Disabling In-Game Messages / Text Chat

ApexMods

Disabling In-Game Messages / Text Chat  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of the things I am considering for the next version of the Heroes Unleashed mod is the complete removal of those red and yellow in-game text messages that appear in the top left corner of the screen (e.g. for text chat), as I always feel they distract from gameplay and have a detrimental effect on immersion. On the other hand, some people may rely on this feature e.g. for chatting with their team mates in co-op games. What's your opinion on this?

I play co-op too and i think its good to have those chats, but i think to give it some fresh colour? Green maybe, if thats possible.

I think its nice to delete the ''enemy down'' red things but not the chat text.

Teppe

Edited by teppe

That would be ridiculous. If you don't have voice comms you're messed up for using any tactics. Plus I like using the quick chat keys.

1. If you don't have comms, then you shouldn't play! <--<< LOL
  2. We know HOW MUCH Riley likes his chat keys, should name them SPAM Keys! >>--> Another LOL
  3. Can you disable only Rileys Text on my computer? <--<< Now ROFLMAO

:rofl:

Just imagine Riley could actively change the font size of his chat messages...

"ENEMY ON MAP!!! CHECK YOUR MAP!!! FOR FREAKIN' OUT LOUD CHECK THAT DAMN COMMAND MAP OF YOURS!!!"

The thing is... enemies don't show on the command map in Heroes Unleashed. :)

The thing is that when he says to check the map half the time there are no enemy markers and the other half of the time you get shot while looking at your map. :P

I try to call things out with a direction but generally you could have dropped them faster than calling it out unless they have not spotted you yet.

That's the thing, though. With the method I have in mind there would be no easy way to re-enable the display. I'll try to think of alternatives to make this possible, although this would probably require a huge amount of additional work on my end. (Damn!) :)

Let me also explain all this a bit further. As mentioned, I am currently working on the next Heroes Unelashed update, which is aimed at even more hardcore realism and, in turn, even more immersion. Lately whenever I play GRHU with some friends, I disable both the soldier and weapon panels in the HUD (pressing the F11 and F12 keys lets you toggle them on/off), so there is just the weapon reticle on screen. At very high resolutions on a large display, Ghost Recon offers a unique and amazingly immersive perspective that really captures you, and the only thing partially spoiling the illusion of "really being there" was that distracting text spamming in the upper left corner.

Admittedly, we play on LAN or with voice-com, so for us the text chat is a secondary concern. But once you get used to a "clean" screen (with voice chat), it is really hard to go back playing with that on-screen text. And you have to admit that text chat is absolutely no substitute for voice communication, which should actually be mandatory for tactical co-op gaming. Remember also that there are no enemy markers on the command map in GRHU, so e.g. the classic "Enemy on map" message is of no use at all.

Let me ask you one question:

What about when it is being played on the game server? This may be a minor problem, but how are admins going to communicate with rulebreakers, or just anyone they need to talk to? I think that the chat is essential. I would remove all 'Quick Save', 'Replay Reset', 'Enemy Down', 'Armor Spotted', etc. and the voice notifications for those as well, but the chat seems really important to the game to me. Sometimes our voice comms have issues during a co-op game and if that happened during a mission it could be a mess. It would make me less inclined to play HU.

My rule of thumb: if nobody is griping about it, leave it as it is. If somebody gripes about it, change it :) As long as there's no complaints about the chat, maybe you should include a separate .RAR folder with the download allowing the quick switching of strings.res files? But then you have the issue of different files during online matches.

:hmm:

Valid point about server use and missing admin notifications in-game, Riley. While the chat would still work fine in the lobby and post-action screen, in-game this would really only work with mandatory voicecom. Good food for thought! I'll go back to the drawing board to think this through.

Still, anyone's thoughts on this are welcome.