Ghost Recon Wildlands 20min Walkthrough

14 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Dude you are fast.

Better get ready to stick to your keyboard next week if you're going to keep up with things lol...

I didn't know this was a race ;) seriously though, i was just lucky and saw it in my subscriptions while i was browsing.

Anyhow

I just finished watching,  and it most definitely is the best gameplay in terms of basic gameplay info, like zeealex said this is the type of video they should have been releasing

The commands is pretty much what i though they would be, they are ok i can work with them.

The movement system seems off, idk how to describe it, but it feels stiff and unatural in terms on animations

the rain effects that hit the player are awful

weapon models/sounds are fantastic

synch shot&gunsmith is back :D

AI seems ok-ish, cant tell until i play it

Arbitrary skill point system, i hate it, will probably cheat and unlock everything cause i don't care about it.

The dialogue/VO is cringy, i don't like it, and the cutscene at the end was a bit of a pain to watch, idk why, ubi has some of the cheesiest storytelling/writing i have ever seen, feels like a hollywood high production movie from a bad writer.

Highest difficulty  makes the player die with one shot, knowing ubi i don't know how well they will balance that, i will probably play 1 level below that, depends.

I am still on the fence, i don't like open world games, especially ones with a lot of filler in them, thus far i haven't seen anything standout or unique to make me buy it on launch. 

The Beta will probably make my mind on what to do (if i get a code)

1 minute ago, SCAgent said:

Highest difficulty  makes the player die with one shot, knowing ubi i don't know how well they will balance that, i will probably play 1 level below that, depends.

This concerns me too, I don't want to be taken out with one shot but the enemy can take an entire mag before going down, especially considering a lot of them don't even have armour vests on. 

3 minutes ago, SCAgent said:

The movement system seems off, idk how to describe it, but it feels stiff and unatural in terms on animations

It's a common issue with MOCAPS especially when using so much of it, I would imagine its also down to pacing. 

4 minutes ago, SCAgent said:

synch shot&gunsmith is back :D

yes, but along with it is a ridiculous cooldown system which I'd rather they didn't have. 

5 minutes ago, SCAgent said:

the rain effects that hit the player are awful

I agree but I have a feeling it's down to optimization than anything.

I recognized some of the foliage from megascans, which I myself use often :D

I wanted to see the Ai systems at play...

all i saw was the player on point, clearing an area then the ai teammates staging forward..

they have my money mostly.. be great if they earned it..

i must admit being disappointed by the animations.. just too limited..maybe its limited because of the open world nature but.. eh

The rain effects off character models is poor, you are right, they are still working on this though as it was one the the feedbacks. On the flip side there are some really awesome water effects elsewhere, yes.

I don't understand why they would but a cooldown on syncshot, it's not realistic to have a delay like that, I can only guess it's on the skill tree to remove it or shorten it.

What is cool about syncshot is, it works the same in co-op or solo! So when playing with teammates, you can also mark the targets 1,2,3, and 4, and assign them to your team (over comms), or you can do it old school and shout out descriptors (ie I've got white t-shirt, you get the walker).

In the closing scene here, I agree, it was very cringy dialogue, but the graphics are awesome, don't know if you picked up on the lip sync etc.

The squad control wheel you saw there 5timechamp, that's basically it - what you see on that wheel is what you can do with your team, so the gameplay does kind of play out how you describe it. It's not what old schoolers who are used to individual squad/team control (like GR1) will have been hoping for but it does offer up creative gameplay at times. I've never seen them do anything stupid, so it'll be up to the player to make the best use of them when required.

That was pretty cool. I wish the squad controls were a bit more in depth (individual troop movement orders) but what they have seems simple, yet effective, much like the original. This is a huge plus for people with less than optimal internet, and for the longevity of the game when people move on to other games.

The gameplay looks like it has decent pacing. It also looks like there is a real potential for flexibility in how you play. Splinter Cell/Metal Gear on one end of the spectrum and Far Cry/Just Cause on the other.

The story presentation leaves a bit to be desired, but honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal. The gameplay and world looks solid so far, and I am really glad about that. Beyond that is icing on the cake.

Oh by the way, is that a Red Storm logo on the dude's shirt at 13:55? 

I liked some of the animations,  like Ghost Lead shutting the car door with his foot when his hands were full of gun and nun, instead of the car door just shutting on its own.

Also, moving on very uneven terrain with any real speed is awkward, especially with weight on your back, so I thought that was neat to see.

Gunsmith looks great, though I hope I can coordinate weapons choice with my team so we're not carrying 12 different guns. Also to change my AI team's outfits as well.

I noticed a "noise reduction" stat in the Gunsmith screen. I'm wondering if caliber plays into it, or at least barrel length. Shorter barrels are less cumbersome with suppressors, but damn are they loud. An AR with an 8.5 inch barrel is loud, and even a decent barrel length and suppressor won't make a rifle truly hearing-safe unless you're shooting subsonic (though .300 Blackout has subsonic and supersonic loadings, plus it's optimized for short barrels). I know Wildlands is still doing Hollywood suppressors like every other game, but hopefully a suppressed subgun or pistol will be quieter than a suppressed rifle.

Coming from someone that upgrades his ar15 every year, I like the looks of the gunsmithing feature. :)

Nice you can modify muzzle. Guess you don't really change out the trigger group just shows rate of fire. Trigger pull probably wouldn't translate in a game anyways.

gunsmith.PNG

Edited by EasyCo

Im v interested in Apex and 101459 opinions of this, hoping they find something for them in here.

I thought that was pretty enjoyable and lots of ways that could have been approached.

VO cheesy as a raw f* but anyways.

Still drives me crazy that they infil with a chopper and exfil with a jeep, leaving behind the chopper, that's just silly stuff.

Also, need a first person view or toggle at least.

But I will buy this and enjoy it.

Edited by Lightspeed

I'm still skeptical, even cynical... I want to like this game, I will probably buy it, but for a game that is supposed to have been in the works for so long, and has had so much input, there are still glaring eye sores and 'gotchas' that haven't been a problem in any other games for over a decade and are just cringe worthy... Run this video at 1080p full screen, like you're playing the game and you'll see everything I'll mention here and a lot more...

The VO and voice direction is terrible... It's cheesy, poorly written, with way too much useless patter, over acting, and histrionics that take more away from the atmosphere of the game then add to it... It's actually more arcade, cartoon and clownish then the Just Cause games.

The HUD is a mess: with more then eleven different styles of art, both skeuomorphic and non-skeuomorphic elements, flat and pseudo 3d effects (from different perspectives that don't match) it looks like a bad art project, or they fired half a dozen different people at various stages of progress on the HUD and game -- it will give a lot of people headaches (literally) I guarantee it... 

This is old game design 101 stuff that's well documented, and game fans have been complaining about for years; the more 2D, and much worse pseudo 3d crap you hang over a game in the form of a HUD, the more you interrupt the gamer's brain interpreting 3D depth cues, and make the scene look like a flat comic book cell. The sensory dissonance this creates will also give a lot of people headaches -- this is why you see more and more games going to minimal, flat 2D HUDs.

No need is served by 2D talking faces with meaningless bouncing animated bar graphs of nothing, throbbing spinning progress bars, and zooming swooshing HUD elements -- or maybe they are needed to distract some of the slower witted from what isn't going on in the game...

The enemy AI look like something abandoned from games fifteen years ago; with suicidal zombies, raging Rambo standing spraying and aiming at nothing, running into walls, and zig-zaging around like blind slipping penguins with concussions, c'mon...  The squad AI moves nicely enough, after you blind yourself with the enormous idiot 4 option squad HUD that consumes half the screen and mixes three new HUD design affectations that match nothing else... Yuck!

The flight model of the helicopter looks like something that never happened; perhaps the guy that was supposed to do that code quit or died or the code they ordered hasn't arrived, but it looks like car physics with everything turned off -- they didn't even try, it looks terrible -- an atmospheric flight in the rain looks like a clown car ride, and the twitch and turn undamped follow camera is just as bad  or worse -- this stuff was done better in almost 20 year old BSP and voxel engines games...

I have a bad feeling that if you light up and alert the AI the game turns into a mosh pit of zerging zombie AI that if you look at what it's doing will make you cringe, or very sad, and worst of all, bored...  This is not nav-mesh AI and it certainly doesn't look like there are even any heuristic behavior routines, it looks like simplistic, old, crude path node stuff, and having to decorate an enormous map with it will make it not only an enormous amount of work, but the result will very ugly and disappointing as often as not.

I want to like this game, I want to be optimistic, but this was a choreographed and produced twenty minutes of game play, put together to sell the game; it's not some guy or gal just going in and trying it to see what happens if. So the game should look really good, they should have at least tried to move the cameras and aircraft like something realistic was going on -- but they didn't.

What I see isn't tactical realism, it isn't even realism, it looks another Ubisoft arcade shooter, with all kinds of; as we go, add on, hang on stuff from enormous HUD junk forjust 4 squad AI options (which strikes me as  "Look! We did it, Tactical Realism Squad AI Menu -- IT'S HUGE!" to the action Barbie costume center feature that must of cost a fortune in time and man/woman power to develop...

But it looks to me like the actual game design, AI, squad features, game-play took a back seat to fluff you'll diddle with once; lace combat bloomers and pointy hats. Soon enough we'll know I reckon. I hope the examples I'm criticizing are works in progress that get fixed, or I can dampen the enthusiasm of people that want to like the game enough that when it arrives they aren't disappointed.

Edited by 101459

What's a real shame about the cut scene scripting is the Wildlands has a great story, and it's being degraded by that cut scene in the latest video. I'm one of those gamers that's never paid much attention to background stories or plots in shooters - not at all. Adventure games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, stuff like that yes, the story is everything, but in shooters, for me, meh.

However, in Wildlands they have put some much thought and effort into the narrative, that I have to say it's really hooked me, to the point that one of the motivators to play Wildlands is actually the story, and to see how it's going to play out. I'm bought into the characters, I'm bought into the narrative, and I'm bought into the how player choices will affect the course of the plot. It's clever stuff, and to bring this into a shooter, I really do applaud the dev team on this point.

HUD design is a matter of personal preference, so long as it can be customised and have elements switched off - that's important.

A mosh pit of zerging zombies? Really? That's not what I have seen or experienced when playing it.

The demo will be out soon, so you can jump in and experience it for yourself. If it's a co-op demo I hope you have 3 friends because it's a blast - whatever your preferred play style. 

@ 101459 - Honestly, the way you carry on about a game - you see things that 99% of players won't see, don't notice or don't care about. So unfortunately, it leads me to believe the problem is just you. You ought to but probably won't lighten up, but end of the day it's a game, which means it's supposed to be gamey, not real life AND be fun to play. It doesn't need to or try to play like a Tom Clancy book.

From what I've seen so far, I see so much to love about this game and can see the hard work the Devs have put in to this game and they should be proud. Chopper mechanics aren't perfect, who cares, the chopper is a means to an end - it allows you to travel great distances quickly by air. It does the job it's supposed to.

I look forward to jumping into this game with a few ppl, allocating leadership to one player for a mission then swapping, trying silent or going loud and see what happens. It's not tactical realism as such, but I can go as tactical as I want to in this. Personally, I won't chopper my way to within 200m of an objective where others might, and I probably won't use drone much. But whatever way it's done, it will be a blast.

Edited by Lightspeed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lightspeed said:

@ 101459 - Honestly, the way you carry on about a game - you see things that 99% of players won't see, don't notice or don't care about. So unfortunately, it leads me to believe the problem is just you. You ought to but probably won't lighten up, but end of the day it's a game, which means it's supposed to be gamey, not real life AND be fun to play. It doesn't need to or try to play like a Tom Clancy book.

From what I've seen so far, I see so much to love about this game and can see the hard work the Devs have put in to this game and they should be proud. Chopper mechanics aren't perfect, who cares, the chopper is a means to an end - it allows you to travel great distances quickly by air. It does the job it's supposed to.

Well we disagree, I'm posting my opinion based on what I've seen in this video and others -- and  I'm not alone or the first to mention these things, some that have played the game got me to notice this stuff.  

You may be right, Ubisoft might be holding out, and the game might be full of pleasant surprises that obviate the warts and eye sores -- I sure hope so. But my experience is that an enormous number of realism fans (tactical realism or not) that see this stuff over and over again in a game, because your exposed to it constantly and repetitively react  far more negatively then I do to this sort of thing. Just look at some of the review videos to see for yourself...

I don't see any benefit in being an apologist Ubisoft, anyone, or company; the harsh light of reality and honest criticism is the best way to go. Think for a minute of who you reward and who you punish if you soft pedal your criticism, pull your punches, and let you know what slide... Everyone that works hard -- works hard, that doesn't mean they make good games, good products or run a good company, and obviously if their 'hard work' is found worthy they'll make a lot of money.

An outstanding game will sell well regardless of hype and marketing around it or lack there of -- people will discover it and love it; Ghost Recon is a poster child example. By the same token crummy games that are hyped and marketed out the yin yang -- get what they deserve. Ubisoft has thoroughly earned it's bad reputation with PC gamers and deserves wary buyers... 

I'm sure there are a lot of cool things in the game that Ubisoft has given a lot of time and attention like those Rocky describes, and perhaps some that Ubisoft isn't even talking about at this time -- but the enemy AI does not appear to be one of them, it looks rough at best and out right crude in more instances then should be seen in a 2017 game. Similarly there are a lot of rough edges and things that look like they were done as an afterthought -- this can betray that there is a lot more of a game that will have an unfinished quality, especially if its an Ubisoft game...

I hope it's a great game, I have no ill will toward Ubisoft, neither do I trust this company to produce good games, soon enough we'll know how well it stands up...

I look forward to jumping into this game with a few ppl, allocating leadership to one player for a mission then swapping, trying silent or going loud and see what happens. It's not tactical realism as such, but I can go as tactical as I want to in this. Personally, I won't chopper my way to within 200m of an objective where others might, and I probably won't use drone much. But whatever way it's done, it will be a blast. 

Do you guys connect on Steam or have another way of connecting. I need some like minded individuals if I'm going to try this game out. :)

• Like 4