot more could have been done. The objective based, team work oriented pvp in ghost recon future soldier in my eyes is the best. Thats without even mentioning the beautifully designed multiplayer maps.

~Just wanted to share 

• Like 3
  • Tier 1 Post 1

I've been thinking about posting an update review too because I just love this game the more I play it. 

I think putting on Tier mode helped because it leads you down a path where the difficulty level is just like the original Ghost Recon and you WILL be punished hard for making mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Tier 1 Post 1

Great review. I share most of your opinions.

But I would like to say that I hope Ubisoft goes all out with the next Ghost Recon game. For all the fun I've had with Wildlands, it honestly feels like a less polished version of Far Cry. Transitioning to an open world is probably the best decision they've made for the series and it disappoints me that they played it too safe with this installment.

It's not like Ubisoft is risk-averse, either. They could've easily made Siege a by-the-numbers multiplayer FPS that appealed to the widest demographic. Instead they stuck to their guns, and two years later Siege is a resounding success.

• Like 2