Fort Strike, ready for first beta

JohnTC02

Hi All,

Fort Strike v1 is ready for beta testing.

Another milestone for GR:AW2 here!! this is the first ever map to be made using all custom buildings so there are no stock buildings on this map.

Custom sounds:

This map includes no less than 56 custom sounds which include, all new ambient sounds, new sounds for props, computer rooms and voices.

The sound mod is included with the download but if you have already installed it then you won't need it.

New features:

I have found a new way of using the laptop as an "Intel" objective, this is done using an animated overlay on the laptop screen, I won't give to much away so you will have to play the mission to see it working.

New buildings:

There are 8 new buildings in this map, 7 of which are used to create an enclosure for the Fort objective, the other building is a small dwelling with animated sliding doors, see pics below.

Map name for dedicated servers:

coop_tc02_fort_strike_v1

Hope you enjoy the mission,

John

Fort buildings (7 in total):

fort_bunker01.jpg

fort_bunker02.jpg

Small dwelling:

fort_dwell.jpg

Download:

Fort Strike v1

Yeah, did enjoy a lot! I absolutely love the new ambient sounds...birds, jets, breaking glass (this last one had me once turning around to see if something was behind me because that's where the sound came from :rofl: ). Ran it on LAN, Hard Mode. By the end, I had killed 540 AI and I left a bunch alive. Phew, that's a lot of AI!

There were a couple of times I was being sniped and had to move around to see them. Wasn't sure if they were shooting through buildings, so I went back through to those spots. And I then was able to see they did have a clear shot of me, so all was good.

I was also able to get the laptops going (not going to spoil it either, but excellent job on that BTW) simultaneously. Got one going, went to the next one and got it going.

This is not a map I'd play on hard mode if I was by myself without unlimited life!!! And I'll add one more time, love those ambient sounds! A lot better than the loud music in some of the maps which gets old really fast.

Thanks for testing Jack, yeah I think the new sounds make a big difference to the overall gameplay, they seem to add to the immersion.

BTW the ambient sounds are completely random so you won't hear the same sound at the same point each time, plus each player will hear a different sound to his team mate at any given point.

Hey John, yes it's me again. I like this map but every time I run it in my owen server I crash about 30 minutes or so in to it. I thought it was due to a big explosion the first couple of times but last night it crashed as I was walking. One other thing is that I spaund in the middle of the roof at the first spaun point once last night. We should have it ready on our TAW server tonight and will check it out with that type of server. John, this one is so hard but that's the way we like it. A few of us have tried it in the last couple of days but because of the crashing we have not been able to get to the first objective. But we will give it a go on Tuesday night at our practice time.

Hi Goose,

Great to see you back on here mate, it's been a while.

I had the same problem of spawning on the roof at the insertion point, I made that building taller and thought I had fixed it but it looks like it needs to even taller.

Not sure why you are having the crash problem, next tine copy the crash log and post it here as it may help.

John

Well 3 of us played it all the way through on my server tonight and it didn't crash. Wow, that's a GOOD HARD map.

I saw some ai that didn't see me come into the room where they were. I don't know if that's the way you wanted it or not. They were in the multi level buiding with the little rooms. It's not a deal with me because they're easy to kill. lol

We will be having a lot more guys in it tomorrow night and check it out.

Thanks for such a a challenging map and for what you do for this game . :flowers:

Edited by TAWGoose

Hi.

Tried today and first thing I come across was when you tried to C4 the very first door, the door would not blow off from the frame cleanly and I could not get past.

Tried this twice with same result.....had to blow it off with GL in the end.

Other problem which has already been mentioned is once I spawned on start building roof and got killed very quickly.

Couldnt embed the pics in the post for some reason but you can see them here:-

http://www.4shared.com/folder/ReN_452v/TEMP_PICS.html

Shows roof spawn position and door problem and GL solution....lol.

Well John,

All I can say is another great mission, keep up the good work. I'de love to see a mission with the apache

or styrker in it I added the patch to the wiki under donalds stuff. check it out, maybe you can make it a mod insted.

We just finished John. There was 18 of us and we had about 7 of us crash a time or two. I didn't crash so I don't know why they did.

The only problem we had was lag. There was too many of us to all go in one direction, so we useally split up. Sure are a lot of surprises and neet sound effects., Can anything be done about the lag?

Thanks for the replies folks.

Goose, if you split into two or more groups to play the mission then you will be activating more triggers which will spawn more AI which = LAG!!

When I first started modding my mission scripts contained about 500 lines of code and 15 triggers, these days the average is around 3500 lines of code and 120 triggers, so, by splitting up into groups you are also putting a lot of strain on the game by activating all those triggers which in turn runs a lot of code.

Another side effect of all the above is due to the lag you are more prone to crashes.

Can anything be done about the lag?

Yup!! stick together and play as a team, my maps should be big enough to handle it. :P;)

Yeah, I spawned on the first building last night too. I was another one that didn't crash with all of us playing. I used to crash a lot, but almost never do anymore with my newer, faster PC. I'm thinking the crashes are due to individual's computers not being able to handle the load or something.

One other thing I will note even though I didn't witness it. Last night when most of us were waiting at extract, I heard Glaucus (I think it was Glaucus anyway) say he spawned inside a wall and was then killed. Not sure where that last spawn point is, but figured it was worth noting. Maybe if people keep testing, they can purposely die at the end to see if it happens to them.

Hi Jack,

Like you since upgrading my PC I hardly ever get any crash problems, even the editor is stable for me these days and that IS saying something, so this tells us that a lot of the crashes we are having are PC related apart from those that are obviously due to a bug in the mission.

I'll check the location for the last spawn point to make sure it's not to close to any walls.

I'll try and get a new beta version out soon.

Thanks all,

John

I really liked the map and new buildings. The sounds are great. Other players got to the computers so I could not see what the PCs were doing. Maybe next time. I did not crash at any time.

Edited by mexicobob

Hi John,

Thx for your reply to my email and I didn't fix the problem yet (the one I emailed you and Rocky), but I don't have that issue on this (my other) computer. So I just gonna do my replies on this one.

I played the map on my own and yesterday with others on the TAW server and it's again an amazing map with those new buildings and sound effects. The birds are cool but sometimes I think it's a bit too much.

As for the sound of braking glass it would be nice to see some glass breaking.

It's also amazing to see the laptops downloading the files. Really cool how you did that !!!

Whether playing on my own or on the TAW server I didn't have any crashes at all.

As for the first door at the start which has to be blown, I blew it open without any problems when I was playing alone. Playing with more people on my online server I saw the problem with the door.

As I was playing on the TAW server yesterday I saw the same problem with the door again, but one of us blew the door more open using GL.

I haven't spawned on strange places so I can't relate to what you, TAWGoose, JackDoe and CJ wrote about that.

Other than that, the map is great!!! :thumbsup:

Playing this map is surely no walk in the park LOL

Good job again John!

Cheers,

Rico

Thanks for the replies.

Bob,

If you get another chance to test the mission it will be worth looking at the laptop animations, I think they are quite nice.

Rico,

If you can post on the forums with your second PC I would say the fault is possibly at your end.

I can make the ambient sounds a bit more random if needed, doing this will make them play less frequently.

The laptops you mentioned consist of 9 separate animations which are all linked together then placed over the laptop screen, I spent several hours on this just for 10 seconds of gameplay.

I have seen both of the issues with the door and spawning on the roof of the building at the insertion point, due to the uneven landscape the door had to be placed in the ground which is causing problems, it's only there for eye candy so the best fix is to remove it.

KLC,

All the maps in the beta testing forum are just that, new mission that are in the beta phase so may contain bugs, I don't want these to get into the public domain until they are ready for release, hence the password.

If you or any of your team mates would be interested in beta testing just send me a PM, I'm always looking for more beta testers.

Note for all that test my missions:

Several of you that regularly test my missions do not have the Beta Testers badge on your accounts, if you are interested in having one then let me know, only regular testers can apply and I know who they are :)

Hi John,

I am sure that there are more beta testers than those who write their comments on the forum, but for many of the people who like to test, the problem lies within writing some comment on this forum.

Many people are facing a language barrier although we have Google Translator now.

The translator does the translation mostly in the automated and preprogrammed way, so from time to time you get really funny translations.

So, those who are afraid of being mocked for their "bad or funny" English, choose rather to stay away than to join the forum and post a comment. It's a pitty but it's also a reality.

Rico

Hi All,

Fort Strike v1.1 is ready for testing, please remove v1 before playing v1.1 or the game will crash with an "invalid file path" error.

There are no major changes in this version, I've just fixed what has been mentioned in this thread.

1. The building at the initial spawn point has been made taller giving more room to spawn, if this doesn't fix the problem then I will change the building.

2. Th door at the start of the mission has been removed, this was the best fix as the ground there is so uneven it was not possible to get it working every time.

3. Spawn point at the extraction phase has been relocated.

4. Ambient sounds now have a longer "quiet" time, it's possible to select a random time between the sounds being played so I have increased this value which should make them play less frequently.

5. Small changes to the AI paths at the "Retrieve Intel" objective, I spawned some AI at a gap in the fence but they just sat there refusing to move, this has been fixed.

I think that's it, thanks for testing.

John

Download

Fort Strike v1.1

Note for all that test my missions:

Several of you that regularly test my missions do not have the Beta Testers badge on your accounts, if you are interested in having one then let me know, only regular testers can apply and I know who they are :)

If I happen to be interested in Graw2 again and if my Multiplayer issue is fixed I might join in on that part.