Ghost Recon.net Forums

The District - Work In Progress.

I Agree 100 % with Fletcher. Also FL, the reason why they also didn't get into all houses on embassy and vilnius as i learned on Ground Branc site was, try to imagine, it would maybe take a few hours to clear ALL the houses for enemies? I understand that, but i agree with you, if they could get into embassy, it would be awsome.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason being is GR can only handle 2 floors on top of one another ( if I remember correctly.) 1st floor 2nd floor and nothing else. The polygons have to be at the exact same height for the 2nd floor as well. So basically its a pain in the butt. I wont be creating the insides of the buildings but some elevated and lower postions are planned.

I've never really liked the idea of being able to enter buildings but it's a good feature to have sometimes, I think with open buildings, you have the problem of camping in multiplayer, you've got to be tactile with how the rooms are set up to eliminate the possibility of it occuring. And it's just too much fuss. Just my opinion, I like the idea of this map anyway, it looks awesome for starters.

How big is the finished piece going to be pz3?

About the campers, in real world people actually camps, especially SFs does that. Of course i can see it will be most like who get's to the top of the high building have already won the game, and then people do everything they can and don't care about the risk.

BTW - It sounds good, but as Fletcher meaned also, i liked if it was mostly enter-buildings. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Edited by teppe

@ zee. 150x150 meters.

@ teppe I once had a Taliban spotter camp for almost 2 days before we found him. in a 7,000 meter area. Promise you all real world camping is way worse then GR camping lol.

pz3, you can have more than 2 shermanlevels in a map. The command map can only show overlays for the second level, but all other aspects of the game work fine with more levels. Also, levels don't need to be at the same height, it just makes it easier to deal with the sherman level boxes.

The map is looking good. Having just tried AW for the first time, I'm taken with the possibilities of a run-down industrial area. I understand the balance between work-load and output that is involved with creating indoor areas and I think mostly streets, with a few interiors for objectives, is great.

Id like to get into mapping after I'm finished doing what I'm doing and if they could look half as nice as this I would be happy.

It is really simple to create this level of detail at a fast pace. It isn't complexed at all. Even if I were to cut out interiors for the models. Although I chose not to do that for this piece of work (simply because I wanted street wars).

I might make a video tutorial at a later date.

The basic floor / building geometry is finished and under 1500 polygons. :)

This could get very interesting. I have about 20,000 to 30,000 left to fill this level in now!

*edit

Tested the level in game. The collision detection is flawless. Only need to texture the level and start adding props.

Edited by pz3

Keep in mind this is being made as a Team vs team level that will have firefight and defend on it as well. I created it as part of sabotage although it wasn't originally planned to be in the mod. (SM01 - District). Tiled levels aren't always the best for gameplay but the amount of alleys and different ways you can take through this level will make it a good for team vs team play. Once I get the buildings textured and start adding the props (such as buses, cars, trash cans, light poles, fireescapes, fences, and electrical grids) it should look really rich and be a fun level to hash out your differences with other players.

Edited by pz3
Keep in mind this is being made as a Team vs team level that will have firefight and defend on it as well.

As for building it for TvT, will the level also be fully built for coop use and the AI, or is this a trial map to begin with?

Excellent work so far, looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind this is being made as a Team vs team level that will have firefight and defend on it as well.

As for building it for TvT, will the level also be fully built for coop use and the AI, or is this a trial map to begin with?

Excellent work so far, looking forward to seeing it. :thumbsup:

AI will work fine on it (already tested) ;) As far as coop / mission goes. Firefight / defend will be my focus. If there is enough time I will try to work on a scenario based coop mission.

• 4 weeks later...

Life gets in the way sometimes. Caught my employer doing some not so good things. In talks / pending lawsuit. Also starting college classes soon. The level was tested in game, the textures were halfway finished. Been to busy to continue as of late.