Screen flickering with Windows 10...

twcrash

• 1 month later...

Hi, i discover an other odd issue after the "DX9 dll'ss " trick who work perfectly to run GR on windows 10 : when i go to play the originals missions (that i have not do for a long time) i discover that the vehicles , especially tanks run verrryyyyy slowly , even stop ....i.e the " fever claw " mission .After some search , i read some older post speaking of this issue but in an other context (ati radeon graphic card) and related with the v-sync of the card and the refresh frequency of the screen . So , if you experiment this problem , it can be solved by changing the screen resolution to 60 Hz ... it is frustrating to do this way when you can have 120 Hz on screen but ....i have not noticed a change for other games and i dont' know if this frequency is important for other use . I have noticed this problem only on the original mods and missions but thanks for your own return of experiment . :flowers:

You're dealing with a game that in all intents and purposes was built when there were no refresh rates over probably 70 Mhz. I run a monitor that is 1920x1080 @70 Mhz and it is fine. I would assume that is the issue. And a heads up for everyone else who thinks that a 15 yr old game should adapt to new hardware, it ain't gonna happen. You either figure a way it works or you don't play it. We are lucky the game still plays as well as it does. If it was up to Apple nothing would work after a couple OS upgrades. Which are only a 1/3 of that amount of time.

Here is a pretty good article on Refresh Rates that can maybe explain it better than I ever could:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

Edited by twcrash

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Zee, the game finally doesn't have flickering issues.

Hell, it runs even better now than before.

That's because Direct12 in Windows 10 has an improved code base in it for more fluid gaming and less game stuttering if any. back in January, I watched the windows 10 Microsoft conference whereby they introduced officially Windows 10 and afterwards that day or so, Windows 10 test builds were released. But soon and the move has already started, you can stream your games from the PC using your xbox account and stream games from home to your various devices, laptop, tablet, smartphone and even the xbox system in windows 10 has a DVR recording system to record your in game play so it could feasibly, IF implemented correctly, could put FRAPS out of business.

added: during the intoduction conference out of redmond, they had a DX11 game and a DX 12 game running side by side and the DX11 game stuttered and then locked up the system while DX12 ran without ANY stuttering or issues. as for the xbox gaming streaming and DVR features will be improved or added as time goes on. Gaming is my only real concern with Windows 10 anyway.

Edited by Papa6

shakes head.. i give up.. we can never just be happy it runs lmao. Umm if a game doesn't support DX12 I have some news for you. It ain't running any better on DX12 as it did on DX8 or 9.0c

Edited by twcrash
  • Like 1

shakes head.. i give up.. we can never just be happy it runs lmao. Umm if a game doesn't support DX12 I have some news for you. It ain't running any better on DX12 as it did on DX8 or 9.0c

Well actually from my experience now, if you get your game to run, example, GR 2001/2002 with DS and IT need to use that blood effects mod to run without issue. But back to my point, the DirectX12 stack, was a rebuilt and optomized system in Windows 10. unfortunately however, MS has stated it will be a "windows 10 only" thing so no one can install it on an earlier version of windows. But on ym gaming laptop which WAS an 8.1 laptop, I upgraded to the free Windows 10 and can say emphatically DX12 has given me a smooth, clean gaming experience. It has been brought to my attention on other forums that MS is, or has, cut ties with legacy software and hardware. I tried to install Windows 10 on my sons AMD Athlon system from Compaq I bought back in 2004 and the installer stated that system can't install windows 10 due to some feature, I forgot the name, won't run on his system.

But this simply means MS built 10 to do away with legacy hardware and software as noted with GR 2001/2002 because that blood mod is the only work around I know of. 10 is surely a paradox, you get the latest system for gaming but at a cost.

This is gonna be a long one sorry in advance. 

Read below about hardware requirements for DX12. I doubt any Win8.1 based machines had (I use had since now Windows10 machines are being built and sorry to tell you alot of them are recycled Windows 8.1 machines rebranded) DX12 hardware in it. 

It probably has todo with the fact you are learning how to tune your own system better. Not to be mean but you have complained over the last couple months about Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 not running correct, or installing stuff you don't like or nt installing stuff you liked or invading your privacy yadda yadda yadda.

Simple fact is GR does not run any better on DX 12 especially since only 1 or 2 cards support DX12 natively. Also GR doesn't have the built in items that would be needed to take advantage of by a DX12 based card.  

Frame rate is tied to monitor as much as your system.  Example is my monitor is maxed at 70 Mhz. Meaning it will only refresh max 70 FPS before it starts doing what they call "half frames" and I start seeing screen tearing. So I have made it a habit of limited my frame rates to match my monitor and believe it or not, my gaming experience has gotten smoother. When it does half frames you actually get  the next frame showing before the previous frame finishes.

Also using GR as an example. What do I gain playing it in 1920x1080? absolutely nothing except extremely smaller hud icons, command map etc. because the game doesn't make the textures any better for me at that resolution. So I crank them down to something in the 720 range. I could go even lower since I don't think GR is even 480p EDTV anyways. This frees up GPU resources for when I do those 200 Tango Hunts on the laggiest GR maps lol.  I also do this for other games as well. It is amazing the framerates I get when I lower from 1080P to 720P. And the resolution has nothing to do with texture detail I see BTW.

The first thing to understand is that DirectX feature levels aren’t the same thing as DirectX point updates. A point update (DirectX 10.1, DirectX 11.1 / 11.2) is an additional set of standardized capabilities that allow developers to perform certain tasks more efficiently or offer specific capabilities. DirectX 10.1, for example, implemented new standards for visual quality, new shader instructions, and support for cube map arrays. It wasn’t a significant enough update to define an entirely new version of DirectX around it, but it was a large enough step to warrant its own extension.

A DirectX feature level, in contrast, defines the level of support a GPU gives while still supporting the underlying specification. This capability was first introduced in DirectX 11. Microsoft defines a feature level as “a well defined set of GPU functionality. For instance, the 9_1 feature level implements the functionality that was implemented in Microsoft Direct3D 9, which exposes the capabilities of shader models ps_2_x and vs_2_x, while the 11_0 feature level implements the functionality that was implemented in Direct3D 11.” In terms of GR It didn't have Direct3d 11 implemented into it so all those "features" of DX11 won't be used.

The issue has been further confused by claims that Maxwell is the only GPU on the market to support “full” DirectX 12. While it’s true that Maxwell is the only GPU that supports DirectX 12_1, AMD is the only company offering full Tier 3 resource binding and asynchronous shaders for simultaneous graphics and compute. That doesn’t mean AMD or Nvidia is lying — it means that certain features and capabilities of various cards are imperfectly captured by feature levels and that calling one GPU or another “full” DX12 misses this distinction. Intel, for example, offers ROV at the 11_1 feature level — something neither AMD nor Nvidia can match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally, I can tell you that the last Windows 10 update (1511) fixed the problem. No more workarounds, no more third-party DLL's. It just works fine out-of-the box at full framerate (2.7 kFPS in main menu, 200 FPS in game). I had the latest NVIDIA drivers installed too, v359.06.

Best regards,

Ruben P.

• Like 2