Ghost Recon on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later

Ghost Recon on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later (incl. macOS 10.15 Catalina)

Introduction

As Mac OS X 10.7 and later no longer support legacy PPC applications like Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, an easy solution for playing PPC games on modern Macs is a Wineskin wrapper to install and run the Windows PC version.

The Ghost Recon Wrapper also allows e.g. dedicated server hosting and running the Igor game editor. And a nice side-effect is that all Ghost Recon mods for PC are now fully Mac compatible!

Enjoy Ghost Recon (and mods) for PC on Mac! :)

Requirements

• Mac OS X 10.6.8 - macOS 10.15.x
• Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better
• 1 GB RAM or more
• 128 MB graphics card or better
• 4 GB available disk space
• TCP/IP connection (for network / internet play)
• Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (2001) for Windows/PC

DOWNLOAD GHOST RECON WRAPPER FOR MAC

(continually updated, latest version 2020-05-11)

Download for old Mac OS (10.6.8-10.13.x)

It has nothing to do with 64bit, it is because GR was compiled for PowerPC and Apple stripped out what they called Rosetta that translated between PPC and x86. (not to be confused with a completely different product called Rosetta Stone)

That is simply all. Apple decided to can Rosetta. Other extremely popular games such as StarCraft, Diablo II, etc, anything that was never updated to be x86 compatible is also affected.

Yes, they already semi-canceled Rosetta in Snow Leopard (it was an optional install only) to entice developers to update their apps. Rosetta's PPC translation layer was the last remnant of 32-bit technology in OS X, so it got the axe for 10.7, making it the first 100% 64-bit OS. I kinda understand their reasoning though, as endlessly carrying legacy compatibility around weighs down the whole OS (see Windows).

Sad that there has never been a fully native Intel update for GR, though.

I can attest that ApexMods' wrapper works perfectly on Lion (10.7) on a late-2011 Macbook Air. I play on an external display and everything works perfectly.

I usually host the server for co-op play with buddies, so I'll check that functionality this evening and report back here, though I suspect it will work.

Great work, thank you!

-Doc

EDIT: Network hosting works perfectly!

Edited by Doc. Caliban

• 1 month later...

Just a little heads-up for those of you running Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. As the latest OS X doesn't come with X11 pre-installed anymore, it is necessary to manually install the X Window System for Wineskin wrappers to use. You can download the latest version of XQuartz here. Just mount the disc image and run the installer.

Another change introduced with OS X 10.8 is the Gatekeeper technology that by default only allows digitally signed applications to run. As Wineskin wrappers have no digital signature, you will have to allow unsigned apps to run via System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere.

I edited the topic title to reflect that the Wineskin wrapper in the OP also works on Mac OS X 10.8 (provided you follow the steps outline in this post).

*EDIT: I was wrong, the wrapper does NOT rely on an external X11 as it comes with one built in. Sorry for the confusion.

• 1 month later...

NOTE: It looks like Mac OS X 10.7.5 & 10.8.2 Update breaks Wine completely. Even Codeweaver's Crossover is completely broken after the update and they are working with Apple on a fix. I'll have a look at what can be done to resolve this, but it may take some time. Sorry about the inconvenience.

*EDIT: Wrapper fixed/updated.

• 1 month later...

Just a little heads-up that I keep updating the wrapper with the latest versions of wine and wineskin engine as they become available (while maintaining the download link from the opening post). Next to the new engines the current app also includes additional clean-up routines to avoid some stability issues and spamming of log and preference files.

• 4 months later...

I've updated the wrapper again and there are some stability and performance improvements. I'm also working on a helper tool application to make life with Ghost Recon inside the wrapper a lot easier, e.g. by handling mods settings and some options before launch, facilitating mod installations etc. It's almost ready for release - currently testing and adding some finishing touches here and there. Check back here for news.

• 1 month later...

Hello Apex

Bought me an Imac with OSX 10.8 and already does not run GR. Is there any way to run it? Try to follow your steps but I'm not clear. You can make a guide more easy as it works as said you. Or a link where to download it ready.

Thank you

Greeting

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I'm hoping to get GR installed on both my Macbook Air (running 10.8.4) and my wife's Macbook Air (10.7.5), so that we can be on the same team on missions. I used to love this game, and my wife, being a Marine Corp a number of years back, would love it - I know. I just purchased a used version of GR through Amazon, and it came into the mail today. So, I followed the instructions, downloading the wrapper, placing it in my Applications folder. I loaded in the GR cd, and began the install process.

First try, there was an error, like some missing .dll file or something. So I restarted the computer.

Second try worked. The whole install process finished, and as suggested, I chose not to install the ubi.com multiplayer thing.

So, I double clicked the Ghost Recon.app, and the first thing it does is pop up a small window that says cannot locate CD-Rom, and to "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart Application". The CD was still in the superdrive, so I ejected it, and reloaded it, then tried opening the application again, and the same thing happens. I'm not sure what to do now. I thought that after installation, the CD was no longer needed anyway.

I installed it on my wife's computer, and it installed first try. But when trying to play, another error pops up, saying there is a serious problem. When I show details, it says that there is an "unhandled exception: page fault on read access to Oxe93e91ee in 32-bit code (OxO067224a)" I tried reloading the program, and a different error pops up, saying "A debugger has been detected" and to "unload the debugger and try again". So, I'm not sure what's going on there either.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by jtibbitt

PM ApexMods by hovering the cursor over Apex's name in his above post. Should get a pop-up with option to send message.

He doesn't frequent here often so sending him a message may be the quickest way to get an answer.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Mac's myself. Good luck.

I fixed the first issue on my computer by installing a [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] patch. I found it at [Deleted]:

[Link Removed]

I'm still trying to play with my wife's macbook air to get it installed on there.

Edited by JohnTC02

jtibbitt, I have removed the link in your post.

May I remind you of the following from our forum rules:

[3.7] Warez : Links to warez sites or discussion of warez is not permitted. Breach of this rule can lead to legal proceedings against this site, and will not be tolerated. Software cracks that remove the "CD/DVD check" are against the Ubi Soft licensing agreement and are included in this rule - which is strictly enforced. Posts containing CD-keys and links to sites of CD-keys will be deleted.

Any breach of our rules may lead to a warning or post moderation.

Hello jtibbitt

GR Mac does not run under system 10.7 and 10.8 with intel processors. Since the game is 2001 for processors PowerPC. If you have Mac the only way is to run it through Bootcamp and have GR on PC. There is another way to make it run with a program called Wineskin Winery inside the Mac but that's already something more complicated to explain, but if you search on YouTube you will find it.

I remember when I did a SkypeGhost mods for the Chilean community, contact the Ubisoft and told me that the GR was already released to be downloaded free and without restrictions for use.

<DELETED>

Best regards

Sorry for my English.

When I did Mods SkypeGhost was made like 6 or 7 years ago, you will understand that I don't that email, since I have changed 3 times my Mac and am lost the Ubisof email. But if I remember that I expressed as a game released to their discharge by a game of 2001. I do not think that this height is still selling. Also I was told regarding the Mods that I had to contact the creators in this case GRPA PUNiSHER which contact to ask for your permission to use some maps gave to which the OK with the condition that in the credits include the GRPA Mods and developers.<br /><br />Best regards

• 3 weeks later...

You must first have an installer GR of the pc (instal.exe) on your Mac. Then with the Wineskin Winery down the WS8Wine1.1.10 version and follow the step that tells you the video. I find after several attempt, slope at the beginning but you can.

Luck