Ghost Recon.net Forums

Project Novo - Final Testing Phase

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know, but it's the building sizes on the strips, open one up in photoshop and you will see how tiny the individual textures are and they can't be upscaled.

as for 'unrealistic' i'm beginning to think that word is being used as more of an excuse than a reason. yeah okay so the textures aren't perfect by a fair shot, but the lack of 'realism' is partly because it has recently occured that my texture work is obviously crap, partly because the texture scales on the bldstrip are tiny and the scaling of the new textures reduces their quality, and mostly that real textures of buildings that don't fuzz to a huge blur when scaled down, are really hard to come by.

Edited by Zeealex

I do not know how to explain, but I'll try ..

You know the concept of "feel and touch"?

So in the original it is. But it is not in new textures. They could be better, more beautiful .. but no feeling of life in them.

I hope that you will understand.dntknw.gif

thank you Riley

0-0 i don't think you understand that textures like that are hard to come by or create from scratch, certainly not in the time frame i currently have. seriously, trying to get ANY form of life in the city environments are hard, the higher resolution versions in the PSD have more 'spring in their step' but when they are scaled down, the texture itself becomes flat and dull, and there is nothing i can do about that, as the High Pass technique would only make them look worse than what they are now.

but the main idea was to modernise them and make them less like 1800's townhouses. it's a 10 year old game for crying out loud, my skills are nowhere near as good as the professionals' but the old textures were noisy and dark (how is that beautiful?) if it was 1 year old, secular maps and normal map filters could be applied to bring in a texture to textures as it were and I wouldn't have this damn low res problem.

I try okay? it's not perfect, I've solved the actual corner window problem that was there in the first place (which IS a genuine realism problem*) it'll have to do unless you want to do it in which case, be my guest.

*corner windows actually do exist but they are hard to install.

Edited by Zeealex

It looks uninhabitedmda.gif

%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B4%D1%8C-137084.jpeg

And in Russia built this plan almost never occur)

For example here are the texture I like (Just need to correct material from wood to stone for bullet holes):

129488501.jpg

Well, there are many problems:

129488497.jpg

129488498.jpg

129488500.jpg

right so the windows aren't 'transparent' is that what the problem is? if so then yeah sure i can add a couple of curtains or something

aaand that centre texture at the bottom is an original texture?

the scaling on M05 is a serious pain in the ######, it will look great in some areas, but in others it will look TERRIBLE i tried to come to an equilibrium that at least works alright.

if you are on about the sharpness, i am not going to explain the reason why that is for the third time, i will just ignore you, because frankly it's getting tedious.

#1 if that picture was meant to be "funny" it wasn't, quit while you are ahead.

#2 the images you provided where of GEORGIA, not Russsia.

#3 have you considered the fact that people may have been evacuated?

#4 i will ask someone to fix that wood hole error in the RSB converter, it used to be a wooden cabin.

This looks really beautiful, probably what every oldschool GR player is looking for.

Congrats and keep up the good work!

thank you, i appreciate that :)

Perhaps windows aren't 'transparent'... perhaps too monotonous texture... I do not know, you should try and look at the end result.

1 Do not be nervous))) I do not write that what you are doing poorly and badly. I am writing you have to work even if you want to do really well. It is a pity that you do not understand.

2 I wrote about Moscow.

3 People were evacuated, but the house looks as if it had never lived.

4 Ok)

"if you are on about the sharpness, i am not going to explain the reason why that is for the third time, i will just ignore you, because frankly it's getting tedious."

About what that?) I do not understand, write on a plain language.

Thanks Riley. I'm not saying i won't do it, I'll do what I can, but I'm not promising anything, serious texture errors like noticable cut offs or the ground DM error Wombat spotted, are of a higher priority to the mod, as it is a genuine continuity error that will require a fix or they will look completely out of place.

To be honest, 0-0 you are being rude now. I'm not willing to continue this debate when I could be getting on with something useful like file optimization and additions of new textures. if you carry it on, I will discuss it with an administrator.

Roger that John. ;)

Alex, I think what 0-0 is trying to say goes something like this.

The building textures look to "new" Like not enough mildew or mold growing on the walls. Built yesterday and possibly never lived in. It makes it less believable and looks more like CG then the old textures did. The only other real criticisim I could have is the color theory is off. Darks and highs / colors seem unbalanced a bit (something I still never get right myself).

However. Your resolutions are higher so I can see the clearity and quality definitely is there. Vilnius is by far one of my favorites. That new look with the blown up walls is kind of cool.

Its good work Zee. Perhaps give some of the textures a once over with a grunge brush of some sort and maybe a slight bit of color correction will keep the critics off your back.

If you do chose to do that and need help let me know. Id love to help on Vilnius.

Cheers Zee, there is always time for a version 2 ;)

Thanks Pz3 and Wombat.

@pz3 i think the language barrier perhaps got in the way of my understanding. your explanation is crystal clear if that's what 0-0 meant, then it's a great idea. well either way it is. i'll do that! :) come to think of it, it looks a little too clean

If you really want to I'm more than happy for you to work on Vilnius a little more, so long as it's done for Saturday i know it's slim, but a cleanup of 2 days is required.

would it be possible to point out the unbalanced coloring I can't really make a judgment at present, my machine is hating on this game.

there is always time for a version 2

do you mean version 3? :D

Instead of posting up a version 3 I'll just add the changes in a zip, the main file is too heavy and you'd never get it to test in time.

otherwise thanks for the clarification, and i'll fix the textures in the morning if i have time.

@wombat, haha that's going to be fun renaming all of them :rofl:

what's the fix on the stucco house? sorry, lost track

@wombat, haha that's going to be fun renaming all of them :rofl:

what's the fix on the stucco house? sorry, lost track

Not that many to rename, maybe 8 or 10. I'd tell you I was sorry but you know that already. :)

Refer to the second pic in post 83 in regards to the stucco_house texture.

Changed the surface type of the stucco_house texture from wood to concrete for M06 and MP06.

I dont know if Ill get it done by saturday. Flat tire today. Waiting to get that fixed tomorrow and I work until the end of the week. Ill try though Zee.

As far as color theory / balancing goes. That is purely an artists own prefrence.

You have to think of it like this. All the entities are located in the same area. They get the same weather from the elements, the same molds, mildews, similar cracks in concrete from temperature difference in the seasons, snow shovel wear, bird poop on ledges, human wear etc.....The sun is bright or dim, it casts a yellow or whitish tint / blue grey soft shadow, the area is smokey or dusty.....

Thats the kind of things I think about when working on textures/levels. All of the surfaces in some form have some kind of color/brightness/wear to them that is similar in nature.

Usually just trying to slightly match color/brightness is all I do. Its not really a big deal though.

The engine itself (especially nextgen ones) usually matches the lighting of the textures to some degree by adding a tint. In older games like GR though having conflicting lighting in textures though can make for a very unbelievable look to any model.

*edit again* Hey what happened to the download link? I needed to download it again.

Edited by pz3

@wombat haha, i know don't worry :)

and cool, i thought that was another house for some reason.

@pz3, aaah, fair enough, just PM the textures to me whenever you are ready then, if it's done after release i'll put it in the island thunder textures project.

thanks for clarifying on colour theory ;)

are you getting the link from the first page?

new link

it's V2 :D

Edited by Zeealex

Done, You probably wont notice the changes off the bat unless you open up the old and new files. Used 2 overlays, grunge for a bit of a noiser surface and color to bring all textures colors together. Basically it is unnoticeable work but adds that little extra depth to the immersion factor :)

I tried this on embassey as well. Embassey is a little more complicated since it is newer buildings mixed with older ones.... it would take a little more time matching the textures together and roughing them up.

Edited by pz3

Lookin really good Pz3! Thanks a million for your time and effort. :)

Sod's law I have a really busy weekend... :rolleyes:

Ahh well it's mainly a case of downloading moving, deleting and quick 5 min fixes, it shouldn't take too long, I just hope the uploader plays nice on monday :/

Reminder to peeps you have til the end of tomorrow to get test data in. Anyone who spots something afterwards, PM me but not after 5.00PM GMT on the 12th, that is when the final upload will commence.

Laters :)

Alex and all... you guys are amazing! This project and your excellent collaboration on it are truly inspirational to watch. I understand that Alex wants to get this to a finished state for November 13th, but I'd say that there is absolutely no reason for being stressed out about this or rushing things along, as the current form of the mod already demonstrates so much effort from everyone involved while still holding mountains of promise for future refinements. BTW - nothing speaks against beta versions participating in the Labor of Love competition... ;)

I agree Apex, no need to rush it out the door. If more time is needed I don't think it would offend anyone.

The mod when it is released is a big improvement over the original maps but I can see refinements to it in the future too.

The desert maps are in .zip form in the map folder. If anyone wishes to view and comment on them unpack the .zip file where it is.

Edited by wombat50