Using other games sound files for modding weapons

ExT

Ok, I'm new in this community, this is my firts post and by the way I'm new at english too, so please forgive my grammar.

Having said that, I'll go straight to the question:

Can I use other games weapons sfx files (other than ghost recon franchise) to make new weapon sound effects for ghost recon?

I'm asking this because I was mixing a ton of sounds and will love to make my mod public. I don't know where is the crossing line about this topic so if any kind sir can answer me I will appreciate it a lot.

thanks.

ExT

Welcome to the forum!

That would violate copyright laws. If it is 100% personal and there is NO chance of it getting to anyone else, I'd say you're okay (even though that, too, might still be illegal) but you will not be able to distribute it and the admins will probably frown upon its mention.

Sorry :)

Edited by RileyFletcher_01

Well, it's a shame; anyway, I will keep it personal. Lot of work inverted so I don't want to just erase it.

Oh, I have other question: what is the difference between using 44khz sound files and 22Khz files?. In the early days of GR many claimed you must use 22Khz ones. I tried with 44Khz and the game runs perfect.

Great work keeping the old ghost recon spirit alive.

what is the difference between using 44khz sound files and 22Khz files?
I think file size mainly.
I did make a sound mod years ago for our team. I had left a good number of files at 44khz and some reported it lagged them badly. Maybe the 44khz sounds were not the culprit but I changed them all to 22khz for orders sake.
In SP I never noticed any ill effects using 44khz weapon sounds.

Sounds clips can be mixed with other sounds as long as it is modified heavily. I heard it was 80%. US Copyright laws state some absurd things aswell like a copy right song can be used in a mix but can not excede 30 seconds.... Again I don't know the statues by heart on this.

and that was back in 2000 as well.

I would say look up an international law, or just create your own.

Edited by pz3

Thanks everyone for the answers. Well, many of the sounds were heavily modified, others not so much so those clips can be identified as X game sound effect.

Basically I take the shot sfx, some echoes from here, paste them over there, change it's speed, add it 0.xx seconds later and create a new track. Also did a little equalization or low pass filter so it can blend better with the in-game enviroment effects.

it's a really nightmare and not a copy paste task, although the original clip sounds awesome when you add it in game it may sound weird: too clear, muffled or not appropiate at x distance. It's a shame GR cannot handle two sounds effects for the same weapon.

I'll do a little research and will try to create my own effects