Remake of Farm_Day

Biro

Five years has passed since I did the remake of castle_day for GRAW2 and it's still not a decent small scale tactical shooter on the market that can replace the original Ghost Recon. GRAW2 was a descent attempt from GRIN, but they failed on some of the basic things that made Ghost Recon magic for many of us. GRAW2 is still a very good game to mod and it does surprise me how few really good quality maps, weapons and characthers that has been made for it.

After the crap called GRFS hit the market for PC I really wanted to get back into the mod game and it had to be GRAW2.

With this map I have some few goals I really want to achive to bring back the true OGR feeling:

- Create an open map with long viewrange.

- Create new and good looking vegetation.

- Increase the draw distance on props, characthers and dynamic shadows.

- Improve my knowledge in 3ds Max, Mudbox and Photoshop.

- Bring the some inspiration back into GR modding to keep the community alive.

- Continue to support and upgrade the mod with new content.

I have no idea when this map will be done as I'm still learing new things as I go along, but I feel it's time to show off some teasers and create some inspiration here on the forum.

All geometry except some few props from GRAW2 have been created from scratch in 3dmax, only using the geometry from the original GR as a template.

I will write up a small and basic tutorial for how I have remade the terrain, so maybe we'll see another nice remake.

Enjoy!

Biro

Open woodlands, just like OGR!

graw2terrain.jpg

Garage and Farmhouse - Still need some more details.

graw2house.jpg

The Barn - Sniper, second floor! :gun:

graw2barn.jpg

Edited by Biro

Biro,

I only have two thumbs, so I can only give you two thumbs-up's.... If I had more of them, you would get thumbs-up's from all of them!!!

Especially love the first pic where the grass has a lushious shade of green!

Tnx all, nice to see some old dogs still visiting these forums!

It's still a long way to go on the map, but it's coming together nicely! I have to admit I have no idea how this is going to turn out in coop with such an open map, but it will be interesting to find out. More rocks and some logs will be added to provide more cover and I'm also aware of the "AI see through" for bushes so visibility blockers will be built in @ 3dmax.

Currently working on the terrain tutorial, gonna put it up later tonight.

Biro

Edited by Biro

WOW.......BLOODY AWESOME, comes to mind.....lol.

Nice work Biro......seems that GRAW 2 has had yet another lease of life and with people like yourself working on it maybe in time it will be closer to GR1 than we realise.

GRAW 2 is still very much alive Biro and has been since day 1, unfortunately cant say the same for GRFS.....lol.

Hmm I have never heard about that Rocky. If so they should start firing on corners before you stick your head out and I don't think I have seen this.

The reason they see through the bushes GRIN created is that's there's no collision what so ever on the leafs, but this is possible to add on new trees/bushes.

What I see is that the bad guys know which corner you are about to pop your head around in GRAW, but in GR you could hoodwink the bad guys by changing location, and they would still be scanning the last place they saw you.

Don't know if I explained that properly.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update for those who still follows these forums!

Last months has been really busy at work for me, so I had to take a break from modding. My shoulder wasn't good for a while aswell and this killed the last of creativity I had. Good thing is I have more spare time now and the arm is good aswell. Have been working on the map for a couple of nights adding more details and vegetation.

I wasn't too happy with the environment. It was too "green", reminded me more of Far Cry then Ghost Recon. Decided to go for something more along the lines of mission "Cold Walker" from GRFS. Trying to simulate an early morning in Chechenya or Georgia.

More updates coming in the next weeks! :rambo:

graw2house2.jpg