Wildlands - My Opinion so Far

Im pretty sure turning off all that annoying voice over would help immensely too. It is the single most unGR immersion killer aspect of the game.

My other biggest question at the moment is why after only completing 2 or 3 regions do I not feel excited to play this game at all. Maybe too rinse repeat?

felt a little like that myself lightspeed, but i found myself enjoying it more later on, some of the areas and missions are different enough to not get that same feeling. nice to mix up the approach to the missions also, i think we pretty much approached each mission in the exact same way for the first few provinces. it's a nice change to use the LMGs for example or land in the middle of the unidad base in a helo and fight your way out rather than in :)  even did an assault with 3 of the large yellow diggers, just used what was round for a change rather than sneaking in from 300m.   now i have a problem that ive finished the story, but looking at another play through or selecting certain missions and using more tactics.  my current favorite thing is using the CQB takedown:D , 50 hours ago it was sniping silently heh.

I've got to say that I've really come around to Wildlands. At first I was skeptical just by nature of it being yet another game sporting the GR name and the fact that I really am not a fan of Ubisoft. After letting go of some unfair expectations I really saw the game for what it was and it's an enjoyable game. 

I'm obviously a huge fan of GR and the GTA series is a close second favorite for me. I've always wanted an open world military game but most games before Wildlands fell short. I'm a huge fan of the original Mercenaries (basically a military GTA) but it really lacked the tactical gun play that I enjoyed from GR. The came MSGV which has  probably the best gameplay mechanics of any game I've played. However I don't enjoy the wacky alternate reality part of the MSG series and MSGV was truthfully an unfinished repetitive game.While I wish Wildlands had some of the indepth stealth features MSG had, the destructible environments found in Mercenaries, and the lifelike world of the GTA series; Wildlands to me is that perfect combo of open world freedom and tactical military shooter. Plus I liked having the drug cartel as an enemy.

My advice to any old time GR fans is to let go of any criticisms of GR series and try Wildlands with an open mind. It's not GR but it's still a great tactical military game. I thank Ubisoft for taking the GR series in a new direction and I hope they can continue to bridge the gap between old GR players and newer GR installments. 

Edited by shakealeg1212
  • Like 3

When flying a helicopter, does the game require you to use a console keypad to fly effectively, or will a M&K be sufficient?

Active multiplayer?  Servers busy?  How do you complete missions when joining a public server, or is that just setting you up for ultimate failure? (I presume comms is pretty much essential?)

I've been checking the game out for a bit and I'll say it's impressive and some gameplay/coop videos on YT have got my interest sparked.

• Like 1

Chopper is easy to use with m/k.

Cant comment on MP.

Coop is enjoyable but dont pub it coz it's just a free for all. And yes you need comms for coop.

I enjoy playing sp and coop. I find sp i can slow down and take in details of the campaign better. I will def run through it again from the beginning at some point too.

What I like is that I dont feel the need to rush through it. Taking down a cartel should take months of work and you can do it like that as you can play a few hours a couple of times a week knocking over missions here and there.

The land and game is vast and amazing value for the $60 I paid for it. What can you get for $60 nowadays? 3 - 4hours entertainment? This is a couple of hundred hours over a year or so. Great value.

Missions can be extremely challenging. Make one wrong move 25 minutes into a mission and everything can turn to ###### then you have to start over. 

Finally, add an incredible landscape with loads of unique enemy compounds, a decent variety of missions and the interesting locals going about their business. You just want to explore it all.

You won't be disappointed I'm sure of that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cobblers said:

When flying a helicopter, does the game require you to use a console keypad to fly effectively, or will a M&K be sufficient?

Active multiplayer?  Servers busy?  How do you complete missions when joining a public server, or is that just setting you up for ultimate failure? (I presume comms is pretty much essential?)

I've been checking the game out for a bit and I'll say it's impressive and some gameplay/coop videos on YT have got my interest sparked.

Helo is usable on M&K but takes a little getting used to. 

Play MP with friends, always, better that than randoms, my boyfriend and I are free for games on most days, so just give me a shout, we're generally stealth/tactical. 

8 minutes ago, Cobblers said:

Thanks for that Lightspeed, so regards the missions - can I complete these in which ever way I wanted, ie with a Gun Ho or Stealth approach?

on occasion you're forced into "no detection allowed" but it's on about 5% of all missions, and sometimes you need to take a guy alive, but you can play the game generally how you want otherwise. 

Thanks Nightcrawler, and everyone else who posted up info.  (on things I was too lazy to look up)

And yes, I took the wife "computer desk" shopping today... and once I get a new rig sorted I'll enjoy trying GR:W out.

Keep safe all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's still my favorite PS4 game to play. I enjoyed the OGR games a lot more, but that's cause I actually had friends to play them with. I game with my one coworker, but it's very limited and his style doesn't match mine. He's more Leroy Jenkins. I need to get back to makin YouTube vids. Fun game to add commentary on.

• Like 1