Wildlands Character Customization - Who Cares?

WILDLANDS-CUSTOMIZATION.jpg

One of the discussion that emerged after E3 was the opportunity to customize the Ghosts in Wildlands. Other than fan made mods, this has never been possible in a Ghost Recon game previously, although it is prevalent in many other games.

To be honest in every RPG or MMO I've tried, I skip past the character customisation options at the start as quickly as I can, it's never interested me what my character looks like, not least because when I'm actually playing the game, I can't see the character anyway.  

The opportunity to customise a Ghost is a little different though, if I'm going to spend some time playing around in gunsmith tweaking the weapons of drug cartel destruction for maximum effect, I'm going to need my Ghost to look the part too.

In the single player experience I'll be requiring to feel attached to my character, and nothing achieves that more than spending an hour or two selecting and tweaking body attributes. 

In co-op, running around in a default character just won't cut it either - I'll be looking badass for my co-op buddies lol.

Anyone else skip past character customisation in other games, but feel like it'll work in Wildlands?

Edited by Rocky

I dont care about Face customization, i skip that or just choose a default/random that seems ok to me, don't have the time or care about how my character looks.

Choosing Female/Male ghost is important to me however, some of my favorite Ghost members in OGR were Female, so i'd love to have the option to choose.

And of course camo/clothes/gun/gear customization is equally important to me, since i like to be immersed and proper uniform/equipment plays a big role in the game for me.

I would also love to have some default "officially" made Ghosts to choose from, 12 or so, with their own bios/personas etc, would be better than just a ghost u make.

Edited by SCAgent
  • Like 1

I like to customize, but i think that's just myself as a modeller and an artist it's sort of a habit to make something and make it your own so to speak. 

if it's like mass effect where i'm going to see the face i create in cutscenes I feel i do it more so, in games like Skyrim i care somewhat less as there's little facial focus in talk scenes and there's no actual cutscenes to care for as much, as it's all pretty much live in real time right in front of you

generally though i don't mind so long as there's at least some customization of gender available, call me a feminista, but if you're going to have customization of a no-name character of some sort you can't overlook one of the biggest things to customize in that character. looking at you, Arma 3...

if its ###### where you play as a specific and important person, in a canonical story line then it makes sense and i don't begrudge it. 

Edited by Zeealex

• 2 weeks later...

Rocky do you even arma? XD since the bootcamp update arma 3 has had readily available character customization via Virtual Arsenal. Mods add extra selections. 

Is this better?

Games that do not support built in character customisation are having this void filled by custom modifications, and even games such as ARMA that eventually included such a feature still have fan created mods adding further customisations (see Project Life for Arma3)

Maaach betterrrr

Life mods are generally frowned upon in the more purist arma community though, they detract from what arma actually is supposed to be, a sandbox shooter, a lot of life is just 9 year olds, stupid youtubers scraping the barrel and a lot of servers and life mods use stolen content. 

one of these mods would be contextually better to use:

RHS
CUP
VSM gear pack
Tryk's multiplay uniforms
and not to sound egotistical but Identizee was made solely for the extra character customization options.  

but i'm just being nitpicky, cause arma's my baby 'n' ###### :P sorry i'll go back into my cave now

Edited by Zeealex
  • Like 2

The "use your face in game" thing has been played out. Vegas 2 even had it. if they want credibility for this title, they need to return to the old days. use a predesignated set of ghosts. he'll attribute up as he completes missions like OGR. Still sitting back to watch peoples reactions after it hits the streets. I've come to realize that, Ubisoft doesn't put out demos anymore.. just videos of in game play which are scripted heavily. 

• Like 1

I'm the complete opposite to you Rocky; if a game lets me have some element of character customisation I will use it, whether I see it all the time or not.  It's for exactly the reasons you describe; feeling attached to the character, making them look the part, and to stand out from the crowd in some small way. I think I've played too many RPGs though!

The CC in a game like Arma is functional, and for my own SP experiences with the game is certainly adequate, but I'd like there to be more options.  And yes Alex, I have got your mod as well as the likes of CUP!

It'll be interesting to see what level of customisation they bring to the game.  I suspect we'll have a similar level to The Division, with a selection of heads, skin colours, eyes, etc. and I'd be surprised if it went as deep as, say, Black Desert Online, whose CC is just immense from what I've seen.  I also suspect that there will be a selection of gear to chose from, occupying various 'slots'.  In fact, I'd be unsurprised if they pretty much imported The Division CC wholesale, including a lot of the clothing options, as you can make your character look like some sort of SF-type already.  

Tim

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else skip past character customisation in other games, but feel like it'll work in Wildlands?

Nope. If by work, you mean work for me, no -- I don't get any kind of vicarious ego gratification out of virtual persona projection and doubt it's even healthy. To me this sort of thing is like turning an aspect of the game into 'Virtual Barbie'. I'd vastly prefer Ubi concentrate its Developer effort on creating more sophisticated, realistic, immersive game design and functional game content, and leave this sort of thing to mod talent that understands what the audience really wants. As this is apparently a done deal, and water under the dam I just hope there's none of the ridiculous cartoon Call Of Moo Moo ugly Liberace crap pitched as 'content' like they've plunked in Siege; it's not just ridiculous looking, tasteless, ugly and unrealistic -- the actual production quality is horrible -- mod talent on these forums have done far more with far less with the original Ghost Recon that was at least on canon.

Just imagine this kind of 'character customization':

maxresdefault.jpg

funnyclown.jpg

Is this what Ghost Recon fans here want? Ask anyone, if they'd trade Siege's rappelling features for more Liberache gun skins -- and I'd bet they'd all say "Hell No!". Granted you aren't giving up the same Developer's time to create crusty gun skins that puts together a sophisticated feature like rappelling -- but the net project budget, and engine resource budget has to go somewhere...

Edited by 101459