Ground Branch

teppe

“Ground Branch was seriously wounded, but the soul still burns.”

Posted on July 7, 2012 by jsonedecker

First of all, thank you to everyone who contributed towards the Kickstarter campaign; either by financial means, or by word of mouth. If anything, at least you are are now aware that there is a studio out there that is attempting to bring back a style of game and a mentality that has been long absent from the PC gaming scene. Every person counts, and we are glad to have reached so many new people through this campaign.

Do not be discouraged! Continue to spread the word about our game, to anyone who may be interested. The more people that are interested in such a game, the more likely the chance that we can be successful in the future. I want to personally thank Chris (Sidestrafe) for giving us a few honorable mentions. If you don’t follow this guy’s YouTube channel, please do so; he’s a great game commentator, and when we plan to show more in the future, we will definitely ask for his help. Thanks to all of the cool journalists that covered us (Mike at Joystiq, Adam at RPS et cetera); continue to follow those sites and thank those guys for giving us a fighting chance.

It’s going to be an uphill battle from here, but we’d love to keep you in the loop for further developments. We are currently in talks with a party that could potentially help us get published, but we can’t speak about it just yet. We are also working with a new programmer, and should have some interesting things to show soon. Either way, we’re going to continue working on the game to our best abilities, and will release new videos when we can.

For now, we’re going to take a small break to regain some of our sanity.

Please, join our forums and keep in touch. We will be contacting you guys the second we have more information and videos to show you. I hope you’ve enjoyed what we’ve shown so far, and will stick around to see more.

Thanks again to everyone who backed us, regardless of the outcome. We won’t forget you. Continue to support cool, niche Kickstarter projects, and please continue to follow us.

BlackFoot Studios

The game is still being worked on.

The Kickstarter wasn't the death knell. BFS is buzzing with activity about Ground Branch Lessons learned, and this game will be released if only because we're never giving up, and will never stop pushing.

I just don't think there is an audience big enough to support this type of game anymore. I mean I wish there was because I am still playing SWAT 4,RVS and GR but realistically the tactical shooter genre is dead.

Arma 2 is a great example of that. Until DAYZ you could count the servers on a half page listing and less than 1500 players on a good day. DAYZ added 1000's of new servers so that kinda shows where the interests lie of the population.

the GB kickstarter and Take Down Starter are examples I think you can look at. 1800 backers for GB and 5400 for Takedown which equals 8000 roughly interested parties. Now you look at the Ouya project looking to get 950,000 and they raise 5 Million +!!!!! 42,000 backers!!! So in the end numbers don't lie. When I can grab a game of Wolfenstein ET and find 1000's of players but have a hard time finding a server with 64 players in ArmA 2 you get the idea. Tactical sims are dead.

And I tell you for me one thing I didn't see ANYWHERE in ANY of GB's media was one simple thing... fun. Where is the fun? I see technical ideas and a nice looking shooting range but never once did I hear JD say he was gonna make a game that people would LOVE and have FUN playing. When people talk about Ghost Recon we talk about how much fun we have playing it and how much we LOVE that damn ugly ass game. And to me GB encompassed not only an unreliable future but a lack of fun.

Edited by twcrash

Again it was saying fun in what we saw not in what they actually said. I didn't see anything fun in what they proposed in GB. It was bland and boring actually. if I was a military contractor looking for a killhouse I may have thought it was ok at best. But COD made a couple great killhouses along with The Regiment, SWAT4,America's Army, Ghost Recon and of course every version of ArmA and OFP.

That was the reason for the Kickstarter and the function of Kickstarter in general. To back an IDEA. What BFS showed is essentially unfinished pieces to an unfinished game. In order to show all the "fun" things to do, they need money in order to create it. They expressed their ideas (<<<keyword) of what they thought would make a great tactical shooter, of which they actually have something to show in-game (most KS campaigns have very little if anything at all), though unfinished. Honestly the biggest mistake BFS made in the KS campaign was showing any in-game stuff, because people will judge it against what their expectations are for a "finished product". It would have been better to not show anything in-game and leave that up to the imagination of the viewer like many other Kickstarters do. But John wanted to at least show something with substance as opposed to fluff and PR speak filled with buzzwords.

John did have a large part in the early RSE games (R6/GR) and we consider(ed) those quite fun. Why couldn't he make another game at least equally as fun that is catered to (whether you agree or not) to people who were/are fans of early TC games?

Ground Branch is not meant to be a game for the masses, it is a game that fills a void.

A lot of people miss a slow pace thinking mans game that is team orientated that what GB is.

The game is not trying to be COD/AA/etc.

The comment about fun all games are fun no matter what the title is, it is the individual that makes it fun as part of a team you can have a lot of fun.

People will always like this type of game, because it is different.

It sets itself apart from other titles.

This forum is full of posts re please bring back the old style of play, as in GR/ Rainbow,

Ground Branch will do that.

You rememeber that the footage was still alpha stage, right?

I did watch the video for the ouya, all I saw was some people telling me how great it would be with few real details. It was simply a bunch of hype about how it was the most wonderful thing ever. I did not like that at all.

The Ground Branch video on the other hand was actually showing something real that will be used to make something fun. Not just a vague idea surrounded by hype. Something real already existed and I liked that.

I think John actually mentioned this in one of his posts how people would rather be fed a load of crap instead of seeing something real but unfinished. Though I may be mistaken and it could have been someone else.

When I look at a video of Ghost Recon and forget having played it.. the games looks terrible. Playing it makes it fun.

Rainbow Six Vegas? Miserable game(arcade&thirdperson).. BUT a ton of fun doing THunt with your friends.

ARMA II? You see where I am going with this?

How can you judge Ground Branch on only what was visually displayed and not what was said when you like other things that are 100% spoken/printed hype and nothing at all shown. :/

I want to play Ground Branch when it is finished. It will be fun.(unless it is horribly broken in some manner or another, but that applies to basically all games)

Edited by Oelmuvun

You rememeber that the footage was still alpha stage, right?

I did watch the video for the ouya, all I saw was some people telling me how great it would be with few real details. It was simply a bunch of hype about how it was the most wonderful thing ever. I did not like that at all.

The Ground Branch video on the other hand was actually showing something real that will be used to make something fun. Not just a vague idea surrounded by hype. Something real already existed and I liked that.

I think John actually mentioned this in one of his posts how people would rather be fed a load of crap instead of seeing something real but unfinished. Though I may be mistaken and it could have been someone else.

When I look at a video of Ghost Recon and forget having played it.. the games looks terrible. Playing it makes it fun.

Rainbow Six Vegas? Miserable game(arcade&thirdperson).. BUT a ton of fun doing THunt with your friends.

ARMA II? You see where I am going with this?

How can you judge Ground Branch on only what was visually displayed and not what was said when you like other things that are 100% spoken/printed hype and nothing at all shown. :/

I want to play Ground Branch when it is finished. It will be fun.(unless it is horribly broken in some manner or another, but that applies to basically all games)

Agreed

Ground Branch is unique in that it is reviving a game style that died off more than 8 years ago, this style being the "Tactical Sim".

I for one will be buying this game as it is something lacking in today's gaming world.

-loosebruce

I wouldn't call it blindly optimistic and you don't need to be condescending to the people who are supporting GB by saying that. I think most people are aware of the possibility that it won't get finished, but there's nothing wrong with people being "excited" for the type of game that BFS is trying t omake and many of us have been waiting for for a loooooong time.

And I tell you for me one thing I didn't see ANYWHERE in ANY of GB's media was one simple thing... fun. Where is the fun? I see technical ideas and a nice looking shooting range but never once did I hear JD say he was gonna make a game that people would LOVE and have FUN playing. When people talk about Ghost Recon we talk about how much fun we have playing it and how much we LOVE that damn ugly ass game. And to me GB encompassed not only an unreliable future but a lack of fun.

It's a game so I would think FUN would be implied. :)

A lot of people miss a slow pace thinking mans game that is team orientated that what GB is.

For sure I'm one of those people. I never did understand why so many people thought linear scripted war games were a blast to play. :whack: The only thing I ever used my brain for in those types of games was to figure out exactly how the scripter wanted me to get through his level and that usually was to only way to get through the level. STUPID & BORING. :censored: