New Spawn Locations in a FireFight

Hi all:

Okay, here's another one for you: in a firefight, the absolute worse thing is having to run all the way back to where you were killed at. Is there a way to make the spawn sight move as the fight moves away from the original spawn zone to keep you closer to the fight? I know this is possible in missions, but how would it be handled in a firefight?

Thanks;

AB_Lt_Cmd_Riker

The absolute worst thing in a firefight is getting killed at all, closely followed by the second worst thing... respawning. Come on, Riker, I thought you were old school?!? There's no respawning in an honest Ghost Recon game!

Relax, I'm just messing with you, mate. Just glad to see you around again. ;)

Ok, for what it's worth - yes, in theory there is a solution to move spawn locations in firefights and other GTFs... in a way. I'm saying "in a way", because I don't think the actual zone where the respawn happens can be altered, but you could set up a teleport call in a respawn trigger block to transport the respawned player to another location. There's a huge caveat, though (I'll explain later).

The real trick is to determine where the player died and mark that place as the current teleport destination, e.g. by instantly teleporting an invisible dummy actor to the place where the player is killed in an Actor Killed trigger block, and then use that dummy as the target for the subsequent teleport of the respawnee. As long as we're talking about only one player to keep track on, this is still quiet easy, but it gets more difficult if you want every player to be able to respawn where they died last.

For that, you'd probably have to assign a separate dummy actor, kill trigger, dummy actor teleport call, and player respawn teleport call for each player, to be able to keep track of the different kill/respawn locations (there may be a way to handle this via loop responses, but I doubt it would make this any less complex). In a standard MP COOP firefight/GTF this means 9 separate dummy actors to teleport to each individual player whenever they get killed. You'd also have to assign separate actor variables to all players upon launch and after every individual death to be able to query who is who at all times.

There's a huge drawback to the whole teleport-after-respawn idea, though. Ghost Recon doesn't handle teleporting outside of pre-action script blocks very well, i.e. if you teleport an individual actor across different map "rooms" (separate 3D model areas) after the game has already started, they may end up being "out of bounds". This means while they may be able to shoot others, they may be impossible to get hit themselves, or vice versa. The room crossing may not be a problem at all on some maps, but it will certainly rear its ugly head on others.

The only way to work around this issue is the "Teleport Platoon to Zone" script function, but as the name suggests this only works on complete platoons, so players in a team (all players in SP/COOP) would be teleported together. Furthermore, it only works with predefined zones, so you'd only be able to use zones that can be queried in a GTF (Base 0-3, Central Area, Recon In, Recon Out), and you would always have to loop for the one zone closest to the dead player and then teleport the entire player platoon there.

I hope this explanation made sense. I'm a bit overworked and tired and could probably describe everything better and in more detail some other time, but maybe there's enough information to give you a rough idea.

• Like 1

Apex:

How the h$ll are you? It has been WAY too long...I see what you are saying. Here is what I thought could POSSIBLY be done(?):

In a mission, I simply set up a zone on the map (Ex: Zone: Respawn 01). When a member of the Player Platoon (set as an Actor Ref in the script as "Player Actor") reaches the zone it triggers a "Respawn Group":

GROUP: RESPAWN

Allow this block to be reactivated

Continue executing responses if (Player Actor is active)

Continue executing responses if (Player Actor is a valid reference)

Teleport Player Actor to Zone: Respawn 01

Now, here's my thinking for a Firefight:

Instead of setting up a new zone along a map, which would be pretty much impossible as every map has different settings and rooms where, as you said, the player actor could possibly be "warped" out of the action all together.

Could you simply use one of the 35 "points" on a map that are setup as spawn locations for enemy AIs as the respawn location? Now granted, the big issue with this would be you possibly respawning into the middle of a large number of bad guys, but my thinking is that this would POSSIBLY be avoided, depending on the map and the TIME that the respawn actually happens (my thinking is that not all of the 35 points are used every minute of a firefight to spawn new enemy AIs).

So, when a player is killed, the Group: Respawn would take place and would simply respawn the Player actor to the nearest "point" where he/she was killed...Does this sound too stupid or impractical???

AB_Lt_Cmd_Riker

• Like 1

Sadly there is no way to query map points 0-35 in a map-independent GTF script, only Base 0-3, Central Area, Recon In, and Recon Out are available for use, so you either have to make do with those zones, or use dummy actors (which cannot be referred to as zones) teleported to each KIA every time. But remember that only "Teleport Platoon to Zone" (teleporting all players at once to one of the zones listed above) will yield reliable results when it comes to avoiding the out-of-bounds "parallel dimension" thing.