Jump to content

Pc gaming has changed horribly


squad_e
 Share

Recommended Posts

Now, what is it with the the Download only purchasing style of new pc games, look at battlefield 1, that's download only, look at wildlands, download only, look at titan fall 2, that's download only too. now these games that are download only are at least 40 gb download. some people don't  have the facility or time to wait. 

Sorry just a short rant, I was ready to buy battlefield 1, I just don't have the facility to download a huge size , that would probably be a corrupt connection that would time me out.

What are your views on the new download only system?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are they really all download only? Obviously for a mplayer game, the buyer requires a net connection so a download option makes sense, but it should be an option surely - for the reason you stated?

Are they really digital only? Wildlands isn't so not sure why you listed it...?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do we have any idea yet how big (in gigabytes) the game is going to be? IIRC, the average game download size on Steam has recently surpassed 15GB, and some AAA games like CoD, Battelfield, etc. already weigh in at well over 30GB, with extremes like Star Citizen crossing the 100GB mark. I mean, a standard Blue-Ray Disk holds up 25GB and many new games are easily above that size, so at some point it may even become unfeasible for games to ship on physical media anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ApexMods said:

Do we have any idea yet how big (in gigabytes) the game is going to be? IIRC, the average game download size on Steam has recently surpassed 15GB, and some AAA games like CoD, Battelfield, etc. already weigh in at well over 30GB, with extremes like Star Citizen crossing the 100GB mark. I mean, a standard Blue-Ray Disk holds up 25GB and many new games are easily above that size, so at some point it may even become unfeasible for games to ship on physical media anymore.

You can fit more than one DVD in a case :)

Of course it's not only internet connection speed that might be an issue for  gamers facing huge downloads - its data caps!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

We were probably saying the same thing 15 years ago when games started crossing the 1gb mark. 

Fact of the matter is, technology is changing fast in some areas but others are struggling to keep up. eventually 100gb games wont even be an issue. 

Game devs are striving to add more and more content with higher quality to their games. unfortunately that means more hard disk space is required.

 

With the rise of solid state storage, i wouldnt be surprised if, in 15 years time people start exploring cartridge/flash storage based games as a viable alternative to CDs/DVDs/blu rays

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pray that data caps, upload throttling, port blocking, and other censorship will be the downfall of those greedy ###### providers soon. While I hate Google with a passion, at least their fibre ambitions put some pressure on the local cable warlords. The wave of TV cord cutting sweeping across the world right now is another promising sign that times are changing for the "media tycoons", the robber barons of the information age. If it was up to me, I'd send all those monopoly-maintaining ###### and their cronies in legislature off to life in prison for their anti-competitive business practices.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/02/2017 at 22:20, NightCrawler said:

That's where I got mine in Dec. 

 

But on steam it's digital only! So if you need a set of DVD's you'll still want to hit up a store or Amazon.

Discs are cool if your a collector.  But steam has had me hooked , keeps your games nicely organised when a disc and key can go missing 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2017 at 19:13, NightCrawler said:

I'm finally on board with that. Though it took me a few years to wrap my head around it.

I'm also into VUDU these days for the same reasons as you stated above.

I'm just starting to wrap my head around it now lolz. I signed up for Steam and Uplay in the last two weeks. The appeal of not losing discs/scratching them...losing keys etc.

Still will buy the disc in-store whenever I can though....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2016 at 12:59, Zeealex said:

With the rise of solid state storage, i wouldnt be surprised if, in 15 years time people start exploring cartridge/flash storage based games as a viable alternative to CDs/DVDs/blu rays

I really hope this turns out not to be the case.  CD/DVD/Cartridge free gaming is the only way to go, besides who wants all that clutter around the house?  

Electronic copies carry an advantage too large to ever consider going back to "the old days".  Solid State hard drives will continue to lower in price, download speeds will continue to increase - it still blows my mind to think I can download a new game straight to my PC whilst never having to leave my house and ready to play within 30 minutes.  Amazing service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cobblers said:

I really hope this turns out not to be the case.  CD/DVD/Cartridge free gaming is the only way to go, besides who wants all that clutter around the house?  

Electronic copies carry an advantage too large to ever consider going back to "the old days".  Solid State hard drives will continue to lower in price, download speeds will continue to increase - it still blows my mind to think I can download a new game straight to my PC whilst never having to leave my house and ready to play within 30 minutes.  Amazing service.

 

I totally disagree with you. Yeah sure electronic copies are more convenient and can possibly take up less space (if youre organized how much space can a CD take up?)

But what about game preservation? What happens when all these game hosting services die? What will happen to all those games you spent money on? I still have PS1 games on disc and almost 20 years later I can still play them how I please. I don't rely on some service to stream me the game. 

And does anyone actually read the Steam User Agreement? Does it not bother anyone that they are giving money to a corporation in exchange for the rights to play a game. You don't own the game, you just pay Steam to let you play it and they have the power to decide whether to keep the game hosted. You the consumer has no power. Also lets not forget about the meme being spread around that if and when Steam gets shut down, Steam DRM will be removed from all users games. Only problem is Steam has never given an official detailed plan in the event their servers go down permanently. And Steam offline is a joke. 

Gamers love to complain how juggernaut companies ruin the industry but fail to grasp that their own retarded consumer choices enable said companies to pull shady tricks. 

 

 

 

Edited by shakealeg1212
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...