Is it just me or is this totally messed up?

From day one I've been encountering an issue I have yet to hear anyone mention both here and over at the UBISOFT forum. In-game I find myself constantly firing at a given corner in front of me by accident. In the below video I'm looking over my left shoulder. I'm clearly positioned way off the corner in front of me as is my reticle, yet when firing I'm still hitting the corner. Happens with any given weapon. Can't begin to tell you how many times I've gotten killed because of this. Am I just crazy or is this not totally messed up?

http://www.lowpro.ne...ticle_issue.wmv (6mb)

Edited by Low Profile

I took a deeper look at this issue and determined exactly what is going on which appears to be more prevalent when looking over the left shoulder than the right. In the video linked to above you can see where I have a clear line of sight to the left of the wall in front of me, but my shots are hitting the wall when they shouldn't be. Without moving my aim had I looked "down the irons" at that point I would have seen that the game then has me aiming at the wall instead exactly where my shots were hitting. When backing out of "down the irons" at that point my reticle is then still positioned on the wall in front of me, not well over to the left where it was positioned originally. That my dear friends is totally screwed up, no matter what perspective the game is being played from.

Edited by Low Profile

• 2 weeks later...

Well I figured out a technique to always see where my shots are actually going to hit versus where the reticle is pointed. Added the laser sight to the weapons I use. Would rather not use it, but it's worth the trade off as the laser will show me if my shot is going to hit the wall/cover in front of me to the left or right versus where my reticle is actually pointing. I can then adjust my aim accordindly, so that my shots always clear the cover in front of me. Trying to compensate for this on my own just wasn't working out too well. Third person shooters really are ridiculous.

Edited by Low Profile

I actually don't mind 3rd person perspective. I used to play Rogue Spear in both 1st and 3rd person way back when, and played with the "over the shoulder" view in GR2 with no issues.

I'm not trying to start any debate about the merits of 1st vs 3rd-person, but in my opinion, your bullets hitting a different place to where your reticle is pointed should not have anything to do with 1st or 3rd person. Just sounds like something wrong with the game.

The camera angle in-game is not providing for seeing the actual line my shot is going to take as if I were standing there aiming the weapon myself. Obviously I shouldn't expect this to be the case as it's a 3rd person shooter, but I've played 3rd person shooters before and don't recall having to deal with this issue to this degree. When looking over my left shoulder the camera is above and behind me to my left and looking back to the right. When looking over the right shoulder just the opposite. This results in me seeing the reticle past the cover it's actually pointing on with no point of reference for my true line of sight as I'm aiming the weapon. Using the laser sight in turn allows me to see the actual line my shot is going to take as the laser sight displays a direct path from the muzzle of my weapon to the reticle on-screen within the 3d space.

Edited by Low Profile

The camera angle does not help, part of the problem, if you look close is that your charcter does not reshoulder his weapon on the left shoulder, he keeps it on his right. This provides the camera with a clear sight but not the rifle barrel, If I am correct in the campagin when you switch camera shoulders Kozak reshoulders on his left to eliminate this issue.

I have the lasers on my guns for this reason though.