Why don't Ubi Remaster Ghost Recon?

Ubisoft just announced that the 1999 space epic Homeword has been remastered in HD with extras.

If they can remaster a game that is older than Ghost Recon, is it feasible to remaster Ghost Recon? The original team are scattered to the corners of the game development universe, was the same true for Homeworld? I don't know.

Maybe they realise if a remastered Ghost Recon was released with all its fantastic features intact plus hi-res textures and extended view distances then they would be putting a dent in the prospects of the next Ghost Recon title....

Here''s the press release, note the bit about a passionate community....

London, UK - April 17, 2015 — Today, Ubisoft and Gearbox Software® announced that Homeworld Remastered Collection for Windows PC will be available for sale as a boxed retail version on May 8, 2015, exclusively at GAME in the UK.

With the guidance of the original creators and the support of a passionate community, Ubisoft and Gearbox Software deliver one of the most iconic real-time strategy games to modern players, while preserving the spirit of the beloved 1999 and 2003 originals.

Previously only available via digital distribution, the retail collection includes Homeworld and Homeworld 2, which has been painstakingly remastered by Gearbox Software with high-res textures and models, new graphical effects, 4K resolution support and more in cooperation with key members of the original development team.

As a free bonus, Homeworld Remastered Collection also includes the original versions of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 with compatibility updates, preserving the purest form of the original releases. Anyone who purchases Homeworld Remastered Collection will also receive free access to the Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta.

The retail version of Homeworld Remastered Collection also includes additional bonus items, including digital versions of the Homeworld Remastered Soundtrack and Homeworld 2 Remastered Soundtrack, plus a digital art book.

For more information, please visit http://www.homeworldremastered.com/.

• Like 4

because they think future soldier was close enough to a remaster...

while the franchise's heart is still beating, albeit weakly, they'll still pump out games that get further and further from the true game, there's no need in their eyes to go back...

you only have to look at r6 seige to realise how far away they'll take the series, its now a SWAT hostage rescue game.

• Like 1

I think they are more they want to put their efforts where they will get most ££/$$ at the end of the day. And if they remastered it I think the genunine tactical shooter is still a niche market and to their eyes not worth of any financial gain to the effort required. Also Ubi won't remaster it, they'll 're-imagine' which is short hand for perks, kill streaks and pretty much destroying the game we all remembers name ala Rainbow Six Siege.

Cynical I know but.....its Ubisoft.

Oh boy, I'll definitely have to take some time to gather my thoughts on this before replying in more detail, but to sum up my expectations for Ubisoft to do something... anything... nice... or even just right, for once... are... how shall I put this... severely limited, to say the least.

Their ongoing franchise butchering just doesn't inspire much hope, and by now I'm convinced that they're not only unwilling but incapable.

• Like 1

nah, if it was going to be recreated, I'd have to request unreal 4, it's an AMAZING engine, very versatile, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look of source 2, but unreal engine 4 is fantastic, and its free now too.

I would love to help out in a complete recreation project for Ghost Recon, it was the reason behind the concept art request, I wanted to make updated models that would look good on a modern engine.

• Like 5

I will take care of sounds and tunes if we had a group, and the money...and the machine.

Is there no way of contacting former people that were involved in GR? If I was a millionaire, I would invest money in a revamped GR for sure.

I think that's what Ground Branch is truly attempting to do using the UnReal4 Engine. The devs has stated small to medium size maps with G.R. like realism is the goal... thus bridging the gap between entertainment shooters like COD and large scale battles like ARMA 3.

However, a remade Ghost Recon in UnReal4 would be excellent. Many older titles have been remade. A pure GR remake would be EPIC!

I think that's what Ground Branch is truly attempting to do using the UnReal4 Engine. The devs has stated small to medium size maps with G.R. like realism is the goal... thus bridging the gap between entertainment shooters like COD and large scale battles like ARMA 3.

However, a remade Ghost Recon in UnReal4 would be excellent. Many older titles have been remade. A pure GR remake would be EPIC!

Sorry but why do people always assume that you have to play Arma III as a large scale battle ? We have 6 members of 9MS playing arma like GR, Small scripted missions with 2 -4 objectives set in a usabe area of the map. Objectives are anything from - Destroying a downed Air craft and rescue the crew to Sabotaging a power station to kill the power in a town, then infiltrating the town to capture an individual. and there is even a Stealth objective, which if you fail there are consequence's just like in GR.

https://youtu.be/np-PrvNeufw

This was made when it was till in Beta, so there are a few bugs with sound and so on, But it shows the GR like potential of the game.

There is a hell of a lot of stuff in Arma, But the beauty of it is, You can use as little or as much as you want, Your not forced to use it all.

Edited by Hammer

Right Hammer, I agree with you... this is exactly my philosophy of use for ARMA, small teams with a number of tasks, I'm just quoting the developers video and their stated goals.

Edited by Burner

Ground Branch will be a re-mastered version of Ghost Recon! :)

I know you are joking so I won't go into the long list of features GR has that GB won't. :)

I agree this Ground Branch is more like rainbow NOT GR and UBI dosnt need to redo GR its OK the way it is just need NEW Missions

• 4 months later...