Ghost Recon.net Forums

Any Ideas on Fixing my mucked up Graphic Driver on XP?

Well, i think dad's getting frustrated that i'm monopolizing his laptop for Cryengine Sandbox and UDK (they don't work on linux)

The only reason why i'm using his laptop and not my desktop, is because Windows on the desktop is stuck in 640x480 if i go any higher in resolution something like this happens:

22681d1253724558-dead-video-card-double-check-me-here-photo-3.jpg

not actually the screen, but it's close to the actual symptom.

I've put it down to the fact that the graphic driver installations were going nuts failing to complete for some unknown reason, leaving me with broken graphic drivers, so the CCC kindly tells me on startup :P

anyhow, i don't want to do a full reboot of windows, as that would leave me having to use a disk drive to start ubuntu up which would drive me nuts as it's the loudest disk drive on the planet :P

how would I go about clearing the graphic drivers and re-installing the disk based one? (which worked fine before I tried updating the driver)

I have ubuntu handy on the desktop to delete windows files and actually see what i'm doing, if it comes down to manually removing the drivers, only hole there is removing the registry entries.

The graphic card is an AMD/ATi Radeon HD4550 and it's running on windows XP Service Pack 3.

I was debating whether to put windows 7 on the desktop but the 64 bit disk doesn't work and the 32 bit disk is already active and it would still leave the bootloader problem.

any ideas of what to do?

thanks for any help

It's been a couple of years since I have done anything like that but If I remember rightly. If you put your Graphic card disk in and click to install the driver then it will either ask if you want to remove the driver on the machine or uninstall them automatically. Put the graphics driver disk in anyway and click the drivers and you will have the option of yes or no to the install.

Hope it helps.

Franglen

Just a point to remember though Alex......... The disk will only install the original drivers that came with the computer. So if you want updates you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole of downloading them again.

I have never updated any graphics drivers on any of the computers I have had and my games etc have always run perfectly.

The advice I have received is if it ain't broke.............don't fix it.

And as far as Graphics drivers are concerned............. if your games are running well......then leave well enough alone.

I gaurantee there will be quite a few that disagree with this but if they check out the IT sites and even some gaming sites they will find that even they advise not to upgrade your drivers unless absolutely necessary.

Bless ya

Franglen

Just a point to remember though Alex......... The disk will only install the original drivers that came with the computer. So if you want updates you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole of downloading them again.

And as far as Graphics drivers are concerned............. if your games are running well......then leave well enough alone.

The graphic drivers on the disk worked fine, there was no real issue, but i had to update them to run GR:O without it moaning at me or bluescreening the PC.

it's something i've always hated about windows among the many things, is updating the drivers is a pain in the backside! on linux you just press okay on the update manager, and re-activate the driver when it's done and voila! it's updated.

i'm sure windows 7 is a little more user friendly when it comes to driver updates probably does it among the many other automatic updates it has.

Windows will automatically update for you. But the Graphics drivers do not come from Microsoft. They are from NVIDIA or ATI Catalyst.

You can set your graphics drivers to update automatically ex these 2 but you would most probably be back to where you are now.

I have my XP Pro laptop set to automatically update from Microsoft but I set it to view and choose what they are attempting to install.

Anyway....All the best.

Franglen

Windows will automatically update for you. But the Graphics drivers do not come from Microsoft. They are from NVIDIA or ATI Catalyst.

right I want to stop here a minute, I don't mean to sound horrible, or as if I'm 'showboating' or whatever. and I know you are only trying to help, but i think I need to lay this down and nip it in the bud now, before I go any further, as I am starting to get a little concerned.

A lot of people, both men and women, are surprised to find i know a fair bit (not everything) about the computer system, certainly my own.

Drivers are something I know about, like I said, not everything, but I have installed, and updated graphic drivers for intel's sorry excuse for graphic chipsets, AMD Radeon Cards and Nvidia GeForce Cards, as I have used all three somewhere along the line and somewhere they have needed an update to run some sort of application. and all of the times I've updated (except this update) they have been successful.

It may not have been intentional, and I appreciate any help I get, but, no offence, the quoted comment seemed a little condescending. If I thought driver updates came from microsoft, surely I would not have mentioned that I downloaded and attempted to update the driver (not a driver) but it fails to complete for an unknown reason (AKA installer hangs/quits with no error message) if I got the wrong driver, the installer would tell me that the compatible hardware could not be found. the information here is surely implying that the driver I had downloaded was the correct one, no?

moving on, the disk based driver that came with the card is also quitting with no reason. which makes me wonder if the cut is deeper than first thought.

i don't mean this in offence in any way.

Edited by Zeealex

Quote: i'm sure windows 7 is a little more user friendly when it comes to driver updates probably does it among the many other automatic updates it has.

I'm not trying to be nasty either Alex and definitely won't try to help you anymore, and I will definitely not respond to you anymore.

But from your statement above what else am I or anyone else supposed to deduce?

I think your reply was a bit unappreciative.

Goodbye and good luck.

Franglen

IMO your post was a bit harsh here Alex, the posters here are only trying to help plus as this is a public forum so said posts may help others even if you do know most of what's been mentioned.

Apart from that not all members will realise that you have a good understanding of computers.

I didn't mean it harshly in any way, and I wasn't being unnappreciative, and I'm really sorry if it came across that way, by all means delete or edit the post if it's concerning you John, and I'll shall try to start a clean slate with franglen.

I've hardly ever used the windows 7 updates so I wasn't very sure on how well it works

sorry for the problems here.

Edited by Zeealex

aye, admittedly I can come across as a rude stressmonkey, hopefully this can get sorted out ASAP.

I get an error with his PM system, says he can't use it or something like that?

Edited by Zeealex