Saw "Zero Dark Thirty" today. Updated my NV to GPNVG-18.

Doc. Caliban

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great mod, I really like it. And also a nice discovery (those Ground Panoramic Night Vision Goggles - I didn't know about them either).

P.S. A little off-topic question, but I would like to know - is there a mod which makes the Ghosts like this US operative?

FUZr6bf.jpg
Edited by Chudy Picio

Some feedback - the sniper scope reverts back to normal NVG.

Is it realistic to lose the static interference visible in the normal NVG?

Thanks for the positive review! Feel free to post it in the DL section if appropriate.

The sniper scope is a bit tricky for a few reasons:

1. In most cases you would have an NV-capable scope on the rifle and not be using the goggles, In that event the scope mask should look like nothing more than the inside of the scope being in NV and the rest of the screen being black. That's how mine is set up.

2. The game engine forces the NV sniper mask based on the weapon motion type value, which of course also controls other charactaristics of the weapon, so changing it changes other things that you may not want to. (reload sound, etc)

So, I could set the sniper NV mast to be the same as the goggles look, but that would be less realistic. Totally doable though. Personally, I have mine look like you're looking thorugh a scope and have no peripheral vision, so it's just the green NV circle you see through the scope.

As for the "static" the original noise mask, IMO, was created to not make the NV so effective that it's like cheating on night maps. Even when the game was new some 10 years ago, NV intensifiers of the time were very clear. I had a relatively new ANPV 7 with a 3rd gen tube and while it had an almost powder-like softening of the image, and a tiny bit so sparkle, it was so non existent that it would be impossible to duplicate in the game ... anthing at all would be too much. Now it's a decade later and looking at images shot through modern NV equipment looks pretty damn clear. The original mask is like the ancient 1st gen stuff from decades ago. Nothing new looks anything like that anymore and hasn't since a while before the game even came out. So while perfectly clear may not be exact, it's prety close to the way it is these days. The contrast is what is wrong in the game (some enemy's GLOW).

Great mod, I really like it. And also a nice discovery (those Ground Panoramic Night Vision Goggles - I didn't know about them either).

P.S. A little off-topic question, but I would like to know - is there a mod which makes the Ghosts like this US operative?

It could be done by someone who does uniforms and attachemnt modding. And if someone did, we'd have to put the two mods together! That would be awesome.

-Doc

Edited by Doc. Caliban

You are right, the mod is perfect as it is! Great job, it's on the news page now.

Well, not perfect, but close enough. If you wanted the scope mask to look the same, all you'd have to do is save your original NV sniper mask and copy this one to the other file's file name. I think that would work.

I like the narrower vertical view in this mask because it better recreates the restrictive feel of wearing real goggles. You have to pan around a bit to see stuff.

Thanks Rocky and Doc.

This file seems more stable. I didn't fiddle with the sniper nv bcoz I don't want to put a hex on it.

Plus I cleaned up the mod folder and just kept the essentials and the GPNVG-18, entered the GPNVG-18 also in the modsset txt as seen here

Tz07kHB.jpg

Thanks Rocky and Doc.

This file seems more stable. I didn't fiddle with the sniper nv bcoz I don't want to put a hex on it.

Plus I cleaned up the mod folder and just kept the essentials and the GPNVG-18, entered the GPNVG-18 also in the modsset txt as seen here

That shot in the sub pen is a great example; thanks!

Now, for some reason I feel like my car's tires are overinflated .....

Don't think so dude.

Seriously in the dark that guy would look like some crazy cyborg ninja.

It could be done by someone who does uniforms and attachemnt modding. And if someone did, we'd have to put the two mods together! That would be awesome.

-Doc

Oh, I think that you misunderstood me - I meant the uniform, not the soldier with the NVG (but he is also a good idea). Do you know how this type of uniform is called?

Edited by Chudy Picio

Don't think so dude.

Seriously in the dark that guy would look like some crazy cyborg ninja.

-Doc

Oh, I think that you misunderstood me - I meant the uniform, not the soldier with the NVG (but he is also a good idea). Do you know how this type of uniform is called?

I'm NO expert about camos, but I think it's multicam.

/t

I'm NO expert about camos, but I think it's multicam.

/t

You are right - it is MultiCam. But I meant the uniform type, like here:

http://tinyurl.com/as39a3c

(P.S. Sorry for using CoD: MW3 picture as a reference, but I don't know the name of this uniform and it was one of very few places where I have seen it.)

Edited by Chudy Picio

Great mod. Love it how technology progresses and we get more efficient stuff.

I only wonder, should the outer circles not be complete in view and not cut off? I did not see Zero Dark, I guess you made it as it was in the film? In films scope views often tend to be cut (in the top and bottom for instance), so it is not always an accurate representation. Since the NV view in real life can't exceed the human's natural field of view you'd likely see three complete, but overlapping circles, like in the picture:

GPNVG18_10.jpg

But I'm just guessing there.

I downloaded twice and it says the archive is empty :(

Oh man, that's no good! Are you using the download link from the main download page, or the one at the top of this post?

-Doc

Psychomorph, "I only wonder, should the outer circles not be complete in view and not cut

off?"

You are exactly correct. The problem is that, to make the circles all

fit on the screen, they would have to be much smaller and your vertical field

of view would be very. very narrow. So since the game does not directly

support wide screens (it just stretches the image) we end up with the outer

edge of the circles going out of your FOV, but we retain a reasonable vertical

FOV.

I'm glad that you like the mod though! The movie didn't portray the

actual view through the devices, but it was the first time I'd seen them, so I

found the manufacturer's info and created this based, actually, on the image

that you posted … just had to run it off the edges a bit to keep it usable.

-Doc

Edited by Doc. Caliban

The download entry is fine, I just tried it and it unzips fine.

The comments are a hack attempt, I'll sort that out right now.

Thanks, Rocky. I'd seen that and didn't know what to think of it.

I just tried again but its still not working for me :(

I just keep getting this message.

http://postimage.org/image/j2p6cv2ch/full/

Try the attached file in the first post of this thread. (It's at the bottom.)

If that doesn't work, try clearing your browser cache and then try again.

We'll figure it out!

- Doc

Just tried it here and I'm getting the same error as Ricard78, has anyone else tried downloading it again then decompressing it?

It's possible the uploaded file has become corrupt.

Rocky I don't have this file in my archive so I can't re-upload it.