Thoughts on having female characters?

In terms of "authenticity", ODAs don't have females in their ranks in real life. At most they have Cultural Support Teams attached.

But Ghost Recon isn't exactly a series based on hardcore authenticity. We've had female operators in the series since day one. Including them would be consistent with Ghost Recon canon.

Besides, it could give missions some variety. Maybe having a female on your team would make communicating with locals easier.

• Like 1

female soldiers have been in the ghosts since 2005 (their timeline)

up until 2008 they were there primarily to test the ability of women on the frontlines as spec ops, we can only then guess,judging from the events of GRAW 2 and endwar that these tests were successful.

other than that, the ghosts dont follow conventional rules, these exemptions include the ability of women to operate on teams, team rainbow and third echelon also didnt have any restrictions.

from my own studies, i've noticed that diversity of gender in a team boosts efficiency and decision making women tend to argue amongst themselves where as men tend to do things alone, or also tend to argue, whereas a male female balance catalyzes compromises and better overall plans.

in a situation like GRW women can easily play a more covert/ intelligence role, the cartel members will be less likely to see a woman as a threat. meaning a woman can get closer, get into places without suspicion and set up. in the case of a woman like Diaz, especially being a good linguist, she could prove more than useful.

what we have to remember, is that GR wasnt meant to be THAT realistic, its a game, more and more women are playing these games, and they're much more likely to play GRW if they are represented.

but the bottom line for me is it should be player choice, a team selection roster with female characters in it, and a character customisation menu, so people can have a male only team, a balanced team or a female only team.

just remember that about 40% of CIA field agents are female.

• Like 3

if this game is moddable, if someone were to create an IDF mod, then this would be a no brainer. females are in the ranks of the IDF and they are some pretty tuff lasses.

edited due to a misspelling

Edited by Papa6
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but what would the IDF be doing in Boliv-- BLAM!

Well, same with OGR. I have the mod in my OGR install. but the fact is, Israel is basically forced to have women in combat to some degree for national security. We tried to force women in special forces here in the US by Obama and the white house and they all failed terribly.

But to appeal to the women gamers, wasn't there a group of female gamers back in the OGR days? why not?

wasnt picking a fight, just making a (somewhat satirical) statement, my tirade comment was also irony. I used to do the whole tirade thing a long time ago, I realised you probably wouldnt get it after I posted it, my apologies for the confusion

Edited by Zeealex

• 2 months later...

Id have to say personally I don't think its gonna matter either way....that said..i think its stupid that any woman would ever wanna be in any combat military position I don't want my daughter no matter how mentally strong or physically strong going to war in any Combat scenario. So to me in reality I would say hell no...in a video game who cares, if were goin for selling more games and if that ability to use a Women Character sells more why wouldn't you do it.

???

• 3 months later...

Its an inclusion which would not affect the game in any significant way so do it for the sake of "inclusion"

Im curious as to whether the 4 campaign characters are locked in for storytelling reasons or if theres several operatives that can be picked...or perhaps there are 4 character slots with codenames that can be filled with characters of the players' choice..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't see why there shouldn't be this option. It's been there since the original Ghost Recon so why not? The only reason I could see it not being a possibility would be if the character we are playing as is defined, as in if we are playing as Scott Mitchell or John Kozak again (I do have a theory though about why we could be playing as Joe Ramierez and AFO Predator, but that's a whole separate thread). 

female soldiers have been in the ghosts since 2005 (their timeline)

up until 2008 they were there primarily to test the ability of women on the frontlines as spec ops, we can only then guess,judging from the events of GRAW 2 and endwar that these tests were successful.

Just a side note, but End War is pretty much non-canon now in the mainline R6/GR/SC/HX (and possibly The Division now) timeline. It's contradicted by too many newer pieces of media, so it shouldn't be considered a factor when speaking of Wildlands' campaign. GRW is supposed to take place 3-4 years from now and that's around when End War takes place anyways.

• Like 1

I'm okay with female Ghosts in Wildlands as an option, especially as an element of character customization.

Also, The Division seems to be a separate franchise not integrated into the video game Clancyverse. GR2 (the GC and PS2 versions, not the better Xbox version) overlapped with SC:CT, Vegas 2 referenced SC, and HAWX references GR from what I understand. TD references none of these. EndWar is basically an alternate universe at this point, though elements of it may or may not be canon since we don't know the point of divergence in the timeline. Then again, TD may be another alt universe, who knows?

I'm okay with female Ghosts in Wildlands as an option, especially as an element of character customization.

Also, The Division seems to be a separate franchise not integrated into the video game Clancyverse. GR2 (the GC and PS2 versions, not the better Xbox version) overlapped with SC:CT, Vegas 2 referenced SC, and HAWX references GR from what I understand. TD references none of these. EndWar is basically an alternate universe at this point, though elements of it may or may not be canon since we don't know the point of divergence in the timeline. Then again, TD may be another alt universe, who knows?

It's very possible The Division is in the mainline TCU, the outbreak is isolated to Manhatten and it's said to take place in 2015-2016, basically present day. Coincidentally, Rainbow Six Siege also takes place in 2015-present day, and the main antagonists are terrorists with biological weapons, and The Division revolves around biological weapons released on Manhatten. I'd say that's a very possible connection. Also Ghost Reocn 2 is part of the mainline Tom Clancy universe correct? What differs between platforms, because I never played GR2.