Mod weekend feedback

zazel

As the admin responsible for watching the server during mod weekend, I will give you my observations, cause I keep track of who plays when. During non mod times we do have 15 players alot, occasionally 20 to 25 and on rare occasions 30. On mod weekends we do run in the low teens sometimes. Mostly I see 6-10 players on, and when i do see 3-5 players on I see people enjoying the mods. Mod weekend is to give time to those who want mods. 4 days the server is set to vanilla gr, plenty of time for those who want that to play. 3 days the server is set to mods. During mod play you see alot of coop, and some serious coop at that.

I think mod weekend gives modders the respect and recognition they deserve. It lets us see that people enjoy our hard work. I'll bet there are very few mods that have ever been played online and I think that should change.

Yeah i agree.

I think mod weekend gives modders the respect and recognition they deserve. It lets us see that people enjoy our hard work.

I agree with this statement!

I'll bet there are very few mods that have ever been played online and I think that should change.

I hate to say, but I don't agree with this statement as many modders devoted time and energy that was reflected by online use of great mods.

My server almost always ran different mods than "plain old vanilla” as well as most of the associated clans I knew.

That’s why modders, like yourself, made mods….. to give the community something refreshing to look at and play.

That is quite evident by the sheer number of mods out there!

When, GR had a really large following, most servers ran mods.

Sure you could find some servers that still ran “vanilla” but if my memory serves me correctly, that was the exception…. Not the “norm”!

• This game would have died a agonizing death years ago, had it not been for modders with fresh ideas!

Kudos to all modders!

just sayin'

Best Regards,

Saker

@ Saker

Thats pretty much how i remember it, that how i ended up joining GRnet coz it was the place to DL the required mods, as you say it was very difficult to find servers running vanilla games, back in the day .

i been playing pc gr for maybe 4 years, bitd i played on ps. at the time i started it was down to one server, aeg, who were pretty much exclusively 1.4, random teams, siege. there was ususally 16-20 ppl on all night, every night. when they folded, dkf took over, all the same faces, same numbers but ususally lms cos thats what most ppl wanted to play. when dkf folded, the same faces moved to the gr.net server, which was open access, 1.4, most of the time lms cos thats what ppl wanted. usually you got same numbers as aeg and dkf severs. always plenty of ppl to play against.

imo, since the mods started, numbers have dropped off a cliff, hardly ever see over 10-12 ppl, most of the time struggles to get up to 8, and often it is tumbleweeds.

i think basically ppl arnt interested in mods, its just more hassle to dl, and they are unstable (eg server is ###### as im typing this.) you have to be realistic what the player base is these days, basiaclly die hards and stick in the muds who dont like change. when you make ppl like this change, theyre probably more likely to change games.

to get dencent numbers on, ppl wanna see a decent number of ppl to play against, so you need a kind of critical mass. when ppl see 6 ppl on, alot of ppl just wont log in. probably after a week or so of this they just dont bother looking anymore.

i also think a lot of ppl still playing really dont like coop. i prefer it under 8 ppl, but i see a lot of ppl who wanna play teams as soom as there is 4/5 ppl. they wont log on with its locked to coop.

all in all, i think if you are isnsitant on running mods or coop, dont do it at the weekend, every weekend. maybe monday/tuesday, and keep the same mod for a month?

now i havent got the traffic data, so this is just what ive noticed in passing, but like ive got used to having 10/12 ppl on any time i feel like playing. on this server now, its not reliable that anyone will be on, so i often just do something else.

What other server?

probably the chile server, runs skypeghost all the time, but their server is a lag fest

other 24/7 server on xfile is the spanish one, neither of these are public admin access tho

theres anotehr one in scandanavia somewhere, but its not up regularly

Edited by themself

to themself....

I guess I probably shut my GR server down about the same time you started playing then.

But what you describe used to not be the norm.

When I shut my FNG server down, AEG and FNG got together and put up a rented server..... it ran mods at times as well!

If so many people want to play with no mods at all and just LMS, makes me wonder why people like yourself don't throw up a PC and make it a dedicated server to run "Vanilla GR".

With a decent connection, you could host 10-12 people....might make the community grow bigger......

BTW,

I guess I am a die hard stick in the mud that likes to see mods run and not COD style gameplay.......

Themself, Very nice post. Thank you.

1.Yes mod weekend is not as busy as rest of week. 2. Yes mod weekend tends more towards coop than lms or team v team.

1. Mod weekend is new, as it catches on more then more people will download the mods and participate, hopefully. Been 5 weekends now, most people should realize by now that they can either dl the mod and play on the dedi server or they can play on the laggy servers as you describe them. It is hoped that more people give it a try and dl the mods. Mods do offer a change, yes some people resist change. Now personally I dont mind playing with fewer players if that player base is dedicated enough to dl a mod if necessary.

2. It is a mod/coop weekend. The point is to have a dedicated day for coop. There is a lot of players out there that will only play coop, they refuse to play team vs team. Six days a week server is open for what ever style, one day a week for coop only is not asking too much. If server pass is not locked for that day then coop will not get to be played.

Draxy, I would very much appriciate it if you would tell us the name you play under on the server as I never see a draxy on the server.

That is 4 times you have been asked, So now I am insisting that If you wish to continue to provide feedback on your experience on the server that you show you are on the server. Understand what I am saying? If your not on the server then its not feedback.

I think the biggest problem is that people aren't open to change. I would be happy WITHOUT a dedicated-to-coop day if people would not always veto the idea of a game of Co-op. If you enjoy the team vs team run and gun style of play, why not play an updated game that caters to that style rather than playing a tactical game from 2001?

Edited by RileyFletcher_01

• 3 weeks later...

The hostility towards drax in this and other posts is gettin' retarded.

It's an opinion from a guy that has played more GR matches than all of you combined, and its also probably the opinion of most (if not all) oldschoolers from the ladder scene, which ironically are the ones that continue to play here despite the years and the lack of competitive scene. That you should take in consideration my friends.

Truth be told, not many ppl would consider downloading a 1GB Mod (Heroes) for a game as old as GR. That's nothing to do with recognizing the work of a modder (which is very valuable), its just practical thinking. Everyone requires Game + 2 Expansions already just to play the game in any available room and you put Big Mods that no one but you guys know. Besides, there's hardly other room available to play Multiplayer. End result: The restrictions just blocks the average player that just want to join for a couple of fun rounds in his/her free time.

And yes, the server gets very low numbers because of the same reason. If you wanna play by yourselves the way you want to play the game (COOP, clearly) in the weekends because that's the only time you get to play then by all means, put a password on it and let your friends play and that's it. It's you server anyways...

Edited by ThEcLoWnZoR

Hi

If some ###### didnt figure out draxy was draxpwnzjoo on the server I can only congratulate him! Dont think there is much similar names on the server? I havent been on the server becoz it has all the mods activated on weekends, I would be happy to pop there tho. I dont think makes any sence since I had some beers and vodka tho. But eventually I m with clonwn with everything that he supports, but cant BOTHER to read his post. tyvm ya and gunz shouldnt be banned coz you dont like his style of owning ya... Well I m a total mess laters

... I hope you get your server up soon!