Combat footage from GRO pre-Open Beta

Bahger

is an impressive team performance that I was fortunate enough to capture with FRAPS.

This firefight gives a pretty good impression of the gameplay dynamics, combat gameplay, weapon performance and special ability deployment.

Note use of:

- Oracle (teammate) to identify enemy positions, briefly outlined in red

- Cloak (player) to advance into cover undetected

- Aegis (teammate) to enable fireteam to advance while shielded

- Virtual "tethers" when teammates are in proximity to each other, to enhance situational awareness and assist in identifying enemy positions

I think this sequence demonstrates, among other things, the high quality of the game and the genuinely tactical nature of the combat.

Video quality is downgraded by FRAPS to avoid affecting framerate while capturing DV/sound. My native resolution is 1200 x 1920.

...and yes, I know I got lucky not being killed by the frag in the doorway but that's what armor inserts are for!

Hey Rocky, I'm Strummer in-game if you want to friend me and fireteam together.

Because this game is built for the PC -- and having played GRFS (which I like, with significant reservations) -- I'm convinced that GRO represents the true GR legacy. FTP/PvP gaming isn't for everyone -- most mature tac gamers I know prefer coop because there is less posturing -- but this is something special and I urge you all to sign up for the Open Beta.. Closed Beta vets will have had a week to level up to new weapons and armor by the time the OB starts next week so ping me if you'd like me to help ease you into it.

(And Rocky, if you want a preview for GR.net, let me know, I'm your man.)

Hey Rocky, I'm Strummer in-game if you want to friend me and fireteam together.

(And Rocky, if you want a preview for GR.net, let me know, I'm your man.)

Yes and yes! I'll look for you next time I am on, maybe tomorrow.

Strummer, friend not found.

Hmm...let's see if I can find you.

Oh, wait, "Bonnie Scotland", you're playing in the Euro server, I'm in North America and never the twain shall meet. it's a bit of a frustrating limitation but it's to optimise game performance.

If you like, PM me with word count and whatever other guidelines you can think of (such as screenshot resolution, for example) and I could write a preview of GRO as Open Beta starts, probably next week.