Ghost Recon.net Forums

Wildlands Closed Beta - Press Release

3 hours ago, Zeealex said:

Played Co-Op with EasyCo and Zoombapup today, and i'll admit the experience was better, I owe that a lot to the non scripted camaraderie and good communication between the three of us than the mechanics of the game being substantially better. 

I believe Easy was recording, I'll post the youtube link here if he doesn't later. 

We sat down and played EVERY mission of the beta. 

This is not a game like OGR, Swat, or Ground Branch; which, we still play on random weekends. It's a social shooter that just works. 

You get a good group of people together with similar play styles, like zoomba and zee, and you will get lost in the game.

I recorded some gameplay and may get a video out tomorrow. Game audio didn't record so looking at highlights and doing a little voiceover.

Overall if you have a good machine and friends to coop with this is worth a look.

• Like 4
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who has been an active member of GR.Net for the last decade should get one automatically....we are the original Ghosts godamnit. All those in favour say "Aye".

I'd like to see a tactical realism mode with: · no RPG skill and load-out building or magic/fantasy Easter egg hunts for same · no respawn but add AI squad backup support for COOP & soul sw

We sat down and played EVERY mission of the beta.  This is not a game like OGR, Swat, or Ground Branch; which, we still play on random weekends. It's a social shooter that just works.  You g

Posted Images

Just did another 3-4 hours with EvilDucky and  turned everything OFF the Hud except for mini-map.

It means the Drone is still useable and can mark targets on the mini-map, but doesn't show them on the screen.

I wonder if 4 player co-op will be challenging enough - unless it spawns in extra enemies.

1 hour ago, Lightspeed said:

Just did another 3-4 hours with EvilDucky and  turned everything OFF the Hud except for mini-map.

It means the Drone is still useable and can mark targets on the mini-map, but doesn't show them on the screen.

I wonder if 4 player co-op will be challenging enough - unless it spawns in extra enemies.

doing this means sync shot is a no go correct?

maybe the way to go is, not using drone but keeping the mini-map to show enemies you see by way of Recon.

9 hours ago, Zeealex said:

That said, it was fun, I can put my hands up and admit that, we lost 3 hours easily...

I admit it too....I was internally one of the biggest critics of WildLands after seeing gameplay videos. I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

I cant put my finger on it, its not milsim but it is incredibly fun and immersive. The music and scenery just fits. Co-op definitely makes the experience.

5 hours ago, EasyCo said:

We sat down and played EVERY mission of the beta. 

This is not a game like OGR, Swat, or Ground Branch; which, we still play on random weekends. It's a social shooter that just works. 

You get a good group of people together with similar play styles, like zoomba and zee, and you will get lost in the game.

We did the same.....it is a social shooter, thats a great way to put it. And as un-explainable as it is, it does work.

I love realistic tactical shooters and this is not one. But I can deny that it is absolutely fun. Agreed, somehow you do get immersed in the game.

• Like 2

Wow some light in the tunnel. 

Those grand days of yesterday are over.

Once you have a heart attack or lose someone close you start to realize there are only a few things in life that really matter. Since you're all adults you know what I'm talking about.

8 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

doing this means sync shot is a no go correct?

maybe the way to go is, not using drone but keeping the mini-map to show enemies you see by way of Recon.

The way we were working towards was keeping the drone but removing the mini map. I took the mini map as like a little GPS that's tied into your drone the marked the last spot of the targets. If only they didn't move on it, it would be awesome.

Edited by Evilducky
spelling

I tried both ways:

-No drone used, with only mini-map and no displays it worked great as mini-map would only populate things i see... unfortunately marking targets for teammates was disabled and removed the only justification for teammates beyond healing.

-No drone use and no mini-map but with display up... target labeling was up and no drone use meant i had to spot my own targets.. its a bit annoying but ultimately my preferred compromise..

It would be so much better if they let us choose even more toggles.. id have everything off except for marked targets

10 minutes ago, nyleken said:

My favorite moment so far is having an enemy QRF die because they crashed into a dumpster. No input on my end, they died because of their own incompetence.

send footage to Unidad Army W T F!

Edited by 5timechamp
  • Like 2

I'm really confused by the reinforcement mechanic. I have no idea what conditions trigger it other than maybe going loud. Yet, that produces pretty inconsistent results. Sometimes the AI calls for backup, sometimes not.

Is it like MGSV where only larger outposts have access to a command post that can communicate with regional headquarters to send in QRFs from adjacent outposts (yes, that's a thing)? Or is it dependent on the proximity of AI patrols nearby? 

I've had some time to mull over it and this is just a few features that I wanna see personally:

1) An ability to see another player's drone feed
you know how GRAW had that candid camera thing going on where you could see where the other ghosts were what was going on? I'd like to see that but with the Drone, I noticed it when playing with EasyCo and gang that it would be a really neato thing to do be able to do and would better assist with situational awareness.

2) An Insta-die button/Crawl Mechanic
lying around for a minute watching some dude who just shot you in the back take pot-shots at your friends kinda sucks in a good way, but also a bad way, I mean, I feel kinda bad that I sucked that hard I got shot in the back and now my friends are taking the heat, but it also sucks that i'm waiting a minute to respawn when I know they're not gonna get to me. it would be great if we could drag ourselves to cover if we get hit like GRFS allowed us to or at least have a button that allows us to instantly Respawn. 
Maybe even have a "man-down melee"? so if someone is literally standing on top of you, you can at least still be somewhat useful. 

3) remove the "Respawn/Retry" loadup screen
It was kind of an annoyance when playing co-op, the mission we were doing was bugged and every time we started it, it would instantly fail, meaning we would get that loading screen up and we'd reset positions, it would be better frankly if we could just continue on seamlessly despite mission failure and try again later. The screen's nice and all, but it's not necessary, it would be better from my own perspective if it instead continued on and you couldn't retry the mission for, say, 5 minutes (allowing scripts to reinitialize and the environment to reset as the player will have probably moved on)

4) Killable everything #ChickenLivesMatter

It's kinda weird that you can kill chickens but not llamas, are llamas sacred or something?

5) Unidad Weapons Cache Raid missions
I think this is one possible solution to the "grind" people are talking about, instead of looking for weapon pickups in (albeit plausible) places, why not have a mission type that rewards more daring players with shiny new kit?
Unidad have good weapons, right? and the player needs weapons, right?!
so if the player raids a Unidad base with a weapons cache, there's going to be shiny new weapons and gear they can pick up there, BUT the catch is it's heavily defended with reinforcements on standby at the hint of trouble, so the players are rewarded for going in there and coming out alive, with new weapons and gear, sounds plausible?
Or Maybe, have a US supply drop in a nearby location but the Ghosts and the Narcos have to fight over it? 

• Like 4

I'd like to see a tactical realism mode with:

· no RPG skill and load-out building or magic/fantasy Easter egg hunts for same
· no respawn but add AI squad backup support for COOP & soul switching
· flesh out some tactical node behavior in the bots so they're challenging
· make the bots sound and light aware
· play once vo and then off, or text mode narrative only option (it's truly horrible)

That would take the game in a 'from the neck up ' direction where there's some play-ability beyond RPG for magic prize rewards for murder sprees and grind Easter egg hunts -- like the cringe trip of T1 Operators crossing country to get the proper furniture on their rifle out of the basement of a drug cartel crack house... Please!

I'm well aware some people love the, ah, low level of participation and focus vanilla GTA\RPG games require... I'm representing the contrarian view that there are tactical realism fans, tens of millions of them in point of fact that could like this game too were more offered then a false promises.

Edited by 101459
  • Like 5

I like pretty much everything Zee and 101 contributed here. Hopefully UBI will listen to these points.

The game made me realize how outdated my card was and basically persuaded me to purchase a new Nvidia card. Will be getting the game "free" with my purchase now. 

Look forward to seeing how good it can look, with my upgraded system, and hopefully; UBI addresses some of the issues noted above to add to my enjoyment. :)

• Like 2

My days of asking for a Real GR are long behind me. I know it's not going to happen. Was hoping a couple others might step into the fray and fix the hole but that hasn't happened either.

So I'm not asking for nothing. I play what comes down the pike and either enjoy or delete.

EasyCo you're going to love the new vid card, are you getting the 1070 or 1080?

Edited by NightCrawler
  • Like 1

Can't disagree with any of the above - in fact I did promote the crawl mechanic that zee mentioned to the devs, they liked the idea, but sometimes other things take priority I guess. 

I have to 1080 Easy and was getting 60-70 FPS on the beta with everything on high. I did see some slowdown though, even though fraps was reporting 50-60 fps, so not sure what was happening there.

Game looked stunning.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 101459 said:

I'm representing the contrarian view that there are tactical realism fans, tens of millions of them in point of fact that could like this game too were more offered then a false promises.

I'm not sure if I heard this explicitly expressed, if it was a casual comment, or where exactly I heard this recently, but the opposing view is that the tact realism fans are now a niche, and far from being tens of millions of them, they are a small but disproportionately vocal minority.

Its no secret that Ubisoft are trying to appeal to the wider market with Wildlands, indeed it is blatantly obvious, so Ubisoft may also subscribe to the thought that tact realism is now a niche genre.

I'm interested to know where do you get the tens of millions figure from?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Zeealex said:

things can always be added later... just look at arma...

If you look at what Ubisoft are doing with R6 Siege, they are constantly adding and updating. This is another reason I am positive about Wildlands as I see it as an even bigger release than Siege, so it should have an equally impressive 1 or 2 year roadmap of content support.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

If you look at what Ubisoft are doing with R6 Siege, they are constantly adding and updating. This is another reason I am positive about Wildlands as I see it as an even bigger release than Siege, so it should have an equally impressive 1 or 2 year roadmap of content support.

I hope you're right.

As a publisher of games Ubi would be looking at things like that, as well as, the fact that open worlds like GTA are selling like hot cakes. It's a no brainer for me, but Ubi tried to keep it GR flavoured.

I don't feel Ubi are being deceitful about the game, it is what it is, no pressure to buy it. It has Ghosts, it has recon, stealth or assault. So it is technically Ghost Recon with a new flavour.