High Speed skin mod release!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i know im late, but here are the screens! i took these using Heroes Unleashed, shout out to apex!

Screen_Shot3.png
Screen_Shot4.png
Screen_Shot11.png
i may end up changing it again. i couldn't get the multicam right and i like the desert tri color better anyway. im still unhappy with the torsos as well, the vanilla vests/rigs weren't realistic for 2008 but there isn't a sufficient model for the modern vests. i may just go back to the originals. not sure.
Edited by shakealeg1212
  • Like 2

Could you use an image host that doesnt spam me with fullscreen "YOUR PHONE IS IN DANGER" adverts after half a second?

Deviant art is a decent image host.

Otherwise, thanks for posting some images :)

I might be able to help you out with the multicam and vests

Edited by Zeealex

• 8 months later...

I still have no idea how I want the ghosts to look. 

The original look with the bdus satisfys my nostalgia. Growing up pre 9/11 that's what the military wore and one of my favorite things about gr was that I could play a game that reflected the modern military the way I saw them. 

However that look isn't entirely accurate. I'm sure when rse did their research at fort Bragg during development that is what the special forces were wearing. But when special forces actually is fighting a war their appearance is given a lot of freedom. they wouldn't look so prim and proper fighting Russians in the woodlands. 

weapons are another issue. Most weapons made for gr reflect weapons that are used 2008 and onwards. The ghosts with their 1990s gear wouldn't look right with m4s and eotechs. 

With high speed I tried to give the ghosts a current operator look while keeping bdus for nostalgia and to fit in with their appearance freedoms. Of course the problem is character files all reflect a late 90s military so there is really no option to deviate from that look. 

Theres the heroes unleashed approach where acus are used for the wild range of map enviorments. Which I think was the best approach but of course the draw back is still the character models. 

Then theres eskwaads models which are beautiful. But can't be taken from centcom and they are difficult to retexture. But nonetheless they cover all the bases. 

Ugh. 

Alrighty, currently unable to do a lot as I'm waiting on replacement parts for the PC. But I'll go away and research in the meantime.

They'll get a full high/low workflow and an ID map, so you'll be able to texture them fairly easily. 

Any preference on poly count? I'll try and stay under 3k unless otherwise specified

I'm not expecting anything crazy. I guess a basic gr male chr. The torso modeled after the vests you sent me when I was working on high speed, models for pouches, camelback, etc. maybe some kneepads here and there. Bald head as I'll add attachments. Unbloused boots too. 

I I still have the vests if you need them. If this is too much let me know 

I think the skins look great, but there's room for improvement while satisfying that semi-retro urge you seem to have.

The jungle and woodland skins would match up better with Olive Drab Green vests. Before the the US went to the sandbox, green was the new black; now it's Coyote Brown and Flat Dark Earth. Of course, brown is in more environments than green, which is why it's more prevalent nowadays, but ODG is still in a sweet spot between modern and retro. 

You mentioned you're considering DCU for desert. I'd go for it, it fits in with the theme of the mod better than MultiCam. 

The skull balaclavas seem a little much, and that's my biggest gripe with this mod. I haven't seen any SOF/LE wear them aside from some Brazilian guys.

EDIT:

Also, the mags sticking out (I think that's what they are) don't mesh well with the way the models flex at all.

Edited by TJbrena

thanks for the feedback! 

i added the masks to give the ghosts a unique appearance. since they are a fictional unit i had some creative leeway. 

yeah the mags/vests are the biggest issue. no chr model in gr is shaped so that a modern plate carrier would look right. i basically took a pouchless pagst vest and put it on the chrs then skinned a plate carrier on top of it. thats why it looks wrong. 

i wasn't aware OD was still prevalent pre 9/11, that could work, any sources? 

and zee i may drop the plate carrier idea and use your blackhawk vests from novo. still undecided. im a pain i know.

Edited by shakealeg1212

The skull balaclavas don't have to disappear entirely. They could become regular balaclavas, and the skulls added to some of the helmets as decals added by the Ghosts themselves.

As for the ODG, it's not that it's retro so much as it feels retro. It's more an interim between the modern FDE-type colors adopted to suit the sandbox and the M81 Woodland-patterned PASGT/Ranger Body Armor/early OTV vests. Though the more woodland-friendly coloration harks back to the pre-9/11 expectations of wars, ODG vests and gear are still widely available; most vests on the market available in FDE/Coyote Brown are also available in ODG (as well as gray and black). I'm not aware of any modern plate carriers in M81 Woodland. Most vests are either a solid color or MultiCam (and sometimes other patterns like A-TACS or MARPAT) it seems.

ODG seems to me to be a good compromise between patterns only used on obsolete protective gear and coloration used today, while still looking better with Woodland/DCU/Tigerstripe than FDE would.