the "Ghost Recon Forever" Dedicated Server

ApexMods

hello, some Chilean players, after repeated insults and tk ¨ s, abusing the server know the password, banned two players.

The abusive and rude are: = 7L = Audaz, = 7L = O `connerR and E / F fuller.

could review the log of the game and allow ips banned?

Grettings, S3r

Edited by ser

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great games today, saw Rocky online for the first time.

There were some great long-tailed-cat-in-a-room-full-of-rocking-chairs moments when sixteen different people were editing the server and then there was the good ol' OICW grenade launcher and the MM1s.

Is it possible that somebody could get me the replay of the game on M03 RRBridge map? It happened earlier today though I cannot recall the specific time. It was the only time we played that map, appreciate if I could get a hold of it seeing as how I kicked some serious @$$ with my Accuracy International .338 bolt-action sniper rifle.

Of all Ghost Recon has to offer in the way of more realistic game modes (and mods), why is this server almost exclusively LMS? Is this speed-spam Rambo rush for the other teams spawn in the (usually successful) attempt to endlessly spawn rape the opposing team what modern Players feel is 'Tactical Realism'? If that' so, it's no wonder Blackfoot Studios had a rough go on Kickstarter...

I personally see less tactical depth in Ghost Recon's LMS play-mode then is offered on more honest arcade games like Counter-Strike (that it was derived from), or a hundreds of other 'me too' death-match games -- and there's less 'realism' in Ghost Recon LMS then is offered in the likes of Quake III Arena...

Am I the only one that regards Ghost Recon's COOP missions, SAR and Siege as the definitive game modes of the game and genre it virtually created? I know the CoD/MW Fanboys love the idea of a map the size of a small bathroom with 255 players, all shooting at once (and more if the net-code can barely be made to work with that) -- but really? This just makes me feel old, sad and disappointed for what FPS Realism and Tactical Realism specifically has become...

:(

Edited by 101459

...........Is it possible that somebody could get me the replay of the game on M03 RRBridge map? It happened earlier today though I cannot recall the specific time. It was the only time we played that map...........

Just a suggestion on the replay Riley,.... Keep something next to you to write down the server time & map name / # for the replay, it will definately make the person's task easier that is retrieving the replay....

Edited by FNG Saker

Yeah I was going to do that but forgot unfortunately Saker.

I think the biggest problem is that too many people know the password and too many people gripe like hell. You can't even play a game of Siege without fourteen people trying to kick you out of the game. Last Man Standing, Last Man Standing, Last Man Standing, it gets so old after awhile. I just want to play co-op but I guess I'll have to host a GameRanger server with some friends if I want that.

Yeah I was going to do that but forgot unfortunately Saker.

I think the biggest problem is that too many people know the password and too many people gripe like hell. You can't even play a game of Siege without fourteen people trying to kick you out of the game. Last Man Standing, Last Man Standing, Last Man Standing, it gets so old after awhile. I just want to play co-op but I guess I'll have to host a GameRanger server with some friends if I want that.

IMHO, Last man standing would be fine from time to time and also if only a few people are online and in the server and that is requested.

I tend to lean towards the quote below that 101459 made as that is how I used to run my server.

One of the very few games that one experiences -->

'Tactical Realism'

Am I the only one that regards Ghost Recon's COOP missions, SAR and Siege as the definitive game modes of the game and genre it virtually created?

Hang on before cranking up your server, as I think something may soon break in the way of Server Admins.

Best Regards,

Saker

Sadly I have not much time to participate, but I have a suggestion!

I think users (at GR.NET) could simply vote in wich modes, and maybe maps, they wanted to play.

Every week a poll would be held. Then, let's say, 50% wanted LMS, 25% wanted siege and 25% wanted coop, so we would have this arrangement:

- First LMS

- Then Siege

- Then LMS again

- Then Coop

- Then LMS again and so on...

About the maps, this could get a bit more complicated, because there are lots of maps. Maybe the maps could simply be chosen on the run, dunno.

Maps are fine, we just do whatever is said first. The gametype is the biggest problem though, I really really really think we need to go with Operative's idea. I get fed up with smart-alecky hackers trying to kick me, hijack the server, and demand that I set it to their exact wants. If we had a voting system it would eliminate most problems, and they would have to sign up for an account if they wanted a say in it.

Please have a consistent change of password like DKF, either weekly or monthly, the more frequent the better. Too many people know it.

Very soon now..we will have Reconlog up and running. There will be 3 admins, and 2 will be playing on the server quite a bit. A code of conduct for the server..(read, Server Rules) will be posted. First and foremost will be will be respect to other players. The disrespectful conduct will be dealt with, and soon we will have a fun environment to play in, leaving those that chose not to meet the server's standards to play elsewhere.

okay...reconlog is up and running. MMl is still a work in progress. The MMl blowing up option crashes the server, as it did with DK-F server. So that is not an option. So MMl is a work in progress. We're looking at getting some stickies posted in this forum for replay requests and postings.

I think RileyFletcher sensed my disappointment and frustration (which got started over a decade ago administering game servers), and PM'd me a few encouraging words, his sentiments (that I'll respect and keep private), and asked me about my thoughts on the GRN server situation -- I thought I'd echo them here for any other Admins that might care or benefit from my input.

My thoughts are: you summed up the problems better then I ever could... As for a solution, I think that's problematic; Ghost Recon being an older game lacks effective cheat protection but there are some 3rd party programs that deal with some of the issues.

My assumption that Ghost Recon now has such a small playing audience that these clowns would quickly get bored and go away doesn't seem to played out, as apparently anyone that has so little going on above the shoulders that they can do this as long as they already have probably gets relentless idiot pleasure from it and will never give up...

My suggestion would be to have a published Admin Schedule for the server, and ban list. On days and times when you or who ever else is administering the server feels up to the chore, you call the shots -- as IMHO if you're making the effort to Admin the server, you should get to do just that. In my experience this makes a server more popular in the long haul then pandering to democratic whims, and trouble makers...

To make this work better, and I'd bet Rocky might get behind it as it makes a good news item for the site, where a weekly schedule could be announced with: open game days, COOP days, and other specific game modes (and/or mods) for specified days and times, and also indicate specific rules that specific Admins will enforce on those days...

This gives everyone interests a fair run on the server, and I think that those spending the most time doing administrative duty should get to call the shots, and adjust the schedule according to their perception of what the server needs... I think if you just lay down the law, the server will be just as, if not more popular, as many people now just leave in disappointment and disgust. Some suggested rules and language for enforcement:

This is a private server, paid for and maintained by GRN its Agents and Administrators it is not a 'Free Speech' or democratic 'Public Property' venue -- this is a privately owned and operated server intended to serve the interests of GRN at the discretion of it's Agents and Administrators for fun, cheat free Ghost Recon Tactical Gaming.

Joining the server constitutes your acceptance of the server policy, you are personally responsible and liable for your conduct while playing on the server -- any abrogation of these terms or abuse in spirit may result in remedial action that may include immediate permanent ban and even legal redress without warning or notice.

Generally, mistakes may be tolerated, warned, and forgiven but repeat offenses, deliberate or willful abuse of any of the following may result in immediate and permanent ban:

· text spamming or flooding

· cheating or exploiting of any kind

· excessive swearing or insulting

· arguing with the Administrator

· deliberate or excessive team killing

The following may also be subject to enforcement by server Administrators on specific days and times according to the server schedule and discretion of the Administrator:

· Players must text in English

· no complaining about scheduled game mode, maps, or mods

· using weapons not allowed in scheduled games (pistols only, no OICW etc.)

· no griefing

· excessive bad sportsmanship

All are invited and welcome to join, are encouraged to support and work with their teams and enjoy GRN's Ghost Recon server on managed, open, and competition games -- but any malicious abuse of the rules, even in spirit may permanently limit your access to playing here.

Just my opinion, but I think it might help...

A weekly server schedule, updated weekly, biweekly or even monthly with days and times specific game modes (and/or mods) will be run, by what Administrators, maybe a little news about turn-out in previous week(s) and solicitation for a new week's discussion thread perhaps for mod requests could make for a nice regular news item; keeps everyone's expectations properly adjusted, and the server something more then just a play ground for Miscreants.

Just say'n....

:)

Edited by 101459

To: 101459

Your suggestions are good, and I am sure well taken.

There are server rules written, and possibly adjusted that will be posted in the near future.

To: RileyFletcher_01

You asked: So is there anything going on with the admins?

There have been choices made for Server Admins by the owners/sponsers of the server.

Best Regards,

Saker

Edited by FNG Saker

Groovy, that should help a lot! Any chance there'll be 'Mod Days' and some of Ghost Recon's ginormous catalog of mods will get a day in the sun on the server, or days dedicated to running specific game modes?

:)

Edited by 101459