Ghost Recon.net Forums

Deep Drill Co. - Work in progress

Deep Drill Co.(company) is a new map I started for the "Labor of love" competition. It's a industrial style map that will focus around oil drilling structures. I'm still debating in my head if should I put it in desert or woodland environment. I guess I'll decide that when I see final polygon count :whistle:

There will be at least one big building that will have interiors for the mission scripting folks. I'll also try to put a decent amount of objects that can be used for mission objectives.

I doubt I will be making mission for it because I'm no good at it and I also doubt if there will be time left for it. Maybe in patch... :rolleyes:

Right now I have just a few objects to show but that will change. The big tank in render still needs texture but the hard part with unwrapping in 3dsm is done.

At the moment I'm planning only one level on this map but if time won't be against me, it's a slim chance that I will add underground level to it. Time will tell...

I have a concept for this map in my head but if you have some ideas, i might put it into ;)

Zeko

post-2098-0-52030700-1353366410_thumb.jp

@Hammer: thanks, it's still awesome game compared to the stuff they release these days. Too bad we can't just get updated engine. This might be my last project for GR beside Sabotage. Never say never though ;)

@Riley: will PM you when I have more stuff done.

@Operative: thanks. I just felt the need for it :P

@Alex: thanks. I could do both but like I said, it will depend on polycount. If it's low, I'll rather go for woodland version as I like that scenario more. Trees and bushes that you can use to hide or sneak were always my soft spot :P. Variations might come with patch.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

Looks very promising! I like your texture work on that main building and the oil drums. Two suggestions, take them or leave them:

1. If you're worried about polycount, turn the rungs of the ladder into a single poly with an alpha texture.

2. If the base of the large tanks is wide enough for a soldier to move between the tank and the edge of the platform, put a ramp up to the base. It looks like it's just high enough to provide good visibility over the oil drums, pipes, etc, and could be a useful overwatch position.

Thanks H-Hour :)

1. I'm not that worried about polycount yet. That ladder ain't that poly hungry but it's a good idea with alpha texture. I deleted the side polys so it's optimized. I made those rungs so I can get detail for texture. I'm baking ambient occlusion map for every model to get those nice shadows so the model looks better. Will see it soon.

2. I'm having different plan with those tanks which I will show in today's render but I might change the plan. I was thinking if I turn those platforms on tanks to the standing platforms so enemy could be placed there for sniping :shuriken:

Thanks for feedback.

Ah damn it Fletcher, you comed before me :P btw

Looks nice Zeko! Keep it up! I suggest a desert scenario. Just a quick suggestion/idea whatever:

What about it will be possible to get into those oil eh towers? Like getting up on the top of it getting a good position watching. And maybe the ladder could be used to crawl up on the top?

Edited by teppe

I would prefer a woodland environment -- we already have D02 Refinery from Desert Siege. However I would think most oil refineries would be in the desert places so I dunno about that.

Yes please let us get on the oil tanks; that's one thing I always didn't like about M12 Docks and D02 Refinery: so many awesome sniping positions but you couldn't get to them :)

You probably know this, but I will mention it anyway. If you make the base platform of the tanks so that they can't be walked on, you could make each of the elevated balconies walkable without creating extra sherman levels, since they occupy exclusive xy space. You'd only be able to place/teleport units there, but that would be enough for most use-cases.

Edited by H-Hour

@teppe, Riley: it can be done with stairs to get to the tank but making and tagging all that shermans is a PITA ;) . I will consider it though. Also good point about Refinary from DS. There are oil refineries all around the world, not just in desert. Check link http://www.bloomberg.com/image/iCOZByJ64A6M.jpg and Google will give you even more :)

@H-Hour: that was exactly my plan. Thats why I made that base so big. We can both agree that shermans are very user unfriendly hehe.

Like I said teppe, I will decide that when all buildings are modeled. Trees will come last ;)

Ok so I textured those big tanks. I'm not 100% with the texture so I might tweak it a bit. I placed the tanks a bit lower into ground just to break the overall ground because flat is not fun :)

post-2098-0-19287800-1353449818_thumb.jp

Rather than sinking them in so deep, why not hollow out the ground around them, say around 4' deep then biuld a 2' high bank around all four tanks. I think that would look more realistic, just a thought. You may have a reasons for doing it the way you have.

Hammer maybe previous render didn't show well what I did. Here is new one rendered from top of the stairs that will lead down to lower level. And yeah, it's there for a reason that I hope I will realize :ph34r:

In render tanks might look a bit distorted because I used a ultra wide angel lens on a camera to render the scene out. Those coming from photography fields will know what I'm talking about :P

post-2098-0-27731700-1353455795_thumb.jp

I'm baking ambient occlusion map for every model to get those nice shadows so the model looks better.

Oh yes! GR looks completely different in game when every model has this done to it. I tried that with a simple scene and I was really impressed with the results.

Good luck on the project Zeko! :)

Thank you MrMoon and Apex :)

Not much done because of lack of time. I'm having a day off tomorrow so hopefully I'll do more.

I made a quick asset before I'm off to bed. Yes, another oil tank :rolleyes: . I'm not sure if I should keep ivy on it or not?

Tomorrow I'll start on those buildings :whack:

post-2098-0-24258700-1353893116_thumb.jp

Started on filtration/pumping building today. Model is 85% done. Needs some small details like railings on stairs and that upper level and other small junk. Then it's ready for texturing. Too bad I can't go to crazy with details... :maybe:

Comments and critiques are welcome :)

post-2098-0-93432900-1353983036_thumb.jp

Edited by Zeko