Rock, Paper, Shotgun Reviews CoD:IW - Infinite Borefare

ApexMods

[...]The missions of the campaign are submerged in a po-faced and serious half-story – Martian secessionists have decided to come back and murder earth for no other reason than “grr, militarism”. The premise is brainless sci-fi politics with a lower-case ‘p’, a story which can safely be summarised as “Killzone again” and stuffed with dry characters who have nothing interesting to say. The villains are likewise grey and lifeless. Kit Harrington, aka The Uninspiring Actor In Game of Thrones Who Everyone Somehow Thinks Is Great, plays Admiral Kotch, the baddie leader. We know he is the baddie because he has a scar and does kooky villain things like shooting one of his own men to make a point.[...]

[...]However, if CoD campaigns are rollercoasters, designed to be played on-rails, then maybe we ought to judge it based on that expectation. So, is it a good rollercoaster? Well, no. It’s a hugely try-hard rollercoaster that offers no clever pacing or rhythm – just one hundred samey loop-the-loops one after the other.[...]

[...]Infinite Warfare’s story mode is an expensive-looking spectacle without a single idea of its own, mechanically or narratively.[...]

[...]As for how good it looks (and it does look very good) that is no saving grace. I have long believed, along with many others, that we should stop praising the Call of Duties for their production values, since making a game that looks this good does not equate to making a good game – and never has.[...]

[...]The standard for first person shooter plots is now (has always been?) so low that we are satisfied if we get a story which is essentially Marley & Me with a mech instead of a Labrador. This is a plight known to videogames in general but to the FPS in particular: our standards as an industry are depressingly low.[...]

[...]As for Infinite Warfare. Its sin is the same sin that the series has always committed: that of being uninventive. Like I say, we’ll have more detailed thoughts on the multiplayer later – I’ve only played a bit. As far as the campaign is concerned, an incredible amount of hard work and money has gone into it, creating explosive spectacles and heavy gunfights. But that doesn’t stop it from being a hollow chassis, a tin man of a game – shiny, impressive, with absolutely no heart.

Full review here.

Luckily for me someone gifted me the full version with Cod4 remastered and I've only touched that and it is fantastic both SP and MP really well done but a shame they insist on selling it with the infinite warfare garbage.

• Like 2

The sad thing is that older Call of Duty titles (like 1, United Offensive, 2, World at War) used to be better (at least in my humble opinion) - maybe because they took place during World War II and that is more interesting than some strange future scenario? I guess that's true. And now? Now we have this.

• Like 1

I would be very interested (and this goes for BF as well) In: A return to WWII (with a good SP campaign) or Vietnam, what I really think would be an interesting one is Korea 50-53 I think its right up BF's alley so to speak, you can have huge epic battles in SP and MP (Think China coming over the border) plus some SF stuff behind enemy lines, be it with Brit detachment or other, on top of that you can add it 'secret battles' as US engaging soviet and Chinese aircraft, it would be very interesting. 

• Like 1