Ghost Recon.net Forums

To me it seems that there are a lot of individuals still lurking around and enjoying modding this decade old video game. The purpose of this thread is to just see who might be interested in having a set of tutorials specifically made for Ghost Recon. Focusing on setting up kits, textures, user interfaces, sounds, models and scripting. Tutorials covering the software it takes to create these types of mods and ways to aquire their own material to create their own works of art.

The game itself still runs very well on newer machines and in theory has a lot of potential left in it.

Now the big question...

Is anyone interested in this?

Yeah I'm trying to learn to get some specific and personal goals achieved in terms of mods and longevity. I did the same with photoshop and now I'm pretty good at getting done what I need done in that program.

The biggest things I think GR lacks is recoil when firing, the screen is too smooth while running, like the player is on skates... That needs fixing. Maybe a little better at utilizing the injured enemy, like it seems like almost always if you hit someone solid, they just fall like a sack of potatoes... Maybe that's stretching the capabilities of this game though.

The big thing I've been wanting to do is create a small platoon of 9 or so custom soldiers on rotation. I'm thinking its gonna have to be editing the heroes and getting a way to have all of them available at the beginning of all the campaigns...

I'd definitely be interested in helping sustain this game and contributing in whatever way I could to make it more realistic, so I'm all for learning and going through some tutorials.

The biggest things I think GR lacks is recoil when firing, the screen is too smooth while running, like the player is on skates... That needs fixing. Maybe a little better at utilizing the injured enemy, like it seems like almost always if you hit someone solid, they just fall like a sack of potatoes... Maybe that's stretching the capabilities of this game though.

All of those things would be nice, but as you said, it's beyond the capabilities of Ghost Recon. Every one of those things is hardcoded and can't be edited until the developers release the source code. Since it's been twelve years and we still haven't gotten it, we probably will never see that happen.

Maybe I'm dreaming this but seems like ApexMods had some contact with RSE about permissions to do with Heroes Unleashed. If it's true then at least RSE is not totally unapproachable. If anyone submits a GR modding text tutorial maybe it could be added to the Recon section here.

I'm interested if anyone has actually contacted them to ask specifically for the source code or what it would take to get it? Some experienced modder may have more pull than someone with no knowledge of what to do with I even if he got it (like me)...

What about contacting apexmods about his experience and see if he would be interested in the request.

If the mod community could get their hands on that source code, the possibilities would be amazing.

Plenty of modders have tried this in the past. It would be more trouble than its worth anyway, since there are less than a hundred active ghostrecon players.

Not trying to be a pessimist but trust me it isn't going to happen. Apex's request had nothing to do with source code anyway.

You might be right about that Riley. I can't imagine UBI publishing OGR again. Atleast not for a long time. When people want vintage game collections lol.

None the less, let the mods continue! :)

That would be a good tutorial. Might elaborate when it is and isn't necessary to use the Sound Volume Editor to reconcile

sound files.

Maybe another one for first timers showing how to set up a mod folder containing a ModsCont.txt.

What the various folders contain in a mod. How to uncheck read only properties if files are copied over from original game folders.

How to batch copy files. How to use the search function at gr.net and point them at the gr.net Recon section for modding GR.

Just an idea.

Great minds think alike. It would only make since to start from the beginning as well. I came up with this

1. Preparing your system (windows and UAC)

2. Mod Folders / modcont.txt

3. Mod Tools (IT extras, pdf files, and gr.net mod tools)

4. Setting Up Plugins (photoshop)

5. Setting Up Plugins (3dsm5)

Since you tube is public domain ill try to point people here if they have any questions. Who knows what happens from there?

I have 6 videos finished now but lightning fried a cable box or something so I have no internet except on my cheap phone. Which is no good at uploading to you tube. :( its okay though ill upload as soon as possible.

Here is what they are about.

-creating a new mod folder / modcont.txt

-disabling user account control

-where to find the extras

-How to install the rsb plugin into photoshop cs6

-changing the main menu pictures

-Using a virtual machine to run 3dsm5

and more to come soon.

Is this for WinXP? I go to the same location in Win7 to turn user control off and it is a different interface than what is shown in the video. In Win7 It is a slider instead of unchecking or checking a box.
What are the problems if a person doesn't turn this off. Might add to the description the benefits of doing this or elaborate on the problems. I like that you don't have a 20 or 30 second intro like a lot of tutorials on YouTube.

Good speaking voice and easy to follow the instructions too.

At first I did have allot of trouble modding GR with Win7, mainly permissions. I got that sorted but it took my pea brain awhile to get it done. Tinker mentioned awhile back in Win7 if GR is installed under an Administrator account it may be better as far as permissions and everything is in one location. Nothing is written to the AppData folder like .xml's, saves etc.

Went to your channel and watched the rest of the GR tutorials. Couldn't resist.

Should make it easier to keep track of and view all being in one playlist.

GJ pz.

I had to upload from my phone, lightning again hoping it strikes the box again and turns something on lol. Dont know why the ISP is being so slow. Not the first time this has happened either.

Couldnt find a way to post the playlist otherwise I would.

Im using Vista x64. UAC mostly interfers with using notepad. It wont allow you to write files into the folder. I tried other apps and the same problem occurs. That is why I recomend turning it completely off. I havent trieDindows 7 or 8. Im guessing they have similare issues as well though.

Thanks for the feedback, ill try to make a few more in the next couple of days. Then Ill be AFK for about 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

It should come up naturally in the video. Ill be focusing on level creation before I touch on mission design. Weapons as well. If I get froggy ill do characters sooner then later.

• 3 weeks later...