Just bought a new rig for GRWL

Finally, I could take it no more - I had to upgrade the CPU as it's been a bottle neck in my PC for at least 4 years.

I toyed around with a new card but new it just wasn't going to cut it.

Quickly ran a test of my current set up on - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ and it came back as a Sail Boat - not surprising lol.

So after doing some playing around with $$$ and specs I settled on:

• Ryzen 5 1600 (which can be OC)
  • 16 gig Corsair Ram @ 3200
  • EVO 960 MI.2 SSD 250 gig - apparently a good SSD
  • A new HDD drive - I'll find out the specs
  • Sapphire RX580 4 gig
  • Gigabyte Mobo (having some issues with it - will prolly change it)

Ran the test again with stock settings and it's - Battleship - 70%

Bordering on Aircraft Carrier so going to try n push it there over the weekend. Should be a vastly improved gaming experience now. :)

• Like 5

Ok so previously I could only play on medium settings.

Before: ~ 35 fps.

After: ~ 80 fps.

Turning up to Ultra, I can't max everything because my card is only 4 gig - but for the most part stuff is at max.

FPS ~ 60.

But visually, it's sooooooo much better and smoother, not something that FPS alone will tell.

Very happy.

Now going to test Arma 3 which I used to get ~ 25 - 30 fps.

Update:

Arma 3 on Ultra runs at minimum 60fps (I think my monitor may be holding it back)

When zooming on targets fps can climb over 100.

Will report back if oc'ing brings any further improvement.

Edited by Lightspeed
  • Like 2

nice updates lightspeed :D

i upgraded just the gfx card, i think my base system is ok so dont think i need to spend more.

Gaming 103% UFO
Desktop 72 % Battleship
Workstation 50% Yacht

i think it really penalises for hard drives, but my games and OS run from SSDs so no issues :)

Edited by Panic
  • Like 1

So I'd never heard of this UserBenchmark before so thought I go check it out. Thanks Lighty.

My  results

Gaming 93% Nuclear Submarine

Desktop 78% Battleship

Workstation 61% Destroyer

The most surprising to me was my DDR 4 memory was slower then I thought it was. Looks like I may want to upgrade that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightCrawler said:

The most surprising to me was my DDR 4 memory was slower then I thought it was. Looks like I may want to upgrade that.

was that the part where it rates components compared to others that have the exact same motherboard?  my ram was rated low also, but i'm not over clocking, i suspect by the look of things that a lot of other ppl with my mobo are overclocking.

• Like 1

Congrats on your new PC lighty. Cool benchmark tool that too!

Gaming 108% UFO
Desktop 93% Nuclear submarine
Workstation 72% Battleship

Graphics 121% is an outstanding 3D score, it's the bee's knees. This GPU can handle almost all 3D games at very high resolutions and ultra detail levels.
Boot Drive 74.9% is a good SSD score. This drive enables fast boots, responsive applications and ensures minimum system IO wait times

Interesting to see drive performance, very cool info.

Got some warning about my RAM though...

Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400 C11 4x8GB
995 User benchmarks - Average bench 65%
4 of 4 slots used
32GB DIMM DDR3 clocked @ 1333 MHz
 Performing below potential (36th percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled

• Like 2

Nice.

Yeh i like the site, it shows where we could get to compared to others with same/similar specs.

My RAM is slightly down even though its 2 × 8 gig Corsair Vengeance 3200. Reason: because Ryzen is so new that the mobos haven't caught up yet and can only max 2667.

I'm dropping a water cooler in and added 2 fans. Then im taking the Ryzen to 4g.

• Like 1