Few Questions

kothen

Hey everyone, First post. Sorry if I am asking in the wrong section but I had a couple of questions.

I was interested in purchasing the 9 disc collection set for ghost recon. But I noticed all the mods are available on this websites. Is there a benefit to purchasing the collection or is it more of just a collectors items?

Secondly. I was browsing the forums and clicked the Heros Unleashed topic and was given a malware warning from chrome. Is this a known issue or is this sight not secure?

Welcome to gr.net.

Purchasing the disc set has some advantages. Lord forbid the site is discontinued all those mods collected on the disc set will be very hard to obtain and it helps support the site. The disc set also includes mods not only for Ghost Recon but GRAW and GRAW2.

I can't answer to the second question as I use FireFox. Rocky might reply to that issue better.

The 9 disk collection contains mods that were unreleased, and some mod's download links can be broken as the sites they were hosted on shut down having the collection means you pretty much have every ghost recon 1 mod EVER.

I believe the planetsmilies malware report is due to an advert on the page, so long as you do not click that advert, you should be safe, i've been on that thread several times and not picked up any malware to speak of :)

Hi, good questions!

The DVDs are the ultimate collection of all GR mods. They are provided for people that like the convenience of the DVDs but yes, almost, all of the mods on those DVDs is available in the downloads section for free. So if you have a fast enough internet connection, you can certainly download them all for free, be my quest.

Wombat is also right about the mod availability here, most people don't realise, but I pay for two separate download servers to host these mods. I almost shut one of them down last week, but when I went to do so, discovered they had lowered the monthly fee, so I kept it going lol. But one day, I may pull the plug on those servers.

But the same applies to the DVDs, those things don't burn themselves and it can get a bit monotonous, but if it keeps GR alive, I'll keep sending them out, for now.

My advice to anyone thinking about getting the DVDs, get them now.

That warning you mention is actually an image in someone's signature is hosted on a website that Google has marked as suspicious. I'll go and see if I can fix that now, thanks for the info.

EDIT

Yeh that virus warning is for any images coming from the planetsmilies domain that are in posts here. I am not sure if this is a malicious injection, or if some members have innocently use these smilies.

I have removed it from the page you mentioned, so feel safe to browse.

Cool. I try not to oversell these things because there's always somebody waiting to jump on you, but really, the quality of stuff in this collection is remarkable, and there is so much of it not even I have managed to play through it all, in fact if I had a bucket list, it would be on it to complete EVERY one of the custom expansion packs and enjoy all the new maps and all the new clever scripting that modders have managed to figure out.

And that gentlemen was the longest sentence you'll read today. :fingersx:

• 2 months later...

I really need to get this collection. I've been saying this for years, but now that I am no longer working two jobs I may be able to fire GR up on my new computer and this would save me time on downloading Frostbite!

*Adds to "to-do" list*