Ghost Recon.net Forums

following on from the Snowdrop Video Ubi/Massive have posted a Q&A article

Greetings Division agents!

It’s been a few days since we’ve showed off our Snowdrop engine trailer at VGX. We’ve received a lot of love and
questions from you guys and we want you to know we really appreciate it.

It’s amazing to see that for some of you this is the first true next-gen experience. We picked up some of your most asked questions and
here are our answers. Enjoy!

Read the article here: Community Q&A: Snowdrop

and good news for PC fans:

Q. You said that The Division has been designed with next-gen consoles in mind. How it is going to look on PC?

A. As you know, Massive has its roots in PC development. We are working hard and we want to make sure that we have a very high quality experience on PC.

You can be sure that our PC version won’t be a port, but a full-fledged, optimized version!

We want to create the best game possible regardless of what platform you play on.

and another item worth checking out is an interview with lead game designer & design director, in which Character Gear, Coop, Communication, Trading, Limited ammo & possible vehicle use is also discussed.

"When we start the game, the player's character only has his go-bag with him, right? When it becomes activated, that's the only thing he can
really bring with him. In that go-bag he roughly has 72 hours of supplies, he's got his weapons and his gear, and that's what he starts
with.

"Then when moving throughout the world, it's going to be a lot about looting and acquiring new gear as you progress. We're focusing a lot on
the RPG aspects of the game since we are very much an RPG, so acquiring loot and gearing up your character is going to be a very big part of the
game."

Read an examiner.com article on the interview: 'The Division' interview: Communication, black market, driving, ammo & much more

While some of the harsh comments directed at Ubisoft are well earned, some aimed at this game (at least as of yet) are not. Massive while a 'wholly owned' subsidiary of Ubisoft, was like RSE, an independent Studio that created outstanding IP that included the RTS MassTech Game Engine which was SOTA for it's time, several games with new genre defining features, and, mod support! In fact World In Conflict Modern Warfare is a total conversion for WIC that's still played today and shows just how deep and far the mod support and enthusiasm for Massive's work goes.

As well there's nothing about the third-person perspective that has to obviate tactical realism on PC, the depth, or quality of a game; most RSE games offered third person perspective, all the ArmA games, and it's a mandate for virtually all tactical games and sims used by most of the western world military organizations -- which while this goes beyond the scope of this thread, reinforces point that TPP need not be a deal breaker to the utility, depth or quality of a PC realism game.

That said I like others here am cynical of what appears to be Ubisoft's obsessive top down micro management of development with more managers and administrative personal then developers, budgets that are conspicuously art asset and marketing heavy while being very light on real game design and feature development... While a pessimist by policy I'm an optimist by temperament with hope Massive will get the resources, and management hands-off time to deliver the goods. Most of us have been very favorably impressed with Sverige Developers and what they've deliver -- fingers crossed this one isn't a stinker on the PC...

Edit: And why would ANYONE regard it as bad if art assets like animations, textures, sounds, models or ANYTHING for that matter was borrowed from a previous game or games?! One of the largest problems confronting GOOD game design is the cost of constantly turning out new art assets (and

) at the expense of actual game design and playable features. I'm GLAD to see Massive leverage this approach, and hope it's an indication that more will be offered in the game in the way of sandbox game features, maps, missions, and with any luck mod support....

I correct you there that ARMA 3 can play in first or 3rd person perspective as i play it everyday...not sure about previous ARMA series.

3rd person perspective is for the console fans and def not the keyboard and mouse groups of which i am one, amonst millions i bet !

Every game made should have the option to choose which you you want or at least make it zoomable so as you can play in 1st person perspective as with ARMA 3.

I correct you there that ARMA 3 can play in first or 3rd person perspective as i play it everyday...not sure about previous ARMA series.

Correct what? All the BI games have always offered third person perspective: Operation Flashpoint, ArmA 1, 2, 3 and all expansions, VBS 1, 2 and the newest version still in production -- all offer 3rd person perspective. The only way that 3rd person perspective in ArmA games can be obviated is on servers and mods that disable it...

• 3 months later...

While Watchnogs is in the lime light it's actually another The Division video that was out from GDC 2014 that got me the most excited I've been about an Ubisoft Clancy game in a long time:

http://youtu.be/_F-hwyu9bcU

I've always liked the approach Sverige Developers have taken to realism games: GRIN, Overkill, Starbreeze, and especially Massive; with it's commitment to excellent mod support and community interaction re. its RTS titles.

If you folks recall at one time an Ubisoft spokes person said that mod support would see a return in some future Clancy game, and if you look at the polish on the tools presented in this video, the 'Lego' reference to how snap in finished they are, it's hard to fathom this isn't smart marketing.

The Snowdrop engine isn't just drop dead gorgeous the tools look fantastic; can you features the excitemnt a commercial Clancy realism title with friendly SOTA tools like those depicted here and all these gorgeous assets to play with would generate?

• 11 months later...

And then not a word on this game for almost a year on these forums...

I really like the look of The Division, but can not help but feel I will be left unsatisfied - though I pray this isn't the case.

Really desperate for a game to play that I can sink a few years into and just hoping this could be what I am after.

Not holding my breathe.

Although they do make fun games, seems ubisoft are getting stuck in a copy and paste open world go do tedious objectives cycle, I was playing through far cry 4 the other day and just began to find it rather uninspiring. I do hold out hope for the division, but then again I trust ubisoft these days as far as I can spit....

To me, their recent games are void of any soul. I never get the impression that there were any developers at work who really poured their blood, sweat, and tears into the project, who unconditionally stood behind what they built. Nowadays, Ubisoft games truly feel like they're put together on the assembly line, by line workers completely out of touch with their product and simply going through the motions of somehow throwing together whatever parts are handed to them.

I don't recall now whether it was Prozac or Parabellum who some time ago befittingly compared Ubisoft's current development process to a sweatshop of mindless drones doing their corporate masters' biddings, with the only discernible objective being to maximize short term profit. Indeed, as Alex pointed out before, most Ubisoft games of late only sell in significant numbers right after release, are played for a very short while and before long fade into well-deserved obscurity to die the unsurprisingly early death of short-lived mediocrity.

Admittedly, among big game publishers Ubisoft is certainly not alone with this despicable product policy. I just wished someone up there in one of those corner offices would somehow recall how much fun honest game development can be, and - more importantly - how much joy a well thought out and properly developed game can bring to players, which in turn might even end up becoming loyal fans and long term customers, but alas...

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...